Singapore Expats

Radios and TVs etc from UK

Discuss about computers & Internet. Including mobile phones, home appliances & other gadgets. Read about Windows security risks or virus updates.
Inbound Bob

Radios and TVs etc from UK

Post by Inbound Bob » Sat, 21 Apr 2007 3:08 am

I am due in Singapore in a few weeks and wondered if UK Digital Radios, Digital TV Boxes, TV sets etc are compatible. I am guessing that they are not but thought i'd check. Will probably have loads more questions in due course as I go through my lists but this is a starter for ten.

micknlea
Reporter
Reporter

Post by micknlea » Sat, 21 Apr 2007 10:07 pm

Singapore works on same voltage etc as UK, even uses UK type plugs. Most appliances will work just fine here.
"My husband said it was him or the cat...I miss him sometimes." - Unknown

Inbound Bob

Post by Inbound Bob » Mon, 23 Apr 2007 8:12 pm

OK, thanks.

Are the Digital Radio and Digital TV (and Analogue come to that) Signals the same standards as UK as well?

seasider
Chatter
Chatter

Post by seasider » Tue, 24 Apr 2007 12:12 am

It's not that straight-forward, Inbound. I don't know anything about Digital Radio at all. I don't know the techy bits about TVs but our UK one did NOT work here without being through the cable box, and then it took some configuring. They are different PAL systems and we could get pictures but no sound. (We now live in a non-cabled area so had to buy a new one and give our UK one to our friends' kids for watching DVDs on.)

These days you may be ok if your TV is a newish multi-system model.

Re. your digital TV box, what exactly do you mean? A Set Top Box? Like a Sky box? No, you'll need one specific to the local cable supplier. (Satellite is not allowed here, the govt can't control what we watch.)

Sorry I'm not geeky enough to explain this very well, you probably need to search the archives of this or some of the other expatty forums as it's been covered many times.

Inbound Bob

Post by Inbound Bob » Tue, 24 Apr 2007 4:22 am

Seasider

Well you might be geekier than you think. That covers most of it for me anyway.

The set-top box I have is a UK Freeview box and has a hard drive in it for recording. Basically it receives Terrestrial Digital TV (ie not Sky & not cable.) From what I have read elsewhere I don't think that Singapore has adopted this system (unless anyone else out there can tell otherwise.) On the DAB Digital Radio side of things I think that Singapore has adopted this system.

I thought that the PAL systems were different. I'll bring my TV and see if I can get it working on the cable. My company is shipping my stuff anyway so a bit more won't hurt.

As you suggest I'll trawl through the forums in a bit more detail.

Ta

micknlea
Reporter
Reporter

Post by micknlea » Tue, 24 Apr 2007 12:14 pm

You are right the PAL systems here (it is B/G) is different to the UK (where is it the I system) and so there may be problems, most people I know who have fairly new sets have not had problems though (no doubt multi system). As Seasider says, the cable link often corrects the problem anyway.
Doubt that your digital box will work here, there is no digital feed here.

Singapore does have DAB radio system though and it should work fine here.
"My husband said it was him or the cat...I miss him sometimes." - Unknown

lost_canuck
Chatter
Chatter

Post by lost_canuck » Tue, 24 Apr 2007 6:56 pm

Inbound Bob wrote:Seasider

Well you might be geekier than you think. That covers most of it for me anyway.

The set-top box I have is a UK Freeview box and has a hard drive in it for recording. Basically it receives Terrestrial Digital TV (ie not Sky & not cable.) From what I have read elsewhere I don't think that Singapore has adopted this system (unless anyone else out there can tell otherwise.) On the DAB Digital Radio side of things I think that Singapore has adopted this system.

I thought that the PAL systems were different. I'll bring my TV and see if I can get it working on the cable. My company is shipping my stuff anyway so a bit more won't hurt.

As you suggest I'll trawl through the forums in a bit more detail.

Ta
an answer from someone who brought their DAB radio and digital TV from the UK, Digital TV doesn't work here, as seasider says, you have to get a cable box, but we have a wharfdale from Argos with built in tuner and it runs fine through starhub box, no problems.

DAB radios work here too, but you don't get UK stations :P and yes I know it is obvious that you wouldn't get them but the radio works fine, you even get BBC world service.

We bought an internet radio because I was missing one word, and BBC 7, and Canadian radio too, and now we get all the stations you could ever want so I recommend it. You can buy them at Sim Lim square.

Inbound Bob

Post by Inbound Bob » Tue, 24 Apr 2007 9:39 pm

lost_canuck & micknlea

Thanks that has filled in the gaps for me and confirmed what I thought. I'll bring my DAB but flog my Freeview/PVR on ebay.

Good idea about the Internet Radio, I'll need to get my Radio 4 fix from time to time. I'll do some Internet Radio on my PC but no point having that switched on the whole time. Good that you get the World Service direct on DAB though.

Cheers

Sonus
Regular
Regular

Post by Sonus » Wed, 25 Apr 2007 11:14 am

lost_canuck wrote: We bought an internet radio because I was missing one word, and BBC 7, and Canadian radio too, and now we get all the stations you could ever want so I recommend it. You can buy them at Sim Lim square.
Hi, may i know what brand, price, shop and model did you bought your internet radio? Thanks. :)

lost_canuck
Chatter
Chatter

Post by lost_canuck » Thu, 26 Apr 2007 2:35 pm

It's an AE radio

and we bought it in SIM LIM Square, on the first floor, it's on the web site. Not cheap but well worth it if you are wanting to listen to radio in another room from home and not having the have the PC running.