Singapore Expats

Help from slingbox users

Discuss about computers & Internet. Including mobile phones, home appliances & other gadgets. Read about Windows security risks or virus updates.
shawzy

Help from slingbox users

Post by shawzy » Sun, 02 May 2010 12:12 pm

Hi, can anyone help. We have a slingbox HD in the uk and streaming video to singapore. Our uplaod speeds here range from 3-6 Meg and download speeds between 20 -80Meg..... BUT....

...our slingplayer will only stream / upload at around 1/10th the speed (300-600kbps). Does anyone know how to improve this?

By the way my parents in the uk can sream sling on to their PC at around 6meg. We have tied both laptops but performance is similar. Is our 2.4Ghz core duo processor sufficient for what we need?

Will slingcatcher help?

Thanks in advance

durain
Director
Director

Post by durain » Sun, 02 May 2010 9:46 pm

what's the upload speed at your parents house in UK? slingbox need fast upload speed at source. are you also streaming HD?

i only got the standard slingbox and works a treat on my starhub cable modem at 8meg speed. my slingbox upload speed is at 1.2meg.

using it on a laptop, only a pentium m 1.6GHz.

Wellman
Regular
Regular

Post by Wellman » Mon, 03 May 2010 10:15 am

Thinking about getting a slingbox, there seems to be quite a few models out there, what are the differences?

durain
Director
Director

Post by durain » Tue, 04 May 2010 1:25 am

wellman, i only got the bog standard slingbox classic. had it for a few years now.

Wellman
Regular
Regular

Post by Wellman » Tue, 04 May 2010 9:20 am

durain wrote:wellman, i only got the bog standard slingbox classic. had it for a few years now.
durain, are you inputting a coaxial cable into your slingbox? I think that's what I'll need to do.

durain
Director
Director

Post by durain » Tue, 04 May 2010 5:10 pm

my slingbox has freeview built-in but i am using it to connect to a sky digibox.

Wellman
Regular
Regular

Post by Wellman » Tue, 04 May 2010 5:17 pm

durain wrote:my slingbox has freeview built-in but i am using it to connect to a sky digibox.
Freeview built in? :o What exact model is it durain?

durain
Director
Director

Post by durain » Tue, 04 May 2010 5:34 pm

stiwi
Chatter
Chatter

Post by stiwi » Fri, 07 May 2010 10:09 pm

@shawzy, I have a similar problem. Once in Europe, I can stream at 2000+ kbps but not here in Singapore, where I get similar speeds to yours.

I have already tested that on Starhub, which routes their traffic through US and Singtel, which has a direct connections with UK. Both were showing similar results. And that was strange especially that Singtel, based on tracroute results, has a direct connection with the UK network backbone where my Slingbox is located. So in terms of routing, it couldn't be better.

The solution on this is to use a proxy server. It is usually hard to find a good and free one, so you should better look around at UK proxy paid alternatives.

Before buying a slingcatcher, you should be aware that Slingmedia doesn't really provide a good support for this device. They haven't also implemented a proxy support for this device, meaning that if you have bad speed with direct connection, there is nothing you can do.

durain
Director
Director

Post by durain » Fri, 07 May 2010 10:30 pm

yep, proxy is the way to go if you want to watch UK TV and to get UK content. that's what i use more than slingbox.

Wellman
Regular
Regular

Post by Wellman » Mon, 10 May 2010 10:33 am

Checked at home and I will only have a 200kb upload speed. Not good news at all. Am I still able to broadcast at this speed with lower quality of video?

stiwi
Chatter
Chatter

Post by stiwi » Mon, 10 May 2010 10:45 am

Wellman wrote:Checked at home and I will only have a 200kb upload speed. Not good news at all. Am I still able to broadcast at this speed with lower quality of video?
I wouldn't even try that. 1 Mbit/s upload is the least you should be looking for.