Singapore Expats

How to lose weight?

Discuss about beauty & health. Need some advice or looking for a particular product? Share your beauty and health tips here.
sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: How to lose weight?

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 23 Apr 2023 5:32 pm

I've got a 60+ page cookbook that has been designed by creative cooks dieting with the program. Some are not bad.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

NYY1
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Post by NYY1 » Sun, 23 Apr 2023 6:01 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Sun, 23 Apr 2023 1:31 am
My entire diet was done from the fresh foods section of NTUC. No pills, liquids, enemas, or body wraps or strange concoctions of doG knows what. In fact, and extremely healthy diet that I still use for breakfast and dinner every day now 15 years later. However, I've started snacking (heaven forbid) thanks to retirement 3.5 years ago and 3 year of that under house arrest (Covid). but I'm only 8 kg over my ideal weight and still a far cry from the 94 kg I weighed when I started. You don't need catered meals. That is nothing but a rip-off. I don't eat anything that comes out of a sealed bag, box bottle or can (except for Tuna in Brine - allowed) everything else is fresh foods.
Many congrats. It takes a lot of discipline to eat healthy and exercise. I've noticed that cooking at home with fresh foods and portion control is all that's needed. During COVID, we cooked at home 7 days a week and the adults lost weight. Not doing too bad now, but with busier schedules, lunch at work, etc, we just don't eat as healthy.

I've never weighed things to the gram like you but I kind of know how much is needed per person. I also don't shy away from fatty meats (steamed/braised pork ribs, ribeye steak, chicken thigh with skin, etc) but really try to avoid processed meats. Even when eat outside of the home or bring back hawker food, I know the oil and salt content is probably not very good but if the food was all fresh/raw ingredients I don't feel it is too bad. I always cringe at the Western chain restaurants (not even talking fast food) and packaged food; it can't be healthy (to be clear, some "Asian" restaurants are no better if the food is processed/packaged). I guess with age I may need to watch the fat and salt content closer in the future.

For snacks, I try to keep the house stocked up with a variety of fruits. Sometimes it costs a bit more but I feel it is preferrable to other snacks.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Post by Lisafuller » Sun, 23 Apr 2023 11:49 pm

Sun, 23 Apr 2023 5:29 pm
Diet sprite as oil?? I could see how the bubbles might make whatever you're cooking not stick to the pan, but once it's heated wouldn't it go flat?
Actually the recommended way was with a good non-stick frying pan. Then nothing technically needed. The diet sprite or zero just added some fluid but if you keep the pan moving it won't stick anyway.
Hmm, if all you're looking for is liquid, wouldn't water be preferable?

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Sun, 23 Apr 2023 11:51 pm

Sun, 23 Apr 2023 5:32 pm
I've got a 60+ page cookbook that has been designed by creative cooks dieting with the program. Some are not bad.
Back in the day, I used to have an entire bookshelf dedicated to cookbooks, but as time passed, I had less and less free time to spend on cooking, and after the birth of my daughter that task was passed on to the helper almost entirely. What's nice was I managed to finally find some time to cook during Covid, I had a great time using YouTube recipes.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Sun, 23 Apr 2023 11:53 pm

NYY1 wrote:
Sun, 23 Apr 2023 6:01 pm
My entire diet was done from the fresh foods section of NTUC. No pills, liquids, enemas, or body wraps or strange concoctions of doG knows what. In fact, and extremely healthy diet that I still use for breakfast and dinner every day now 15 years later. However, I've started snacking (heaven forbid) thanks to retirement 3.5 years ago and 3 year of that under house arrest (Covid). but I'm only 8 kg over my ideal weight and still a far cry from the 94 kg I weighed when I started. You don't need catered meals. That is nothing but a rip-off. I don't eat anything that comes out of a sealed bag, box bottle or can (except for Tuna in Brine - allowed) everything else is fresh foods.
Many congrats. It takes a lot of discipline to eat healthy and exercise. I've noticed that cooking at home with fresh foods and portion control is all that's needed. During COVID, we cooked at home 7 days a week and the adults lost weight. Not doing too bad now, but with busier schedules, lunch at work, etc, we just don't eat as healthy.

I've never weighed things to the gram like you but I kind of know how much is needed per person. I also don't shy away from fatty meats (steamed/braised pork ribs, ribeye steak, chicken thigh with skin, etc) but really try to avoid processed meats. Even when eat outside of the home or bring back hawker food, I know the oil and salt content is probably not very good but if the food was all fresh/raw ingredients I don't feel it is too bad. I always cringe at the Western chain restaurants (not even talking fast food) and packaged food; it can't be healthy (to be clear, some "Asian" restaurants are no better if the food is processed/packaged). I guess with age I may need to watch the fat and salt content closer in the future.

For snacks, I try to keep the house stocked up with a variety of fruits. Sometimes it costs a bit more but I feel it is preferrable to other snacks.
Agree with having fruit snacks, I have a huge sweet tooth and some thing I've been loving is mixing fresh berries with plain Greek yogurt and then freezing them in mounds. You can dip them in chocolate once they've set or have them as is.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 24 Apr 2023 12:56 am

NYY1 wrote:

For the record, due to a long history of gout and knee problems I don't do a whole lot of walking or exercising and when we started on this program, we were advised if we were on an exercise regime, to cut way back and if were were not on any exercise program don't try to start while on the program as there isn't enough caloric intake to support it. It's the ideal couch potato's weight loss program.

That is the good part of the program, the bad part is the fact that the weight loss is so effective that it tends to cannibalize muscle mass as well, so after the refeed portion at the end of the diet to stop the weight loss at the ideal weight you will need to add sufficient carbs to fuel an exercise program to build the muscle mass back up. Fortunately the program, if followed correctly (and it must or else it will not work) makes quick work of the weight loss. However, if not followed correctly or finished correctly it will probably cause you to not only gain it all back but additional as well. I know two Australian woman and have actually met one of them who were on the program for a year each an they lost a whole person each. both of them lost a whopping 80 & 88 Kg, others have lost even more. It does work but you rarely see it advertised as it is word of mouth that sells it. The only naysayers you will ever read about were those who didn't follow the program thereby negating any benefits as the balances obtained were constantly being screwed up. The program reprograms the serotonin levels in the brain. It the serotonin that controls the cravings. once that it sorted you don't get hungry even though one is not taking in enough calories to maintain (therefore weight loss with out hunger suffering).I also spent 10 years as a moderator on a diet board set up in Aus by the woman who lost 88 kg. That board was for people on the Cohens program only. I stayed on that board for the same reason I'm on this board. Helping others. But admonishing where necessary when the same people cheat over and over and then come on the board for sympathy. Doesn't work that way.
Here's a blow by blow as it was happening and the blowback on here for about 5 years if you haven't already seen it.
I am a new Man! \:D/
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

EverettHawthorne

Post by EverettHawthorne » Mon, 24 Apr 2023 8:04 am

Lisafuller wrote:
Sat, 22 Apr 2023 11:24 pm
EverettHawthorne wrote:
Sat, 22 Apr 2023 9:54 pm
Fri, 04 Oct 2019 9:41 pm
When it comes to giving up rice, it's extremely difficult. I been here a long, long time and know lots who have tried and failed, some over and over. When I decided to do my diet 11 years ago, the clinic also confirmed the problem. The locals (which was the vast majority of their clientele) would deviate almost every week by eating rice which was not allowed as well as the other white starches. When it comes to eating, they haven't much, if any, will power.
The place I did mine had noodles and rice. The rice taste weird though. They gave me curry chicken with rice, korean ricecakes, beef slices noodles, etc. :shock: They did a hair analysis for me and gave me a set of supplements and feed me for 5 weeks and magic happens.
Which place did you work with? Perhaps they gave you cauliflower rice. Looks similar but taste pretty different.
They gave me cauliflower rice before but I didn't like the taste so they change it and gave me rice. The weirdest food they gave me is abalones which I didn't like it too. Let me find the photo and share it with u. It's been awhile already.

EverettHawthorne

Post by EverettHawthorne » Mon, 24 Apr 2023 8:15 am

Lisafuller wrote:
Sun, 23 Apr 2023 3:19 am
EverettHawthorne wrote:
Sat, 22 Apr 2023 9:34 pm

Hi Sunday, I can't get into cohenlifestyle.com.sg. Anyway, what u did sounds a lot like what reboott is doing. I lost 39 pounds in 5 weeks with them. Was 230 pounds, 6'7". Everything is good except the price is a bit on the high side. :???: Did u get catered meals too?
What about milk :P

And yes, I agree that catered meals are a rip off. I once looked up Yolo foods after being recommended them by a colleague, and was shocked to see that each individual portion was over $20.
Yea, it cost me ard $20 a meal to have it delivered. The only thing good is they guarantee if I don't shed at least 10% of my body weight, I get a full refund. I was so desperate.

EverettHawthorne

Post by EverettHawthorne » Mon, 24 Apr 2023 8:43 am

Mon, 24 Apr 2023 12:56 am
NYY1 wrote:

For the record, due to a long history of gout and knee problems I don't do a whole lot of walking or exercising and when we started on this program, we were advised if we were on an exercise regime, to cut way back and if were were not on any exercise program don't try to start while on the program as there isn't enough caloric intake to support it. It's the ideal couch potato's weight loss program.

That is the good part of the program, the bad part is the fact that the weight loss is so effective that it tends to cannibalize muscle mass as well, so after the refeed portion at the end of the diet to stop the weight loss at the ideal weight you will need to add sufficient carbs to fuel an exercise program to build the muscle mass back up. Fortunately the program, if followed correctly (and it must or else it will not work) makes quick work of the weight loss. However, if not followed correctly or finished correctly it will probably cause you to not only gain it all back but additional as well. I know two Australian woman and have actually met one of them who were on the program for a year each an they lost a whole person each. both of them lost a whopping 80 & 88 Kg, others have lost even more. It does work but you rarely see it advertised as it is word of mouth that sells it. The only naysayers you will ever read about were those who didn't follow the program thereby negating any benefits as the balances obtained were constantly being screwed up. The program reprograms the serotonin levels in the brain. It the serotonin that controls the cravings. once that it sorted you don't get hungry even though one is not taking in enough calories to maintain (therefore weight loss with out hunger suffering).I also spent 10 years as a moderator on a diet board set up in Aus by the woman who lost 88 kg. That board was for people on the Cohens program only. I stayed on that board for the same reason I'm on this board. Helping others. But admonishing where necessary when the same people cheat over and over and then come on the board for sympathy. Doesn't work that way.
Here's a blow by blow as it was happening and the blowback on here for about 5 years if you haven't already seen it.
I really think we did the almost same except for the catered food. Anyway the catered meals make the whole thing easier to follow i guess.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Wed, 26 Apr 2023 12:06 am

EverettHawthorne wrote:
Mon, 24 Apr 2023 8:15 am
Lisafuller wrote:
Sun, 23 Apr 2023 3:19 am

What about milk :P

And yes, I agree that catered meals are a rip off. I once looked up Yolo foods after being recommended them by a colleague, and was shocked to see that each individual portion was over $20.
Yea, it cost me ard $20 a meal to have it delivered. The only thing good is they guarantee if I don't shed at least 10% of my body weight, I get a full refund. I was so desperate.
And did you end up losing the weight?

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Wed, 26 Apr 2023 12:08 am

NYY1 wrote:

What a great read, SMS. How does this work? Is there a physical doctors office that you go to where they formulate the program? What are the costs like?

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Wed, 26 Apr 2023 12:09 am

EverettHawthorne wrote:
Mon, 24 Apr 2023 8:04 am
Lisafuller wrote:
Sat, 22 Apr 2023 11:24 pm
EverettHawthorne wrote:
Sat, 22 Apr 2023 9:54 pm

The place I did mine had noodles and rice. The rice taste weird though. They gave me curry chicken with rice, korean ricecakes, beef slices noodles, etc. :shock: They did a hair analysis for me and gave me a set of supplements and feed me for 5 weeks and magic happens.
Which place did you work with? Perhaps they gave you cauliflower rice. Looks similar but taste pretty different.
They gave me cauliflower rice before but I didn't like the taste so they change it and gave me rice. The weirdest food they gave me is abalones which I didn't like it too. Let me find the photo and share it with u. It's been awhile already.
I don't like cauliflower rice either, very odd taste and texture. Though it looks so similar visually.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Wed, 26 Apr 2023 12:10 am

EverettHawthorne wrote:
Mon, 24 Apr 2023 8:43 am
NYY1 wrote:

I really think we did the almost same except for the catered food. Anyway the catered meals make the whole thing easier to follow i guess.
Perhaps yours is a more modern adaptation for busy folks! If it wasn't so expensive, I might go for it

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 26 Apr 2023 1:57 am

Lisafuller wrote:
Wed, 26 Apr 2023 12:08 am

What a great read, SMS. How does this work? Is there a physical doctors office that you go to where they formulate the program? What are the costs like?
In theory, in 35 years or so of this program nobody can confirm anything about the good doctor, but the success of the program. Whether Dr. Cohen exists or not nobody seems to know or isn't talking. The Sites claim the following...Dr. Rami Cohen is a cardiologist who was originally from Johannesburg, S.A. After getting his degree, eventually he was concerned with women's fertility and went to work at a fertility clinic and doing research on how to increase fertility in overweight women. In the course of his studies, he created a diet that they used to treat overweight women at the clinic and it was so successful that he started getting requests from husbands of wives there and he expanded his studies to include men as well. Eventually Dr. Cohen immigrated to the US and continued the research and started Cohen's Lifestyle clinic. The weight loss program was never called a diet, per se, and it still isn't. It is the medicine to reprogram your body and chemical balances that cause cravings and how to eat healthy. It's the lead-in to eating a healthy diet without the weight loss but it is a lifestyle change but doesn't mean you cannot enjoy life but you have to learn how to eat and the recover from the over-indulgence. Obviously if you overindulge 2, 3 or 4 days in a row, you stand a good chance of upsetting the balances and then you will get the craving and start binging all over again. That is why it's not a diet but a prescription to get the body's function back to optimal condition. Sorry. I get carried away as most of us do that have done the program as it was intended and have enjoyed the benefits it brings, whether or not the good doctor actually exists or not.

Up to the time I finished the course, he keeps the data in his own possession. Before you are allowed to take the program you have to submit a valid medical history as well as a full blood workup and those results are sent from local blood lab directly to the doctor. If you have a condition that cannot be sorted and will be detrimental to the success of the program you will be actually be denied. Otherwise, you will be sent a program and a meeting with one of their assistants here where all will be explained/answered. You used to be required to take a monthly blood test during the course of the program but it's been 15 years since I finished the program (I still have it but of course it will no longer be as effective as my age, and chemical makeup has changed so the actual plan would have to be recalibrated). Each blood test is sent to the US and any recalibration, if necessary will be amended into the program.

I don't know what the course costs today but it was S$1,100 15 years ago, but that also included all the blood tests as well. Back then it all had to be paid up front and all you got was a Ibico bound booklet that contained your whole programme. All you needed to get was the food and the scales with which to weigh the food in grams. You don't count calories or even see calories mentioned as they have already done all that as well as giving you lists of the foods and the quantities you can eat. Again, even that is different for each dieter based on their own medical history and other factors. Also they determine what your ideal weight should be based on a number of factor like height, weight, age, gender and shoe size.

Yeah I know, what the hell do they need shoe size for. Think about it. those 14 small bones have to hold up a lot a weight so the area that that foot encompasses need to be able to comfortably support x amount of weight. A lot goes into it.

As for being a working stiff and have to do for lunch, I always ate a salad for lunch (usually a whole can of Tuna in brine/water and normal salad items but I'd usually use balsamic vinegar as my dressing. I took it to work and even went to a wedding or two and took my meal with me. Embarrassed? not at all, the visuals everybody saw was enough to quell any dismay and I actually cleared it with the bride & groom before hand. If you want something bad enough, you can do it. Remember, @ 60 when I started the diet I was pretty much set in my ways. but I did it.

When I was moderating the weight loss forum in Aus I coined a saying that stuck with me throughout the programm. It was in my signature block.

Nothing Tastes as good as Thin feels!

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Wed, 26 Apr 2023 2:39 am

Wed, 26 Apr 2023 1:57 am
Lisafuller wrote:
Wed, 26 Apr 2023 12:08 am

In theory, in 35 years or so of this program nobody can confirm anything about the good doctor, but the success of the program. Whether Dr. Cohen exists or not nobody seems to know or isn't talking. The Sites claim the following...Dr. Rami Cohen is a cardiologist who was originally from Johannesburg, S.A. After getting his degree, eventually he was concerned with women's fertility and went to work at a fertility clinic and doing research on how to increase fertility in overweight women. In the course of his studies, he created a diet that they used to treat overweight women at the clinic and it was so successful that he started getting requests from husbands of wives there and he expanded his studies to include men as well. Eventually Dr. Cohen immigrated to the US and continued the research and started Cohen's Lifestyle clinic. The weight loss program was never called a diet, per se, and it still isn't. It is the medicine to reprogram your body and chemical balances that cause cravings and how to eat healthy. It's the lead-in to eating a healthy diet without the weight loss but it is a lifestyle change but doesn't mean you cannot enjoy life but you have to learn how to eat and the recover from the over-indulgence. Obviously if you overindulge 2, 3 or 4 days in a row, you stand a good chance of upsetting the balances and then you will get the craving and start binging all over again. That is why it's not a diet but a prescription to get the body's function back to optimal condition. Sorry. I get carried away as most of us do that have done the program as it was intended and have enjoyed the benefits it brings, whether or not the good doctor actually exists or not.

Up to the time I finished the course, he keeps the data in his own possession. Before you are allowed to take the program you have to submit a valid medical history as well as a full blood workup and those results are sent from local blood lab directly to the doctor. If you have a condition that cannot be sorted and will be detrimental to the success of the program you will be actually be denied. Otherwise, you will be sent a program and a meeting with one of their assistants here where all will be explained/answered. You used to be required to take a monthly blood test during the course of the program but it's been 15 years since I finished the program (I still have it but of course it will no longer be as effective as my age, and chemical makeup has changed so the actual plan would have to be recalibrated). Each blood test is sent to the US and any recalibration, if necessary will be amended into the program.

I don't know what the course costs today but it was S$1,100 15 years ago, but that also included all the blood tests as well. Back then it all had to be paid up front and all you got was a Ibico bound booklet that contained your whole programme. All you needed to get was the food and the scales with which to weigh the food in grams. You don't count calories or even see calories mentioned as they have already done all that as well as giving you lists of the foods and the quantities you can eat. Again, even that is different for each dieter based on their own medical history and other factors. Also they determine what your ideal weight should be based on a number of factor like height, weight, age, gender and shoe size.

Yeah I know, what the hell do they need shoe size for. Think about it. those 14 small bones have to hold up a lot a weight so the area that that foot encompasses need to be able to comfortably support x amount of weight. A lot goes into it.

As for being a working stiff and have to do for lunch, I always ate a salad for lunch (usually a whole can of Tuna in brine/water and normal salad items but I'd usually use balsamic vinegar as my dressing. I took it to work and even went to a wedding or two and took my meal with me. Embarrassed? not at all, the visuals everybody saw was enough to quell any dismay and I actually cleared it with the bride & groom before hand. If you want something bad enough, you can do it. Remember, @ 60 when I started the diet I was pretty much set in my ways. but I did it.

When I was moderating the weight loss forum in Aus I coined a saying that stuck with me throughout the programm. It was in my signature block.

Nothing Tastes as good as Thin feels!
Just googled, there used to be a cohen lifestyle center in GoldHill Plaza, but it says it since permanently closed. Is there any other way to access the program?