Singapore Expats

recommended optician

Discuss about beauty & health. Need some advice or looking for a particular product? Share your beauty and health tips here.
cmk77ph

recommended optician

Post by cmk77ph » Tue, 02 Aug 2016 7:17 pm

hi
can anyone recommend an experienced optician

need help with adjusting my eyeglasses
it's a bit of a problem for me everytime i get new glasses and optical shop that i got it from is not able to help efficiently
my face structure is not symmetric and my nose bone also has some irregularity so it's a bit of a challenge for me

has anyone tried IGARD? just saw it in search im not sure if they are like a clinic or optical shop or both; saw some recommendations; i called and said they do eyeglass adjustments so i may try

thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: recommended optician

Post by ecureilx » Tue, 02 Aug 2016 7:18 pm

cmk77ph wrote:hi
can anyone recommend an experienced optician

need help with adjusting my eyeglasses
it's a bit of a problem for me everytime i get new glasses and optical shop that i got it from is not able to help efficiently
my face structure is not symmetric and my nose bone also has some irregularity so it's a bit of a challenge for me

has anyone tried IGARD? just saw it in search im not sure if they are like a clinic or optical shop or both; saw some recommendations; i called and said they do eyeglass adjustments so i may try

thanks

Walk into any of the many opticians! They can help you ...

cmk77ph

Re: recommended optician

Post by cmk77ph » Tue, 02 Aug 2016 7:24 pm

any specific optician recommendation from shop? ive just got my new specs, they are not able to adjust it properly

i knew one uncle optician previously from one shop who had 40 or so years of experience but he resigned already.. he was quite knowledgable with eyeglass adjustments and very patient

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: recommended optician

Post by ecureilx » Tue, 02 Aug 2016 7:40 pm

cmk77ph wrote:any specific optician recommendation from shop? ive just got my new specs, they are not able to adjust it properly

i knew one uncle optician previously from one shop who had 40 or so years of experience but he resigned already.. he was quite knowledgable with eyeglass adjustments and very patient

Capital Opticians

Unless you want brand / label, or your glasses are made to NASA standards, any neighbourhood optician will do.

cmk77ph

Post by cmk77ph » Tue, 02 Aug 2016 7:51 pm

i dont know what u pertain to by mentioning nasa standards
ive already explained my issue which is why i posted this in the first place
anyway; anyway i wanted to get opinion from those who may have ahd same problem and encountered a good optician
but thanks anyway for suggestion will check it out

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Tue, 02 Aug 2016 8:26 pm

cmk77ph wrote:i dont know what u pertain to by mentioning nasa standards
ive already explained my issue which is why i posted this in the first place
anyway; anyway i wanted to get opinion from those who may have ahd same problem and encountered a good optician
but thanks anyway for suggestion will check it out

Oh

I meant unless it's some super special glasses I see no reason to not visit the neighbourhood opticians, who are good and don't charge an arm and a length.

Unless you are promoting this iguard place, which is against forum rules...

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Tue, 02 Aug 2016 9:53 pm

My suggestion for an optician's shop is Foresight in the Toa Payoh hub [just about opposite Burger King].
I bought decent looking but unbranded reading specs for about $100. That included an eye-test, lens cutting, adjustment, and re-testing the final result.
I've also had them later do a tune-up, readjust the arms, nose-arms, and so on which had been slightly mis-shapen over time. That was done without charge.
Another time a lens popped out and was lost. They were able to replace that one lens and send it to me abroad. They also sent some spare micro-screws and a mini-screwdriver, so I fitted the lens back in myself.
I always felt like I was getting a good and honest deal with them. Two thumbs up.
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard

cmk77ph

Post by cmk77ph » Tue, 02 Aug 2016 11:02 pm

JR8 wrote:My suggestion for an optician's shop is Foresight in the Toa Payoh hub [just about opposite Burger King].

sounds good
thanks jr8

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 03 Aug 2016 12:00 am

JR8 wrote:My suggestion for an optician's shop is Foresight in the Toa Payoh hub [just about opposite Burger King].
I bought decent looking but unbranded reading specs for about $100. That included an eye-test, lens cutting, adjustment, and re-testing the final result.
I've also had them later do a tune-up, readjust the arms, nose-arms, and so on which had been slightly mis-shapen over time. That was done without charge.
Another time a lens popped out and was lost. They were able to replace that one lens and send it to me abroad. They also sent some spare micro-screws and a mini-screwdriver, so I fitted the lens back in myself.
I always felt like I was getting a good and honest deal with them. Two thumbs up.
You just described a neighborhood optician, found in every township.

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Fri, 05 Aug 2016 5:09 pm

paris miki at liang court.

never had problems with their service. i once called to ask if my wife could have the lens on her 3-month glasses replaced if re-testing showed her eye sight was different from her prescription...

the japanese manager replied quickly that it was not problem.

they would adjust glasses to your satisfaction... BEFORE a sale.

i've also encountered this at zoft at suntec. they are cheaper, but also a japanese brand.
Aut viam ad caelum inveniam aut faciam

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Fri, 05 Aug 2016 5:21 pm

taxico wrote:paris miki at liang court.

never had problems with their service. i once called to ask if my wife could have the lens on her 3-month glasses replaced if re-testing showed her eye sight was different from her prescription...
I thought Paris Miki was more expensive.

I had a good one at Own Days and second spare went bad - the assistant insisted the glass was ok. I remembered she didn't check the nose bridge focal distance ... I had problem adjusting to the glass.

Got a replacement from elsewhere - no more own days!

cmk77ph

Post by cmk77ph » Sat, 06 Aug 2016 2:08 am

taxico wrote:paris miki at liang court.

the japanese manager replied quickly that it was not problem.

they would adjust glasses to your satisfaction... BEFORE a sale.

i've also encountered this at zoft at suntec. they are cheaper, but also a japanese brand.
thanks
yup i remember having made a specs or two before at paris miki, service and expertise was quite good (not all personnel, but most of the ones i've dealt with)

but the recent glasses i made were not from them so i didnt go there this time

cmk77ph

Post by cmk77ph » Sat, 06 Aug 2016 2:49 am

i did some search for specific recommended optican personnel but cldnt find any
so finally i went back to the optical shop i bought my new glasses from.. but what i did was called one of their branch to recommend an experienced optician due to my nose irregularity and my eyes being sensitive to wrong positioning of frame.. the girl did recommend two 'older' staff opticians
one of which was from the branch i got the specs from (he was not there the day i got my specs); i visited and fortunately he was quite skilled indeed and managed to adjust it to very comfortable adjustments.. i hope it stays that way

i suggest getting recommendation first from shop if they have really skilled optician esp if you have sensitive eyes or have bit of a higher eye grade RX or have some bone iregularities that need skilled adjustment of specs

for me i find it more comfortable dealing with uncle opticians who have lots of years of experience..
altho of course it's not a rule,
i remember having been to paris miki few years ago and there was this young lady handling contact lenses queries, i remember she wasnt even a permament staff there and i was asking for contact lens suggestions and finally mentioned i was having problem with the new glasses i was wearing then, which i thought was too short and having pain with the tiny nose pads that it had.. she asked if she can try to adjust it for me. she tweaked it and said she tried her best to do some adjustments and when i tried it on i was just like omg how did u do that ?? it was a very good experience