Singapore Expats

How to lose weight?

Discuss about beauty & health. Need some advice or looking for a particular product? Share your beauty and health tips here.
Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Re: How to lose weight?

Post by Lisafuller » Fri, 15 Oct 2021 10:28 pm

smoulder wrote:
Wed, 29 Sep 2021 7:28 am
midlet2013 wrote:
Tue, 28 Sep 2021 9:05 am
Lisafuller wrote:
Tue, 28 Sep 2021 2:33 am

Calories are calories, there is no difference whatsoever. The only difference is nutrition and the amount of each type of food you will be able to consume.
This I cant believe. Its certainly not true but you are entirely entitled . Just bcuz majority believe this nonsense does not make it true. This is exactly the reason why obesity has increased in the last few decades. Bcus people are getting more calories from Junk Processed food, Carbs and Sugar. And less from Fats and Proteins.
You can't believe it? This is the keyword. Keep arrogantly telling people that they are idiots (implicitly) because they contradict your beliefs.
Exactly. Would be nice if everyone could be more open to entertaining alternative views.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Fri, 15 Oct 2021 10:28 pm

BBCDoc wrote:
Thu, 14 Oct 2021 9:54 am

Check this out - lost 2kg in a week. Did 2 mornings of intense cycling, and increase vegetable and fruit consumption, minima rice consumption.

Still had breads and oats in the morning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wow! Quite a feat, and from what you’ve described, doesn’t seem like much effort at all!

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Fri, 15 Oct 2021 10:29 pm

BBCDoc wrote:

Check this out - lost 2kg in a week. Did 2 mornings of intense cycling, and increase vegetable and fruit consumption, minima rice consumption.

What app is this, by the way?

BBCDoc
Chatter
Chatter

Post by BBCDoc » Sat, 16 Oct 2021 2:09 pm

Lisafuller wrote:
BBCDoc wrote:

The App is Garmin connect. I am using the Vivosmart 4 device.

Cycling was hard work, pushed myself in the hills…made a big impact to fitness

There's always room for one more

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sat, 16 Oct 2021 2:24 pm

BBCDoc wrote:

At the beginning one can lose even 5-7kg every week (depending on the starting point) just by cutting down food and actually gain weight from exercising. What better shows the process is the sustainable weight loss after min 3 weeks.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 16 Oct 2021 4:18 pm

x9200. Like this from my 2008 programme of which I spoke?
weightloss_chart 2008~2009.xlsx.jpg
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sat, 16 Oct 2021 9:58 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Sat, 16 Oct 2021 4:18 pm
I believe it is a bit different case :) BBCDoc is right now ~68kg so I don't think he has the same starting point we have had.

I lost in first 5 months around 40-45 kg. Very first month was 7-8kg a week. My starting weight was closer to 128 kg. I've been trying to maintain my weight around 80-85kg, what is a bit higher than what bmi suggests but people keep telling me that any lower I look not really healthy.

But with this 80-85kg going back for Christmas or any 2 weeks binge-eating like food indulgence period and trying to get the weight down back always work for me in such pattern that I quickly lose a few kilograms in first few weeks and later the metabolism slows down. 2kg a week starting from moderate-low weight levels is not sustainable even with a very low callories intake.

smoulder
Editor
Editor

Post by smoulder » Mon, 18 Oct 2021 11:39 am

x9200 wrote:
Sat, 16 Oct 2021 9:58 pm
Sat, 16 Oct 2021 4:18 pm
I believe it is a bit different case :) BBCDoc is right now ~68kg so I don't think he has the same starting point we have had.

I lost in first 5 months around 40-45 kg. Very first month was 7-8kg a week. My starting weight was closer to 128 kg. I've been trying to maintain my weight around 80-85kg, what is a bit higher than what bmi suggests but people keep telling me that any lower I look not really healthy.

But with this 80-85kg going back for Christmas or any 2 weeks binge-eating like food indulgence period and trying to get the weight down back always work for me in such pattern that I quickly lose a few kilograms in first few weeks and later the metabolism slows down. 2kg a week starting from moderate-low weight levels is not sustainable even with a very low callories intake.
There are so many different scenarios. I have had a few myself :

1. I was a muscular 110 kgs but carrying a bit of excess fat - I force-fed and lifted weights to get big and strong. Then I dieted down to 100kgs and then later around 90 kgs while maintaining as much strength as possible.

2. From 90kgs (fairly lean) I wanted to push the envelope so I did a cyclical keto diet to have visible abs. Again I didn't do a full blown keto diet because cyclical keto is better for maintaining muscle and strength. I was around 83 to 85 kgs by the end of it.

3. Now I'm at a stage where I eat what I want, when I want. Protein intake has always been high. So I'm around the 90 kgs mark and occasionally, I might end up gaining a few excess kgs like 3 to 4. Then I cut back on junk and carbs to get back to 90kgs which is where I'm happy to be right now.

So there's really different scenarios, different goals and different tools depending on where you are at. There's no single approach which covers them all. Generally speaking, everything boils down to manipulation of calorie intake.

There's another point that has to be made here. Sometimes, your diet has to be such that it doesn't handicap you socially - while you want to be healthy, it's also not acceptable to some people to be on a diet that prevents them from doing simple things like going out for lunch with friends or colleagues.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 18 Oct 2021 2:42 pm

Interesting you brought up the last paragraph. I went to numerous luncheons and 3 wedding banquets during that 5+ months. Never had a problem. Just let the host know before hand I was on a very rigid diet and if it would be okay if I brought my own food and the staff could transfer it to their dinnerware and serve it like everybody else. All venues did so, without any issues. Deviating one evening would entail another whole week on the programme if I broke discipline. This is why my loss in the chart virtually looks like an almost straight diagonal down the page. One just has to make up their mind. It will only prevent somebody if they let it. Most others in the group will generally admire someone who has the determination to see it through.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

smoulder
Editor
Editor

Post by smoulder » Mon, 18 Oct 2021 2:51 pm

Mon, 18 Oct 2021 2:42 pm
Interesting you brought up the last paragraph. I went to numerous luncheons and 3 wedding banquets during that 5+ months. Never had a problem. Just let the host know before hand I was on a very rigid diet and if it would be okay if I brought my own food and the staff could transfer it to their dinnerware and serve it like everybody else. All venues did so, without any issues. Deviating one evening would entail another whole week on the programme if I broke discipline. This is why my loss in the chart virtually looks like an almost straight diagonal down the page. One just has to make up their mind. It will only prevent somebody if they let it. Most others in the group will generally admire someone who has the determination to see it through.
Well not everyone is the same and I am not necessarily talking about myself here but I do encounter people who will stick to a diet if it doesn't involve being extremely rigid to the extent where they have to carry their own lunch everywhere they go.

The moment you introduce rigidity, up goes the chances of Joe average getting intimidated and setting himself up for failure. Also as someone who's been manipulating my body weight up and down for 2 decades, I have realized that as long as you can get things right 80 or 90 percent of the time, you will generally be healthy. The remaining 10 to 20 percent of slightly letting down your guard is actually beneficial for your sanity especially when you are doing this for decades and it's a lifestyle rather than a fix.

Now, if you are a bodybuilder or an elite athlete where every last detail matters, then strict adherence is a given. I don't think anyone in this forum is there or anywhere close.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 18 Oct 2021 3:05 pm

We used to have one on here, name was Sergio. Miniature HULK height wise only! My rigidity was part of the programme, not the rest of my life. And it works beyond belief. In the process I also got rid of my HBP, Gout and cholesterol in good levels.

smoulder
Editor
Editor

Post by smoulder » Mon, 18 Oct 2021 3:15 pm

Mon, 18 Oct 2021 3:05 pm
We used to have one on here, name was Sergio. Miniature HULK height wise only! My rigidity was part of the programme, not the rest of my life. And it works beyond belief. In the process I also got rid of my HBP, Gout and cholesterol in good levels.
Right. It always depends.

You can be sure that I was pretty rigid in the months when I was chasing visible abs. If you have ever watched the TV show "My 600 lbs life", that's certainly another case where rigidity is important because those are morbidly obese folks who's chances of survival are very low if they don't lose weight extremely rapidly.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Mon, 18 Oct 2021 3:19 pm

BBCDoc wrote:
Sat, 16 Oct 2021 2:09 pm
Lisafuller wrote:
BBCDoc wrote:

The App is Garmin connect. I am using the Vivosmart 4 device.

Cycling was hard work, pushed myself in the hills…made a big impact to fitness

I see, is the app only compatible with Garmin devices?

BBCDoc
Chatter
Chatter

Post by BBCDoc » Tue, 02 Nov 2021 6:40 am

Here’s my weight after a few more weeks. Mainly fluctuating around 68kg.

I have increased the amount of hills I am cycling on, so perhaps a bit of muscle buildings there since they have gotten a bit easier over a few weeks of training.

Diet generally the same, no major changes and still consuming a lot of unhealthy savoury carbo snacks.

Work had been hectic over the last weeks, hopefully get to dial down a little and get the diet a bit healthier.

There's always room for one more

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Sun, 28 Nov 2021 5:47 am

smoulder wrote:
Wed, 29 Sep 2021 7:28 am
midlet2013 wrote:
Tue, 28 Sep 2021 9:05 am
Lisafuller wrote:
Tue, 28 Sep 2021 2:33 am

Calories are calories, there is no difference whatsoever. The only difference is nutrition and the amount of each type of food you will be able to consume.
This I cant believe. Its certainly not true but you are entirely entitled . Just bcuz majority believe this nonsense does not make it true. This is exactly the reason why obesity has increased in the last few decades. Bcus people are getting more calories from Junk Processed food, Carbs and Sugar. And less from Fats and Proteins.
You can't believe it? This is the keyword. Keep arrogantly telling people that they are idiots (implicitly) because they contradict your beliefs.
Last edited by Lisafuller on Sun, 28 Nov 2021 5:53 am, edited 1 time in total.