Singapore Expats Forum

VPN Recommendation

Discuss about computers & Internet. Including mobile phones, home appliances & other gadgets. Read about Windows security risks or virus updates.
bgd
Editor
Editor

Re: VPN Recommendation

Postby bgd » Tue, 24 Oct 2017 11:04 am

I use Torguard. Works for me and did get good ratings when I was looking a couple of years back. But review the rating sites, these things are fluid.

I haven't tried it with Netflix but I understand they block most VPN servers.

chowster235

Postby chowster235 » Tue, 13 Feb 2018 6:39 pm

Turbo VPN and Super VPN are good VPNs that are free to use! You can download them via the App Store or Google Play, depending on what phone you are using

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Postby rajagainstthemachine » Mon, 09 Apr 2018 10:44 am

paid one: NordVPN pretty excellent if you ask me.
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

TWeeZY

Postby TWeeZY » Thu, 13 Sep 2018 5:04 pm

I downloaded a few apps so when one doesnt work, I will switch to the other

Mikeaustin

Postby Mikeaustin » Thu, 27 Sep 2018 7:17 pm

I have used tunnel bear,Torguard and Purevpn. The Tunnel bear and purevpn works good here in singapore speacially purevpn because it does have a wide range of servers which make easier to access netflix as compare to Torguard which servers are blocked by netflix, and tunnel bear is my favourite when it comes to gaming and also its free. You can get more details about both of them and their features for singapore user from there websites.

https://www.tunnelbear.com/
https://www.purevpn.com/singapore-vpn-service.php

lopis

Postby lopis » Tue, 16 Oct 2018 10:13 pm

I use Opera VPN, it's good enough for Internet surfing!

JoelN

Postby JoelN » Wed, 17 Oct 2018 4:09 pm

I've been using Surfshark for a few months now. I wanted to try a new provider and these guys offer split tunneling and unlimited device support, something I haven't seen other VPNs do. They're growing now so there's a discount from time to time, would suggest just googling them up and see if you like it.

sapphiresoul

Postby sapphiresoul » Sun, 28 Oct 2018 9:50 am

Been using Express VPN which works for Netflix... but I heard Nord VPN is pretty good..

sapphiresoul

Postby sapphiresoul » Sun, 28 Oct 2018 9:53 am

Hmm... apparently here's the list of topVPN, but i'd be cautious to say Express VPN is the best... it has its delays I find
https://www.itproportal.com/guides/top- ... -for-2018/

sapphiresoul

Postby sapphiresoul » Fri, 09 Nov 2018 3:14 pm

hmm anyone's got a price comparison across the VPN services?

unclaimedtrill

Postby unclaimedtrill » Fri, 04 Jan 2019 2:29 am

I haven't done an all-out price comparison, but from what I've read about different VPNs ExpressVPN is a bit pricey but worth the money. Free VPNs or lifetime subscription VPNs are best avoided. And personally I use Surfshark, it's new on the market but has gathered a lot of positive reviews, the server amount might be just a bit higher, but the speeds are second to none. And they have been audited by cybersecurity experts and received a good review on extension privacy, so far I think it's one of the top choices out there.

londonsg

Postby londonsg » Thu, 10 Jan 2019 6:31 pm

AirVPN - https://airvpn.org/ ... Been using it for about 5 years.

Free ones I wouldnt touch if you value your privacy/security (also usually very slow).

I have tried others, NordVPN I found to be awful (even though they are now quite big). Their software often leaks your IP and they dont have a proper network lock facility in their software when your connection is interrupted which is really amatuer.

unclaimedtrill

Postby unclaimedtrill » Fri, 11 Jan 2019 1:24 am

How is AirVPN? Since you're using it for five years I guess you're satisfied? Speeds, leaks, bypassing geo restrictions all good? Haven't tried them but I can see why looks very expensive :D

For cheaper alternatives here's a review on Surfshark https://www.comparitech.com/vpn/reviews ... rk-review/

but the discount there is not accurate, use "greatshark" coupon if you want to get 83%. Still, they're not even a year old, going for AirVPN if you have the money might be worth it. Thanks for the info too

londonsg

Postby londonsg » Fri, 11 Jan 2019 9:11 am

unclaimedtrill wrote:How is AirVPN? Since you're using it for five years I guess you're satisfied? Speeds, leaks, bypassing geo restrictions all good? Haven't tried them but I can see why looks very expensive :D

For cheaper alternatives here's a review on Surfshark https://www.comparitech.com/vpn/reviews ... rk-review/

but the discount there is not accurate, use "greatshark" coupon if you want to get 83%. Still, they're not even a year old, going for AirVPN if you have the money might be worth it. Thanks for the info too

Yeah I'm satisfied with them. Used it in UK, Malaysia, SG and lots of other countries in Europe and had no problem. I even used it from my iPhone using the OpenVPN app.

IMO if you skimp on the cost of VPN you are probably getting something that is quite poor in other ways, like you said: speed, leaking, them saving logs on activity etc. If you are paying nothing or very little then the company must be making up money in other ways, which kinda defeats the point of the VPN in the first place :D

Just as a side, if you are more security conscious I'd also recommend ProtonMail (Email) and Tresorit (Cloud file storage). Both have free very basic accounts but I now pay for.

I've been working in IT for a long time but I don't work for any of these companies :)

Hope this helps.

unclaimedtrill

Postby unclaimedtrill » Fri, 11 Jan 2019 6:47 pm

londonsg wrote:
Just as a side, if you are more security conscious I'd also recommend ProtonMail (Email) and Tresorit (Cloud file storage). Both have free very basic accounts but I now pay for.

I've been working in IT for a long time but I don't work for any of these companies :)

Hope this helps.

I'm using ProtonMail already, but thanks for recommending Tresorit, never heard of them. I know Proton has a VPN too but haven't tried it. And I agree with your point that free VPNs are definitely a danger, but Surfshark is paid, even though the cost is really low. My guess is that they are building their userbase as a newcomer in the market, that's why. Anyway, they have been reviewed for their security, you can read it here if interested, so they have my trust so far. But it's good there are different providers in the market, you can always choose the one that suits your needs most.