Singapore Expats

Have anyone managed to stream amazon prime video with roku in singapore?

Discuss about computers & Internet. Including mobile phones, home appliances & other gadgets. Read about Windows security risks or virus updates.
unni9946

Have anyone managed to stream amazon prime video with roku in singapore?

Post by unni9946 » Thu, 07 May 2020 10:30 pm

Hi friends,

Have anyone here managed to stream Amazon prime video on Roku at Singapore? Unfortunately I bought a Roku and it is now getting on my nerves.

lots of channels in roku are not supported in Singapore. Any suggestions?

Myasis Dragon
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 23

Re: Have anyone managed to stream amazon prime video with roku in singapore?

Post by Myasis Dragon » Sat, 09 May 2020 8:47 pm

It is neither Singapore nor your Roku that prevents you from streaming. Virtually all content providers (your movies and TV shows), restrict the areas in which their material can be shown.

You used to be able to setup a USA VPN to get a USA based IP address to fool the streaming services. But free VPN is not very fast, and the streaming companies are getting better and better at identifying VPN IP's. This might still work with a suitable VPN service.

Otherwise, you'll need a friend with a Slingbox or something similar to make a USA feed available to you.

unni9946

Post by unni9946 » Thu, 21 May 2020 12:04 pm

I am aware about the region restrictions. But this “amazon primevideo” channel itself is not present in roku from Singapore. If it can be bypassed by a vpn, does it requires a US based roku account as well?

Myasis Dragon
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 23

Post by Myasis Dragon » Thu, 21 May 2020 10:10 pm

unni9946 wrote:
Thu, 21 May 2020 12:04 pm
I am aware about the region restrictions. But this “amazon primevideo” channel itself is not present in roku from Singapore. If it can be bypassed by a vpn, does it requires a US based roku account as well?
You need a US based account with a US based address. The applications that your Roku device will load are dependent upon where you reside. My experience is that two things are true.
  1. You must have the US based account to even be considered for services available in the USA
  2. Your IP address for the device must match the range of IP addresses that are acceptable in the USA. And as I have noted, content providers are getting better and better at finding VPN proxies.
You can thank content thieves for this situation.