Singapore Expats

Meditation for stress relief; does it work?

Discuss about beauty & health. Need some advice or looking for a particular product? Share your beauty and health tips here.
serendipity
Regular
Regular

Meditation for stress relief; does it work?

Post by serendipity » Mon, 17 Apr 2006 10:23 pm

Bottomline, does it really work? How long does it take to "master" it?

If you meditate regularly, can you share your experiences, how you got into it and in what way it has been beneficial for you? This can of course include religious prayer but only if you pray for the purpose of calming your mind and as a form of meditation. All the god-bothering asking him/her/it for stuff doesn't count! :P

Of course, anyone who wants to debunk meditation is welcome to do so as well.

Any books or sites that you particularly recommend (either for or against meditation) would be helpful as well.

tiki
Reporter
Reporter

Post by tiki » Tue, 18 Apr 2006 12:28 am

It's in the breathing.
'If you feel alive
in a darkened room
Do you know the name
of your solitude..'

Charlene

what do you mean by work?

Post by Charlene » Tue, 18 Apr 2006 12:59 am

when you asked if it works, my question to you is what are you looking for as proof that it does?

Honestly friend, meditation is just like sleeping. it is something you fall into and not rushed into. The more desperate you seek, the least possible you will master it. And like being asleep, you will know when you are there. :wink:

And yes, breathing helps. Calms you and helps you to concentrate.

Em Eye
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Em Eye » Tue, 18 Apr 2006 7:56 pm

If you can find a class or something I would be interested in learning how to f meditate.

serendipity
Regular
Regular

Post by serendipity » Tue, 18 Apr 2006 10:27 pm

I'd be interested too, especially errr in the breathing :lol: As weird as it might sound, I reckon I need to learn how to control my breathing...
tiki wrote:It's in the breathing.
But am still curious... did you mean that specifically to me considering you'd know that I was walking around while talking on the phone only from my breathing or just in general?

Charlene

Post by Charlene » Wed, 19 Apr 2006 12:25 am

you wanna learn? ok, here's how - start with deep breathing, the kind that pushes your lungs in all directions.. chest rise, abdomen pushed forward and rib cage expanded front, side and back. when you are used to breathing this way, try to lengthen each inhalation and exhalation keeping it at the ratio of 1:1. eg: 5 counts inhale, 5 counts exhale. tell you the rest next time. :wink:

kk_lass
Reporter
Reporter

Post by kk_lass » Wed, 19 Apr 2006 5:49 pm

Meditation ... is a matter of letting go the wordly stuffs and just leave ur mind empty..?
Breathing part - i agree.. Just like when u r panicky or stress, it always help to take deep and long breath.. why? To calm the heart, to get in more oxygen to the lung ..etc And thus, breathing is quite important..

The issue is meditation..?? Or relieving stress??
There are 101 ways to relieve stress i guess..
Each has to find his/her ways.. :)
LEVERAGE ~ The ability to do MORE and MORE with less and less

Charlene

Post by Charlene » Thu, 20 Apr 2006 12:36 am

you need to be able to control your mind before you know how to empty it. controlling the mind involves concentration, and breathing is one method that helps you to attain that. Plus, breathing with emphasis on exhalation helps the body to accommodate changes and thus has a calming effect, which brings you to a better state to concentrate.

hey, i usually charge for teaching these! now you're getting it free. :roll:

tiki
Reporter
Reporter

Post by tiki » Thu, 20 Apr 2006 9:38 am

serendipity wrote:I'd be interested too, especially errr in the breathing :lol: As weird as it might sound, I reckon I need to learn how to control my breathing...
tiki wrote:It's in the breathing.
But am still curious... did you mean that specifically to me considering you'd know that I was walking around while talking on the phone only from my breathing or just in general?
You can tell a lot by a person's breathing, whether they're relaxed or otherwise and in some cases, whether they are telling the truth.

Granted you can mask certain things by controlling your breathing, but a controlled relaxed breathing differs totally from a naturally relaxed breath.

...because most of us were born with all the five senses intact and functioning collectively, we tend to overlook them, as an individual.

It is when you lose one sense that the others become heightened.

'Meditation' taps into your inner self and helps you appreciate your senses, individually.
'If you feel alive
in a darkened room
Do you know the name
of your solitude..'

Uh_huh
Regular
Regular

Post by Uh_huh » Tue, 25 Apr 2006 1:06 pm

Em Eye Posted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 7:56 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you can find a class or something I would be interested in learning how to f meditate.

Hey I have the same problem too, whenever I meditate, somehow I start thinking about sex. When I breathe, the blood goes south.

Must concentrate,.............
must.......... bring...........
blood back to brain......

But seriously, I think meditation training should not be self taught. Its better to have a trained teacher. A good looking one would be a plus, although I would reccommend the average Joe or Jane. Can concentrate better.......... Oops

Must concentrate,.............
must.......... bring.........
blood back to brain......
Of course I'm insane, thats because I'm a freaking genius.
So you and you and you, get out of my mind!

VENI VIDI VICI
VENGENCE IS MINE!!!!

Uh_huh
Regular
Regular

Post by Uh_huh » Tue, 25 Apr 2006 1:10 pm

Charlene wrote:
hey, i usually charge for teaching these! now you're getting it free. :roll:
OK Charlene, I'll bite.

Where do you teach?

I would like to know more about your type of meditation. Is it one of the indian types of meditation?
We could hold this discussion off thread. If you like.

Thanks
[email protected]
Of course I'm insane, thats because I'm a freaking genius.
So you and you and you, get out of my mind!

VENI VIDI VICI
VENGENCE IS MINE!!!!