Cut carbohydrates 100% to lose weight?

Discuss about beauty & health. Need some advice or looking for a particular product? Share your beauty and health tips here.
Post Reply
smoulder
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 657
Joined: Fri, 25 Dec 2015 11:05 pm

Re: Cut carbohydrates 100% to lose weight?

Post by smoulder » Wed, 05 Jan 2022 4:53 pm

midlet2013 wrote:
Wed, 05 Jan 2022 2:50 pm
smoulder wrote:
Wed, 05 Jan 2022 11:21 am
Here we go again. I suggest you read more about this.

We are essentially saying similar things. Which is that cutting carbs is a good way to lose weight. I think we can both agree to that.

Here's where we differ. You think that you can consume infinite amounts of only meat and still lose weight because insulin response bruh. Try this. Try consuming only meat - as much as a tiger eats in a day. Quick google search tells me that is at least 9 kgs. Then tell me that lack of insulin is going to just miraculously make that meat disappear and you will lose weight.
Why would u interpret it as Infinite. If ur requirement is 1800 cal, then even if eat 1900 with fat/protein, its not bad. However, if u eat 1800 cal and 1200 is from carbs, it won't be good.

The key point here is no Calorie Deficit. If u eat what u need based on Fat/Protein and Intermittent Fasting , u will lose weight.
Again. Please do read up more on this instead of speaking half truths. You are only correct on the fact that high protein and low carb diets work but you are clearly ill informed on exactly how.

You simply cannot be consuming more calories than you burn on a ketogenic diet and expect to lose weight. If you do, then you are really awesome and scientists need to study you - I'm sure they will uncover something that has truly profound implications.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 38948
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 1:26 pm
Answers: 4
Location: Retired on the Little Red Dot

Re: Cut carbohydrates 100% to lose weight?

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 05 Jan 2022 11:32 pm

So far, it's been 14 years since I did my weight loss program. I lost 25 kg in 22.5 weeks. I went from a 1.65m frame carrying 94 kg Obese bordering on morbid obeseity to 69 kg which was my military discharge weight 6 weeks shy of 21 years of age. I also lost 10" of waistline in the process, and got rid of my HBP, Uric Acid level back to normal and off of statins for cholesterol. First time in a decade at that point. I was 60 years old when I went on the diet. I stayed at 72~74 kg for the next 8 years which was considered my fighting weight. I've subsequently put on about half of it back since I retired 2.5 years ago thanks to Covid. I am back to cutting out the garbage that has crept into my diet between meals. My meals have never changed since my diet, but the quantities changed a wee bit but the content didn't. 2 month ago, I more or less cut out the garbage between meals but because my main meals never really changed I've dropped about 7 kg. without really trying. *I'm 74 years old if you are interested. I eat no carbs in my three main meals. Veg omelet for breakfast, salad with tuna or chicken for lunch and steak or Toman alternate days for dinner with Prawns on Saturdays. If my kids come over and order a Pizza or Popeyes no biggie. I eat it. My diet works and works damn well. and it is doing without carbs but NOT going into KETO and not high protien or high fats. That is not good for your system. Oh, the doctor who designed this diet 35 years ago, still retains all the data and each diet is constructed only after you have a fully medical history listed and he still retains the right to not give it to you. There are no pills, no special equipment or wraps and no special prepared meals. You are limited to certain vegs, fruits and protien sources an you have to give up sugar in all forms but it work and works well. All of my food came from the fresh food shelves of NTUC. Oh, you also have to have blood work up before and twice during the program. Another thing, The Doctor is a Cardiologist, not a PHD. A graduate of Wits University in S. Africa. Cohen's Lifestyle Clinic.

For anybody who missed this event here is my link.......I talk the talk because I have walked the walk and won.

I am a new Man! \:D/
Life isn't about avoiding the bruises. It's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it!

midlet2013
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 307
Joined: Wed, 13 Nov 2013 10:56 am

Re: Cut carbohydrates 100% to lose weight?

Post by midlet2013 » Thu, 06 Jan 2022 4:18 am

smoulder wrote:
Wed, 05 Jan 2022 4:53 pm
midlet2013 wrote:
Wed, 05 Jan 2022 2:50 pm
smoulder wrote:
Wed, 05 Jan 2022 11:21 am
Here we go again. I suggest you read more about this.

We are essentially saying similar things. Which is that cutting carbs is a good way to lose weight. I think we can both agree to that.

Here's where we differ. You think that you can consume infinite amounts of only meat and still lose weight because insulin response bruh. Try this. Try consuming only meat - as much as a tiger eats in a day. Quick google search tells me that is at least 9 kgs. Then tell me that lack of insulin is going to just miraculously make that meat disappear and you will lose weight.
Why would u interpret it as Infinite. If ur requirement is 1800 cal, then even if eat 1900 with fat/protein, its not bad. However, if u eat 1800 cal and 1200 is from carbs, it won't be good.

The key point here is no Calorie Deficit. If u eat what u need based on Fat/Protein and Intermittent Fasting , u will lose weight.
Again. Please do read up more on this instead of speaking half truths. You are only correct on the fact that high protein and low carb diets work but you are clearly ill informed on exactly how.

You simply cannot be consuming more calories than you burn on a ketogenic diet and expect to lose weight. If you do, then you are really awesome and scientists need to study you - I'm sure they will uncover something that has truly profound implications.

Why would anyone overeat. All one needs to do is to feel full. No need to go hungry or create calorie deficit. I cant understand why u interpret this as overeating. Anyone who eats more than enough is already hurting themselves .

Ur not a logical person.

midlet2013
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 307
Joined: Wed, 13 Nov 2013 10:56 am

Re: Cut carbohydrates 100% to lose weight?

Post by midlet2013 » Thu, 06 Jan 2022 4:20 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Wed, 05 Jan 2022 11:32 pm
So far, it's been 14 years since I did my weight loss program. I lost 25 kg in 22.5 weeks. I went from a 1.65m frame carrying 94 kg Obese bordering on morbid obeseity to 69 kg which was my military discharge weight 6 weeks shy of 21 years of age. I also lost 10" of waistline in the process, and got rid of my HBP, Uric Acid level back to normal and off of statins for cholesterol. First time in a decade at that point. I was 60 years old when I went on the diet. I stayed at 72~74 kg for the next 8 years which was considered my fighting weight. I've subsequently put on about half of it back since I retired 2.5 years ago thanks to Covid. I am back to cutting out the garbage that has crept into my diet between meals. My meals have never changed since my diet, but the quantities changed a wee bit but the content didn't. 2 month ago, I more or less cut out the garbage between meals but because my main meals never really changed I've dropped about 7 kg. without really trying. *I'm 74 years old if you are interested. I eat no carbs in my three main meals. Veg omelet for breakfast, salad with tuna or chicken for lunch and steak or Toman alternate days for dinner with Prawns on Saturdays. If my kids come over and order a Pizza or Popeyes no biggie. I eat it. My diet works and works damn well. and it is doing without carbs but NOT going into KETO and not high protien or high fats. That is not good for your system. Oh, the doctor who designed this diet 35 years ago, still retains all the data and each diet is constructed only after you have a fully medical history listed and he still retains the right to not give it to you. There are no pills, no special equipment or wraps and no special prepared meals. You are limited to certain vegs, fruits and protien sources an you have to give up sugar in all forms but it work and works well. All of my food came from the fresh food shelves of NTUC. Oh, you also have to have blood work up before and twice during the program. Another thing, The Doctor is a Cardiologist, not a PHD. A graduate of Wits University in S. Africa. Cohen's Lifestyle Clinic.

For anybody who missed this event here is my link.......I talk the talk because I have walked the walk and won.

I am a new Man! \:D/
I think no carbs is perfect. Ya there is no reason to go keto level fat/protein if it already works. but if u ate carbs, u will be in trouble.

I am sure when u had statins, HBP, etc, it was mostly due to carb, sugar, junk food.

smoulder
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 657
Joined: Fri, 25 Dec 2015 11:05 pm

Re: Cut carbohydrates 100% to lose weight?

Post by smoulder » Thu, 06 Jan 2022 9:24 am

midlet2013 wrote:
Thu, 06 Jan 2022 4:18 am
smoulder wrote:
Wed, 05 Jan 2022 4:53 pm
midlet2013 wrote:
Wed, 05 Jan 2022 2:50 pm


Why would u interpret it as Infinite. If ur requirement is 1800 cal, then even if eat 1900 with fat/protein, its not bad. However, if u eat 1800 cal and 1200 is from carbs, it won't be good.

The key point here is no Calorie Deficit. If u eat what u need based on Fat/Protein and Intermittent Fasting , u will lose weight.
Again. Please do read up more on this instead of speaking half truths. You are only correct on the fact that high protein and low carb diets work but you are clearly ill informed on exactly how.

You simply cannot be consuming more calories than you burn on a ketogenic diet and expect to lose weight. If you do, then you are really awesome and scientists need to study you - I'm sure they will uncover something that has truly profound implications.


Ur not a logical person.
Let's talk about your logic first.

You ended up overweight. What caused that? Overeating. Aka too many calories. You can try to pull out as much keto cult "science" as you want to from your nether regions, but this is the simple fact. It's called the laws of physics. Hope you can answer your own question about why anyone would overeat.

Now you try to lose weight - again, pull out as much keto cult "science" as you want to but you still cannot defy the laws of physics just by brandishing insulin around.

You clearly have very little idea of what you are talking about with limited knowledge and experience in the field.

I'm sure you will come back with another obnoxious rant like you seem to do.

smoulder
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 657
Joined: Fri, 25 Dec 2015 11:05 pm

Re: Cut carbohydrates 100% to lose weight?

Post by smoulder » Thu, 06 Jan 2022 10:20 am

If anyone is interested in it, this is a good read which discusses some of the science and puts things in an unbiased and logical manner.

https://bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/ ... -a-calorie

midlet2013
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 307
Joined: Wed, 13 Nov 2013 10:56 am

Re: Cut carbohydrates 100% to lose weight?

Post by midlet2013 » Thu, 06 Jan 2022 11:09 am

smoulder wrote:
Thu, 06 Jan 2022 9:24 am
midlet2013 wrote:
Thu, 06 Jan 2022 4:18 am
smoulder wrote:
Wed, 05 Jan 2022 4:53 pm

Again. Please do read up more on this instead of speaking half truths. You are only correct on the fact that high protein and low carb diets work but you are clearly ill informed on exactly how.

You simply cannot be consuming more calories than you burn on a ketogenic diet and expect to lose weight. If you do, then you are really awesome and scientists need to study you - I'm sure they will uncover something that has truly profound implications.


Ur not a logical person.
Let's talk about your logic first.

You ended up overweight. What caused that? Overeating. Aka too many calories. You can try to pull out as much keto cult "science" as you want to from your nether regions, but this is the simple fact. It's called the laws of physics. Hope you can answer your own question about why anyone would overeat.

Now you try to lose weight - again, pull out as much keto cult "science" as you want to but you still cannot defy the laws of physics just by brandishing insulin around.

You clearly have very little idea of what you are talking about with limited knowledge and experience in the field.

I'm sure you will come back with another obnoxious rant like you seem to do.
Overweight does not mean Overeating. Else people who are overweight are solely responsible for their situation. You are wrong and insensitive. Its a combination of hormones, metabolic and mostly lack of knowledge etc. Have u heard of Hypothyroidism ?

What it simply means is that u have Insulin Resistance, too much insulin in body which is nothing more than a Fat Storing hormone.

Even if eat the same amount of calories but target to keep Insulin low, u will be in better weight situation. Thats why carb cutting helps cuz it reduces insulin. Thats why fasting helps cuz it reduces Insulin.

Keto is not just for wt loss. Its healthy. However, for most people who love their carbs, its a sacrifice that they can do . So, it becomes a cult.

Lisafuller
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2029
Joined: Sat, 07 Nov 2020 11:45 pm
Answers: 2

Re: Cut carbohydrates 100% to lose weight?

Post by Lisafuller » Thu, 13 Jan 2022 2:52 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Wed, 05 Jan 2022 11:32 pm
So far, it's been 14 years since I did my weight loss program. I lost 25 kg in 22.5 weeks. I went from a 1.65m frame carrying 94 kg Obese bordering on morbid obeseity to 69 kg which was my military discharge weight 6 weeks shy of 21 years of age. I also lost 10" of waistline in the process, and got rid of my HBP, Uric Acid level back to normal and off of statins for cholesterol. First time in a decade at that point. I was 60 years old when I went on the diet. I stayed at 72~74 kg for the next 8 years which was considered my fighting weight. I've subsequently put on about half of it back since I retired 2.5 years ago thanks to Covid. I am back to cutting out the garbage that has crept into my diet between meals. My meals have never changed since my diet, but the quantities changed a wee bit but the content didn't. 2 month ago, I more or less cut out the garbage between meals but because my main meals never really changed I've dropped about 7 kg. without really trying. *I'm 74 years old if you are interested. I eat no carbs in my three main meals. Veg omelet for breakfast, salad with tuna or chicken for lunch and steak or Toman alternate days for dinner with Prawns on Saturdays. If my kids come over and order a Pizza or Popeyes no biggie. I eat it. My diet works and works damn well. and it is doing without carbs but NOT going into KETO and not high protien or high fats. That is not good for your system. Oh, the doctor who designed this diet 35 years ago, still retains all the data and each diet is constructed only after you have a fully medical history listed and he still retains the right to not give it to you. There are no pills, no special equipment or wraps and no special prepared meals. You are limited to certain vegs, fruits and protien sources an you have to give up sugar in all forms but it work and works well. All of my food came from the fresh food shelves of NTUC. Oh, you also have to have blood work up before and twice during the program. Another thing, The Doctor is a Cardiologist, not a PHD. A graduate of Wits University in S. Africa. Cohen's Lifestyle Clinic.

For anybody who missed this event here is my link.......I talk the talk because I have walked the walk and won.

I am a new Man! \:D/
SMS, if you gave up carbs entirely does that not constitute entering ketosis? Am I missing something here?

Lisafuller
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2029
Joined: Sat, 07 Nov 2020 11:45 pm
Answers: 2

Re: Cut carbohydrates 100% to lose weight?

Post by Lisafuller » Thu, 13 Jan 2022 2:54 am

smoulder wrote:
Thu, 06 Jan 2022 9:24 am
midlet2013 wrote:
Thu, 06 Jan 2022 4:18 am
smoulder wrote:
Wed, 05 Jan 2022 4:53 pm

Again. Please do read up more on this instead of speaking half truths. You are only correct on the fact that high protein and low carb diets work but you are clearly ill informed on exactly how.

You simply cannot be consuming more calories than you burn on a ketogenic diet and expect to lose weight. If you do, then you are really awesome and scientists need to study you - I'm sure they will uncover something that has truly profound implications.


Ur not a logical person.
Let's talk about your logic first.

You ended up overweight. What caused that? Overeating. Aka too many calories. You can try to pull out as much keto cult "science" as you want to from your nether regions, but this is the simple fact. It's called the laws of physics. Hope you can answer your own question about why anyone would overeat.

Now you try to lose weight - again, pull out as much keto cult "science" as you want to but you still cannot defy the laws of physics just by brandishing insulin around.

You clearly have very little idea of what you are talking about with limited knowledge and experience in the field.

I'm sure you will come back with another obnoxious rant like you seem to do.
Agree on every point except the first, although I tend to vehemently disagree with midlet he does make a fair point about medical conditions that tend to cause weight fluctuations/uncontrollable weight gain. Among others, hypothyroidism and PCOS tend to cause weight gain.

Lisafuller
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2029
Joined: Sat, 07 Nov 2020 11:45 pm
Answers: 2

Re: Cut carbohydrates 100% to lose weight?

Post by Lisafuller » Thu, 13 Jan 2022 2:57 am

midlet2013 wrote:
Thu, 06 Jan 2022 11:09 am
smoulder wrote:
Thu, 06 Jan 2022 9:24 am
midlet2013 wrote:
Thu, 06 Jan 2022 4:18 am


Ur not a logical person.
Let's talk about your logic first.

You ended up overweight. What caused that? Overeating. Aka too many calories. You can try to pull out as much keto cult "science" as you want to from your nether regions, but this is the simple fact. It's called the laws of physics. Hope you can answer your own question about why anyone would overeat.

Now you try to lose weight - again, pull out as much keto cult "science" as you want to but you still cannot defy the laws of physics just by brandishing insulin around.

You clearly have very little idea of what you are talking about with limited knowledge and experience in the field.

I'm sure you will come back with another obnoxious rant like you seem to do.
Overweight does not mean Overeating. Else people who are overweight are solely responsible for their situation. You are wrong and insensitive. Its a combination of hormones, metabolic and mostly lack of knowledge etc. Have u heard of Hypothyroidism ?

What it simply means is that u have Insulin Resistance, too much insulin in body which is nothing more than a Fat Storing hormone.

Even if eat the same amount of calories but target to keep Insulin low, u will be in better weight situation. Thats why carb cutting helps cuz it reduces insulin. Thats why fasting helps cuz it reduces Insulin.

Keto is not just for wt loss. Its healthy. However, for most people who love their carbs, its a sacrifice that they can do . So, it becomes a cult.
I will ignore the second half of your post, but the first half does have some merit. My mother suffered from hypothyroidism a couple years back, except for her it resulted in serious weight loss.

smoulder
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 657
Joined: Fri, 25 Dec 2015 11:05 pm

Re: Cut carbohydrates 100% to lose weight?

Post by smoulder » Thu, 13 Jan 2022 7:38 am

Lisafuller wrote:
Thu, 13 Jan 2022 2:54 am
smoulder wrote:
Thu, 06 Jan 2022 9:24 am
midlet2013 wrote:
Thu, 06 Jan 2022 4:18 am


Ur not a logical person.
Let's talk about your logic first.

You ended up overweight. What caused that? Overeating. Aka too many calories. You can try to pull out as much keto cult "science" as you want to from your nether regions, but this is the simple fact. It's called the laws of physics. Hope you can answer your own question about why anyone would overeat.

Now you try to lose weight - again, pull out as much keto cult "science" as you want to but you still cannot defy the laws of physics just by brandishing insulin around.

You clearly have very little idea of what you are talking about with limited knowledge and experience in the field.

I'm sure you will come back with another obnoxious rant like you seem to do.
Agree on every point except the first, although I tend to vehemently disagree with midlet he does make a fair point about medical conditions that tend to cause weight fluctuations/uncontrollable weight gain. Among others, hypothyroidism and PCOS tend to cause weight gain.
Medical conditions are not out of the ordinary in that they too lead to situations where your body cannot burn the calories consumed. There's still no way around this. Your body cannot be producing additional mass out of nothing. Likewise when you lose weight. However you manipulate the ratios of carbs, fats and protein, if you are consuming more calories than you burn, with or without medical conditions, you cannot be losing weight. It won't happen because your body cannot make the extra mass of food just disappear into nothingness.

Quite frankly speaking, if someone has a medical condition, instead of prescribing diets to them on an internet forum, I'd probably tell them to see a doctor first. Example - if you have issues with your thyroid, your doctor might want you to get on medication and get your hormones under control before you think about diets and exercise plans.

I think we need to take the emotions out of this.

Lisafuller
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2029
Joined: Sat, 07 Nov 2020 11:45 pm
Answers: 2

Re: Cut carbohydrates 100% to lose weight?

Post by Lisafuller » Sun, 16 Jan 2022 11:14 pm

smoulder wrote:
Thu, 13 Jan 2022 7:38 am
Lisafuller wrote:
Thu, 13 Jan 2022 2:54 am
smoulder wrote:
Thu, 06 Jan 2022 9:24 am


Let's talk about your logic first.

You ended up overweight. What caused that? Overeating. Aka too many calories. You can try to pull out as much keto cult "science" as you want to from your nether regions, but this is the simple fact. It's called the laws of physics. Hope you can answer your own question about why anyone would overeat.

Now you try to lose weight - again, pull out as much keto cult "science" as you want to but you still cannot defy the laws of physics just by brandishing insulin around.

You clearly have very little idea of what you are talking about with limited knowledge and experience in the field.

I'm sure you will come back with another obnoxious rant like you seem to do.
Agree on every point except the first, although I tend to vehemently disagree with midlet he does make a fair point about medical conditions that tend to cause weight fluctuations/uncontrollable weight gain. Among others, hypothyroidism and PCOS tend to cause weight gain.
Medical conditions are not out of the ordinary in that they too lead to situations where your body cannot burn the calories consumed. There's still no way around this. Your body cannot be producing additional mass out of nothing. Likewise when you lose weight. However you manipulate the ratios of carbs, fats and protein, if you are consuming more calories than you burn, with or without medical conditions, you cannot be losing weight. It won't happen because your body cannot make the extra mass of food just disappear into nothingness.

Quite frankly speaking, if someone has a medical condition, instead of prescribing diets to them on an internet forum, I'd probably tell them to see a doctor first. Example - if you have issues with your thyroid, your doctor might want you to get on medication and get your hormones under control before you think about diets and exercise plans.

I think we need to take the emotions out of this.
Completely agree, my point was just that there are conditions which tend to affect ones hormones and cause weight gain to the point where diet may not be enough to circumvent the effects. In other words, diet is sometimes not the only cause for uncontrollable weight gain.

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Beauty, Health & Fitness”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 19 guests