Singapore Expats

Relocating to home country from Singapore

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
xenobia

Relocating to home country from Singapore

Post by xenobia » Mon, 01 Sep 2014 2:50 pm

Hi everyone,

I have a unique situation I need help with. I'm sorry if it will be longwinded before I get to the point.

I've been in Singapore for over 2.5 years on an EP. I've gotten a job in my home country and am relocating back. I've served notice to my employer which and my last day is the 19th of Sep.
I've served the 60 day notice to my landlord and I'm guessing this will be covered by the diplomatic clause we have.

Now the company I join in my home country has a background check, which takes 4-6 weeks. Tentatively it will be done by the 7th - 21st of October. They also cover complete relocation once the background check is done.

This brings me to my question. Can I leave Singapore after 19th Sep, and then visit Singapore for a week to complete my relocation ( once background check is done). I know I get a 30 day SVP post EP cancel, but I'm guessing that'll not be valid for re-entry. Will it be an issue if I leave and try to come back? Reason I'd like to do this is, I have anywhere from 2 weeks to a month of just sitting at home alone. I'd rather go home and spend time with family.

Thanks in Advance.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Mon, 01 Sep 2014 2:59 pm

Depends what country passport you hold.

If you go home before your exit SVP expires, you coming back will be like going as a tourist. Your SVP has already been used up and hence would need a new SVP (if you require one).
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Relocating to home country from Singapore

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 01 Sep 2014 2:59 pm

xenobia wrote:Hi everyone,

I have a unique situation I need help with. I'm sorry if it will be longwinded before I get to the point.
the 30 day SVP starts from the date the EP was canceled and it is your white card when you leave, and expires, so if EP cancelled on say 10 Sep, you get to stay till 10 October, but if you left Singapore on 11 Sep the visa is over.

better for you to return back on an arrival visa, if your passport is eligible for arrival visa!!!

xenobia

Post by xenobia » Mon, 01 Sep 2014 3:06 pm

Ah, so please confirm if I'm getting this right.

If I leave the country, I'll need to apply for a fresh visa to re-enter. Will there be any issues with this though? I'll obviously ensure all tax liability is taken care of before I leave ( Employer already held back last month paycheck).

Home country is India ( if this helps).

Thanks a ton again.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Mon, 01 Sep 2014 6:51 pm

xenobia wrote:Ah, so please confirm if I'm getting this right.

If I leave the country, I'll need to apply for a fresh visa to re-enter. Will there be any issues with this though? I'll obviously ensure all tax liability is taken care of before I leave ( Employer already held back last month paycheck).

Thanks a ton again.
Yes.

There shouldn't be since it's a clean break. You can always call ICA to "double confirm."
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

xenobia

Post by xenobia » Mon, 01 Sep 2014 8:14 pm

nakatago wrote:
xenobia wrote:Ah, so please confirm if I'm getting this right.

Thanks a ton again.
Yes.

There shouldn't be since it's a clean break. You can always call ICA to "double confirm."

Thanks so much for your help. I had one more question. For tourist visas for me and my partner to help me, can we apply for visas without a local sponsor?