Singapore Expats

Giving Up Braces

Discuss about beauty & health. Need some advice or looking for a particular product? Share your beauty and health tips here.
fatmouse76
Regular
Regular

Giving Up Braces

Post by fatmouse76 » Thu, 18 Oct 2012 12:16 pm

Hii all, :) I previously had 2 dracula fangs on my upper teeth. now after putting on creamic braces, they have levelled down. I just put on my lower braces 3 days ago,,and the soreness is irritating me a lot.
I am happy with my teeth now. Well the dentist said he wanted to extract 2 teeth from the upper level to make space which of course I dont wish to.

I feel like telling them to take off everything as I am happy with what I have now and I dont wish to go on, has anyone done that before ?

Will there be any effects later on ?

Thanks in advance!

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Thu, 18 Oct 2012 5:03 pm

my observation and many recounts from non-singaporeans tell me that singapore dentists (in general) love to EXTRACT TEETH.

if you're unsure, PLEASE get a second, third or even fourth opinion. coz once you pull em out, that's that.

v4jr4
Reporter
Reporter

Post by v4jr4 » Thu, 18 Oct 2012 5:12 pm

taxico wrote:my observation and many recounts from non-singaporeans tell me that singapore dentists (in general) love to EXTRACT TEETH.

if you're unsure, PLEASE get a second, third or even fourth opinion. coz once you pull em out, that's that.
Reminds me about my cracked tooth. One of the dentist suggested me to do extraction for 60S$ (one shot), while the other dentist suggested me to do root canal treatment for 1200S$ (3 sessions). My choice? Extraction. I was on tight budget after all :P
Last edited by v4jr4 on Thu, 18 Oct 2012 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Budget Expat"

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Thu, 18 Oct 2012 5:16 pm

FYI, if teeth are to be extracted for orthodontics, it usually should be almost always the wisdom teeth as they're near-vestigial.

If your mouth wasn't crowded with teeth before and the only change was your canines are now not that prominent, what would have the extractions for? You r dentist feeling a bit obsessive compulsive? I noticed you said "he wanted." The only effects probably would be that they'll be crowded and that your tooth will become crooked again eventually. But then again, they invented retainers.

EDIT: he wanted to extract teeth after the orthodontics did their job?! Get another dentist.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

andrealeong4

Post by andrealeong4 » Tue, 11 Dec 2012 3:30 pm

I got my teeth sorted out as well.
Naaa, itl be fine, it might remain sore for a bit thats all. :)

rclark

Post by rclark » Thu, 13 Dec 2012 8:36 am

nakatago wrote:FYI, if teeth are to be extracted for orthodontics, it usually should be almost always the wisdom teeth as they're near-vestigial.

If your mouth wasn't crowded with teeth before and the only change was your canines are now not that prominent, what would have the extractions for? You r dentist feeling a bit obsessive compulsive? I noticed you said "he wanted." The only effects probably would be that they'll be crowded and that your tooth will become crooked again eventually. But then again, they invented retainers.

EDIT: he wanted to extract teeth after the orthodontics did their job?! Get another dentist.
Indeed. Did you orthodontist prescribe a retainer for you to use post-braces? I'd continue using that and see how it goes.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 13 Dec 2012 11:04 am

tic...toc...tic...toc....
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Cath C
Regular
Regular

Post by Cath C » Thu, 13 Dec 2012 12:30 pm

When I was 12, the dentist recommended that I have 4 teeth extracted - 2 on the top and 2 on the bottom to make more space before I got braces. (I've also had all my wisdom teeth out - it's amazing that I can still chew at all!)

Anyway, they did the first two, then I switched dentists, and he said that I didn't need them removed after all, so it's definitely worth a second opinion.

morenangpinay
Reporter
Reporter

Post by morenangpinay » Mon, 14 Jan 2013 4:12 pm

i had a similar problem before. My two upper canine were protruding so my dentist (my bro) extracted 2 molars (one each side) to get more space. BUT this was done prior to the braces. Also if you are over 21 (i think) all your teeth have already come out so you dont expect new ones to grow other than your wisdom teeth.

get a 2nd opinion. but i doubt you need it if its already after the braces.

I also noticed the same for local optometrist and doctors...they tend to give you all these medicines when you only need 1. Plus I went to an optometrist and he prescribed me glasses which was higher (in cost and grade) than the one I was using. When I went home to my own country, the optometrist told me i didnt need any glasses, if i wanted i could but its not necessary.