Singapore Expats

Are Singapore notebooks cheaper than other countries?

Discuss about computers & Internet. Including mobile phones, home appliances & other gadgets. Read about Windows security risks or virus updates.
UncleO

Are Singapore notebooks cheaper than other countries?

Post by UncleO » Thu, 06 Dec 2007 6:00 am

Generally, are notebooks sold in Singapore cheaper than those in other countries?

bigfilsing
Reporter
Reporter

Post by bigfilsing » Thu, 06 Dec 2007 7:47 am

Not really, although like anywhere else there's the occaisional good deal/special offer.

Best to buy where you live for the warranty. Certainly with a lap top.
Good luck

footprintss

Post by footprintss » Wed, 23 Jan 2008 11:44 pm

depends where u buy and warranty.. maybe sim lim, audio house or harvey norman...
some say taiwan also cheap, for asus..

ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager

Post by ScoobyDoes » Thu, 24 Jan 2008 9:30 am

I know for sure that Hong Kong is cheaper than Singapore, bought mine there much cheaper for a very similar (not same) model Toshiba.

Supposed to come with International Warranty etc. but will cross that bridge if i have to.

thaingo

Post by thaingo » Sat, 16 Feb 2008 11:24 pm

ScoobyDoes wrote:I know for sure that Hong Kong is cheaper than Singapore, bought mine there much cheaper for a very similar (not same) model Toshiba.

Supposed to come with International Warranty etc. but will cross that bridge if i have to.
I also think like you. Laptop in Singapore maybe just be cheaper than in other countries in Big Promotion seasons.
P/S: what do you mean with "cross that bridge" pls? Do you mean just only you have to buy in Sing then you do? :) I'm not very good at English.

rihhana_taylor

Post by rihhana_taylor » Thu, 21 Feb 2008 2:36 am

I don't think they are cheaper than other countries.

ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager

Post by ScoobyDoes » Thu, 21 Feb 2008 5:50 pm

thaingo wrote:
ScoobyDoes wrote:I know for sure that Hong Kong is cheaper than Singapore, bought mine there much cheaper for a very similar (not same) model Toshiba.

I also think like you. Laptop in Singapore maybe just be cheaper than in other countries in Big Promotion seasons.
P/S: what do you mean with "cross that bridge" pls? Do you mean just only you have to buy in Sing then you do? :) I'm not very good at English.

Means...... never assume that when a seller says "international warranty" that it actually exists and that you'll only know when you need it. Hundreds of years ago bridges were always dangerous so people wouldn't go over until they had no choice.

rasserie

Post by rasserie » Tue, 04 Mar 2008 1:26 pm

price range from 1k to abt 2.5k

anything more u r paying for the brand name

durain
Director
Director

Post by durain » Tue, 04 Mar 2008 6:27 pm

rasserie wrote:price range from 1k to abt 2.5k

anything more u r paying for the brand name
how long is a piece of string? :roll:

envee

Post by envee » Wed, 05 Mar 2008 2:00 pm

It depends on wich country I guess. I aprox saved around 800-1k S$ on buying a Dell here, than buying it back in Norway.

And as said earlier, it's always some kind of promotion here wich gives you a 1gb or 2 extra ram etc. But ofcourse places like Hong Kong is even cheaper.

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Wed, 05 Mar 2008 3:03 pm

envee wrote:It depends on wich country I guess. I aprox saved around 800-1k S$ on buying a Dell here, than buying it back in Norway.

And as said earlier, it's always some kind of promotion here wich gives you a 1gb or 2 extra ram etc. But ofcourse places like Hong Kong is even cheaper.
Actually a few factors exsist, like volume discounts, of the importer and the Countries value added tax.....with most Countries bigger than Singapore in population, and freight charges, being cheaper for empty containers returning, there are a few advantages, if one looks around. But singapore is by no means is cheap, also because the importer is also marking up, to the retailer, who marks up, to the end user.

If possible find an importer, that is selling direct, in all Countries, rather than a retail outlet. Scandinavia is very high in VAT, MOMS,