Singapore Expats

Waste water tested for Covid19

Discuss about beauty & health. Need some advice or looking for a particular product? Share your beauty and health tips here.
abbby
Manager
Manager
Answers: 2

Post by abbby » Tue, 01 Jun 2021 10:24 am

The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made. - Groucho Marx (1890-1977)

MOCHS
Reporter
Reporter

Re: Waste water tested for Covid19

Post by MOCHS » Tue, 01 Jun 2021 7:16 pm

They’ve been testing since last year and that’s how NUS UTown residents had to undergo testing in March...

BBCDoc
Chatter
Chatter

Post by BBCDoc » Wed, 02 Jun 2021 10:23 pm

I met the PhD student who designed the wastewater test, and made fun of her that it gave a false positive and temporarily quarantined the dorm…think she’s off to the US for further studies now…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There's always room for one more

x9200

Post by x9200 » Thu, 03 Jun 2021 7:26 am

What worries me more and more are the fully vaccinated cases.
https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/si ... s-14934222
The four cases added to Wednesday's case count were all fully vaccinated against COVID-19.

They include a 30-year-old Philippine national who is a nursing aide at the home. She developed a runny nose, cough and sore throat on May 29 but did not seek medical attention. She was placed on quarantine on Jun 1 and tested positive on the same day.

The other three cases - Singaporean women aged 47, 55 and 64 - are residents at MINDSville@Napiri. All experienced symptoms of COVID-19.
What is the fraction of fully vaccinated among all the recent cases? Looks pretty high to me base on newspaper reports. Are the Phase 3 trials for Pfizer and Moderna with the 95% claimed efficacy based on Covid-19 symptomatic protection?

MOCHS
Reporter
Reporter

Post by MOCHS » Thu, 03 Jun 2021 7:51 am

Immune response from vaccination varies from person to person. As explained in this video, about 30% of vaccinated individuals will produce antibodies that protect them for years. For the rest, it might be short term and they would probably need annual booster jabs.

So far, those vaccinated do not need oxygen therapy so it’s still better to be vaccinated. Having some protection is better than having none.

abbby
Manager
Manager

Post by abbby » Thu, 03 Jun 2021 9:41 am

MOCHS wrote:
Thu, 03 Jun 2021 7:51 am
Immune response from vaccination varies from person to person. As explained in this video, about 30% of vaccinated individuals will produce antibodies that protect them for years. For the rest, it might be short term and they would probably need annual booster jabs.

So far, those vaccinated do not need oxygen therapy so it’s still better to be vaccinated. Having some protection is better than having none.

Yes i believe probably the vaccinated might still get it, but milder. Just like chicken pox, even if you are vaccinated you still get it, but milder and recovers faster.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made. - Groucho Marx (1890-1977)

x9200

Post by x9200 » Thu, 03 Jun 2021 10:00 am

The mentioned efficacy is based on statistics inclusive the placebo and vaccinated groups so "varies from person to person" should here be captured especially that the period we are talking about is a few months only. Ultimately, the question is not about whether it is better to be vaccinated or not as the answer at the level of individual protection is rather obvious, but why there is such high fraction of vaccinated people being infected. This is an important question because it affects directly what everybody is hoping for - the herd immunity.

ProvenPracticalFlexible
Chatter
Chatter
Answers: 1

Post by ProvenPracticalFlexible » Thu, 03 Jun 2021 10:22 am

x9200 wrote:
Thu, 03 Jun 2021 7:26 am
What worries me more and more are the fully vaccinated cases.
https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/si ... s-14934222
The four cases added to Wednesday's case count were all fully vaccinated against COVID-19.

They include a 30-year-old Philippine national who is a nursing aide at the home. She developed a runny nose, cough and sore throat on May 29 but did not seek medical attention. She was placed on quarantine on Jun 1 and tested positive on the same day.

The other three cases - Singaporean women aged 47, 55 and 64 - are residents at MINDSville@Napiri. All experienced symptoms of COVID-19.
What is the fraction of fully vaccinated among all the recent cases? Looks pretty high to me base on newspaper reports. Are the Phase 3 trials for Pfizer and Moderna with the 95% claimed efficacy based on Covid-19 symptomatic protection?
Doesn't sound very high or different from the reported 88% protection against the Indian variant for Pfizer, can't recall now if it was the same for Moderna. So a few cases among fully vaccinated is still to be expected but if 9 of 10 don't get it, that's a big improvement for example among hospital staff, just because of the vaccination.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Thu, 03 Jun 2021 11:02 am

I hope you are right. Trying to understand the situation based on newspapers is always tricky.

BBCDoc
Chatter
Chatter

Post by BBCDoc » Thu, 03 Jun 2021 12:15 pm

I keep posting the message - the vaccine aims to reduce serious disease and to reduce transmission. It never guarantees zero infection.

Aim is to reduce people getting so sick and going into ICU.

Don’t worry about getting infected, worry more about getting sick. Same mindset as ‘flu vaccine.

ProvenPracticalFlexible
Chatter
Chatter
Answers: 1

Post by ProvenPracticalFlexible » Thu, 03 Jun 2021 12:31 pm

BBCDoc wrote:
Thu, 03 Jun 2021 12:15 pm
I keep posting the message - the vaccine aims to reduce serious disease and to reduce transmission. It never guarantees zero infection.

Aim is to reduce people getting so sick and going into ICU.

Don’t worry about getting infected, worry more about getting sick. Same mindset as ‘flu vaccine.

Yes, I agree.

The problem is that many people like clear answers with 100% certainty promised to them (not just for this case, how many time in IT world have I've been asked to help to guarantee 100% availability). On top of this there's random and paid trolls spreading all kinds of confusing messages from denial to conspiracy and homeopathy protecting from covid stuff because they like to believe it or just for joke or because they are paid to do so. Unfortunately, also some head of states or other influential people have joined providing this certainty statements when things are not certain, but rely on balanced approach based on risk assessment.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 03 Jun 2021 1:17 pm

abbby wrote:
Thu, 03 Jun 2021 9:41 am
MOCHS wrote:
Thu, 03 Jun 2021 7:51 am

Yes i believe probably the vaccinated might still get it, but milder. Just like chicken pox, even if you are vaccinated you still get it, but milder and recovers faster.
Spot on, Abbby.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Thu, 03 Jun 2021 2:51 pm

Some of these tests are pretty poor for positive results. PCR tests show positive if put in pickle juice.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

BBCDoc
Chatter
Chatter

Post by BBCDoc » Thu, 03 Jun 2021 3:17 pm

PNGMK wrote:Some of these tests are pretty poor for positive results. PCR tests show positive if put in pickle juice.
There are good ones, and then there are real dogshit tests. Unfortunately, due to the length of the pandemic and impact on the healthcare budget, many systems now purchase cheap tests that really compromise the intent to conduct highly sensitive surveillance and tracing programs.

The result may be that missed infections go back into the community with a false sense of security and go on to start more clusters.

We had an issue in Bangladesh earlier this year where our business partner go in trouble for our test giving more positive results than another brand for travellers coming back from the UK. MOH got involved and blocked our test from use. 3 weeks later Bangladesh went into lockdown.

False positives results are annoying, but they won’t screw the population in this pandemic like a false negative result…

Another major manipulative issue are countries reporting the number of positives going down. However, they don’t report how many PCR tests actually have been done so people can see if the numbers are being fudged by doing less work…

x9200

Post by x9200 » Thu, 03 Jun 2021 6:30 pm

There is a subtle difference between expectation of zero infection and reading practically every day about what appears to be a significant fraction of infected population being earlier fully vaccinated. Do you have any data showing the infection rate among the fully vaccinated? Unfortunately I could not find any. This would cut the speculations.