Singapore Expats

Who has a will here?

Announcements, promotions, news, help. Ask about registrations, avatars, PM and others. Post all your forum and Singapore Expats site related questions here.
tham53

Who has a will here?

Post by tham53 » Thu, 29 Oct 2020 11:24 am

I am planning to have my own will. Any ideas on what are the things to consider?

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Re: Who has a will here?

Post by PNGMK » Thu, 29 Oct 2020 2:06 pm

I have a will and a way.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

martincymru
Reporter
Reporter

Post by martincymru » Thu, 29 Oct 2020 4:28 pm

Can I draft and manage my own Will? I want to modify regularly and don't want to go back forth every 5 minutes to a lawyer

x9200

Post by x9200 » Thu, 29 Oct 2020 5:18 pm

tham53 wrote:
Thu, 29 Oct 2020 11:24 am
I am planning to have my own will. Any ideas on what are the things to consider?

Gosh, first the bed bugs and now the will.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 29 Oct 2020 9:38 pm

I did the will for my previous employer's elderly father. After he passed on a couple of years ago (around 10 years after I made up the will) I got a call from the family lawyer. Wanted to know if I'd kept a copy of the will I'd drawn up (to confirm it's validity). I did and it passed muster and the will was administered. You can find basic boilerplate wills online and modify the contents to your needs. Worked okay.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Fri, 30 Oct 2020 10:39 am

^ you're a brave man. Mind you if it's straight forward ("I, SMS, leave everything I own to the Democrat Party") then ok but if you expect a contested situation it's much trickier - for example; ("I, SMS, leave everything to the Democrat Party and nothing to my wretched relatives") will not work because there are expectations (legally speaking) that dependents (wretched or not) need to be provided for and even non dependents need to have specific exclusions clauses, e.g. ("I, SMS, leave nothing to the Republican party as they have betrayed the trust of the American people").
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 30 Oct 2020 5:21 pm

Actually it was contested and that was the reason for the contact. One of the two sons was contesting the will (two sons, one of which was my boss) one of which was gay and the other straight. The eldest (the gay one) contested the will, but it was held up in court.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

malcontent
Manager
Manager
Answers: 8

Post by malcontent » Thu, 02 Dec 2021 6:11 pm

One of my fiery university professors (he was from Syria) touched on this topic during one of the lectures. He said that if you really want to be sure that your wretched child doesn’t get anything when you pass away, make sure you expressly state in your will that you wish to leave them exactly one dollar. That will leave zero doubt about your proclivities, and make it almost impossible to contest.
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 02 Dec 2021 9:41 pm

^^^^Long story, but this I know for fact even though the will was eventually changed long before it needed to be read.

malcontent
Manager
Manager
Answers: 8

Post by malcontent » Thu, 02 Dec 2021 11:31 pm

It’s a similar concept when you get poor service at a restaurant in the US… you leave a one cent tip just to make sure they know you didn’t forget them!
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

abbby
Manager
Manager
Answers: 2

Post by abbby » Sun, 05 Dec 2021 4:25 pm

Can I say LPA is also important...as impt as a will?
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made. - Groucho Marx (1890-1977)

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 05 Dec 2021 8:21 pm

Depending on how simple your financials are here, you can possibly get by with the LPA. To me it's potentially more important than a will. (My point of view only)