Singapore Expats

Local resentment at foreigners....get a life

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 15 Apr 2013 3:47 pm

Okay, I have to admit, I've occasionally used the lift to go up or down one floor. But that's usually when I look perfectly normal standing still, but cannot walk because of a gout flareup so try to walk a little as possible but still work.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Mon, 15 Apr 2013 4:03 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Okay, I have to admit, I've occasionally used the lift to go up or down one floor. But that's usually when I look perfectly normal standing still, but cannot walk because of a gout flareup so try to walk a little as possible but still work.
A lot of people apparently have gout, arthritis, weak muscles...
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

iamsen
Regular
Regular

Post by iamsen » Mon, 15 Apr 2013 4:08 pm

I'm more pissed at people hogging the escalators.

I have bad ankles too.

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Mon, 15 Apr 2013 4:18 pm

BedokAmerican wrote:Another thing related to "studying" but on a different topic related to taking up space that annoys me is that there are countless numbers of people riding lifts who obviously aren't handicapped, aren't pushing strollers/prams and aren't carrying large things.

It would be so much quicker for them to ride the escalators or take the stairs but they won't do it. This is quite common in the shopping malls and MRT stations. I'm waiting for a lift with my child in a stroller and the lift stops and I can't get on because it's filled with abled bodies.

I feel compelled to call them out but refrain.
I may be wrong, but what's wrong with able-bodied people using lifts? For example, I want to go to the 5th floor of a mall to run my errands or to catch a movie (cinema complex is usually at the top floor of a mall). Instead of going round and round up on escalators, I can just pop into a lift that will take me straight up.

And some malls have a very weird way of placing escalators at opposite ends of the mall, which makes everyone walk the entire length of the mall just to get up one floor.

But if I see those on wheelchairs, are old, or with strollers, I'd definitely let them take the elevators first.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 15 Apr 2013 5:01 pm

Lynx, I see you've been to NEX too. I hates that place! The interior designer should be made to run up and down all the escalators in that place including running between them as well. And then......

SHOT!
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

local lad
Chatter
Chatter

Re: Local resentment at foreigners....get a life

Post by local lad » Mon, 15 Apr 2013 5:30 pm

bluenose wrote:I was in a coffee shop yesterday at JP and there were no seats as 50% were taken by young students who share drinks or drink nothing with the other 50% choped for imaginary friends.....so I asked/told a couple to move right along or do a strange thing and buy something ......then the wee friends come along and mouth something and continually stare as my wife is a local.....so straight to the face " you got a problem'....of course they cower behind the empty coffee glass and hide...and the glass was quite big so I could not see him...
The younger generation here need a good slap in the jaw....they act tough...mouthing at foreigners....as they study in coffee shops sharing their drinks....
Of course after I left he slagged me off telling me to leave his country....I did not walk back as did not want to make the shop girl clean up his urine...

Us Ang Mohs have no need to share drinks....we are not asylum seekers...we are here working and earning lots of money thank you and paying taxes to your country to keep you lot in work!

My wife is Singaporean and is ashamed of the way some of her country folk behave.....Get a life and look within...that's where the problem is...not with us...we are all really quite happy...unlike you! :D

These kids I would say are gutless and obviously ignorant. Nowadays, kids are disrespectful and sure has to do with their upbringing. However, one cannot completely blame them since their parents are working the whole day and not enough parent bonding happening in the family, resulting in kids seeking solace or any forms of acceptance amongst their peers. Usually, ringleader would dictate their behaviour in public by acting what they should be doing. I cannot say I will not be angry at them if it happened to me but on the hindsight, I felt these kids are at a loss with their direction in life.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Mon, 15 Apr 2013 5:54 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Lynx, I see you've been to NEX too. I hates that place! The interior designer should be made to run up and down all the escalators in that place including running between them as well. And then......

SHOT!
West Mall is the same (from time to time at least).
I wonder if this is on purpose to make you pass nearby more stores. Just like they do in the superstores periodically rearranging them so you have to browse all the aisles before you find the new locations of your favourite products.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 15 Apr 2013 5:58 pm

Local lad,

I still blame the parents. Both parents working is no excuse for not teaching morals and manners. Both of my parents works from the time I was a toddler till after my younger sister graduated. We never had a maid, my mom cooked, cleaned house, worked a full time job and we still had weekends and evenings to bond. Of course we all sat down at the dinner table together and didn't have infernal handphones to divert our attentions (the parent as well as the kids). Blaming it on working is nothing but a cop out. Both of my kids were raised by two working parents as well, without a maid. And my kids are considerate, kind and helpful. Put the blame squarely on the shoulders were it needs to be placed.

Sergei82
Editor
Editor

Post by Sergei82 » Mon, 15 Apr 2013 6:02 pm

x9200 wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:Lynx, I see you've been to NEX too. I hates that place! The interior designer should be made to run up and down all the escalators in that place including running between them as well. And then......

SHOT!
West Mall is the same (from time to time at least).
I wonder if this is on purpose to make you pass nearby more stores. Just like they do in the superstores periodically rearranging them so you have to browse all the aisles before you find the new locations of your favourite products.
I thought she was talking about Plaza Singapura at Dhoby Ghaut or Funan. And I had no doubts from the very beginning that it is made like that porposely to force you to look around and possibly buy something.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Mon, 15 Apr 2013 7:47 pm

SHOT!
Don't go to Orchard Central. The layout was designed by a video game developer.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

Brah
Manager
Manager

Post by Brah » Mon, 15 Apr 2013 9:56 pm

zzm9980 wrote:I feel compelled to come post and report, live from Big Splash Starbucks :D

So the place is packed, obviously packed with both students and local "professionals" (I'm guessing all real estate agents). One table in the corner was 'free'. As I walk up, I see a student on one side of the chair has his cables draped through the area to the outlet. That doesn't bother me at all. As I continue to walk up, he sees me, looks at his cables, and very conspicously picks his cables up and drapes them across the chair at the table he isn't even using as if to chop the chair. I chuckle and just sit down. He turned back around and mumbled something in the bastardized pidgin talk used on this island.
Good for you. I'd do and have done much of the same thing. Always politely and being reasonable.

One thing is for sure - when they pull stunts like this, they know they are in the wrong, and will back down fast. As they should.

OracleOfQuantico

Post by OracleOfQuantico » Tue, 16 Apr 2013 12:47 am

edited
Last edited by OracleOfQuantico on Tue, 16 Apr 2013 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

iamsen
Regular
Regular

Post by iamsen » Tue, 16 Apr 2013 2:58 am

"Singapore is multi-cultural, we are NOT racist!"
*Proceeds to spew forth negative stereotypes about certain nationalities.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Tue, 16 Apr 2013 3:27 am

Brah wrote:
zzm9980 wrote:I feel compelled to come post and report, live from Big Splash Starbucks :D

So the place is packed, obviously packed with both students and local "professionals" (I'm guessing all real estate agents). One table in the corner was 'free'. As I walk up, I see a student on one side of the chair has his cables draped through the area to the outlet. That doesn't bother me at all. As I continue to walk up, he sees me, looks at his cables, and very conspicously picks his cables up and drapes them across the chair at the table he isn't even using as if to chop the chair. I chuckle and just sit down. He turned back around and mumbled something in the bastardized pidgin talk used on this island.
Good for you. I'd do and have done much of the same thing. Always politely and being reasonable.

One thing is for sure - when they pull stunts like this, they know they are in the wrong, and will back down fast. As they should.
Ah yes that 'trick' would have acted as a JR8-magnet too. What an Ar$e that youth was.

Can any local elaborate on the rationale. Choping maximum space, especially at the expense of others, I win, etc ??

watching_a_sunset
Regular
Regular

Re: Local resentment at foreigners....get a life

Post by watching_a_sunset » Tue, 16 Apr 2013 6:58 am

bluenose wrote:I was in a coffee shop yesterday at JP and there were no seats as 50% were taken by young students who share drinks or drink nothing with the other 50% choped for imaginary friends.....so I asked/told a couple to move right along or do a strange thing and buy something ......then the wee friends come along and mouth something and continually stare as my wife is a local.....so straight to the face " you got a problem'....of course they cower behind the empty coffee glass and hide...and the glass was quite big so I could not see him...
The younger generation here need a good slap in the jaw....they act tough...mouthing at foreigners....as they study in coffee shops sharing their drinks....
Of course after I left he slagged me off telling me to leave his country....I did not walk back as did not want to make the shop girl clean up his urine...

Us Ang Mohs have no need to share drinks....we are not asylum seekers...we are here working and earning lots of money thank you and paying taxes to your country to keep you lot in work!

My wife is Singaporean and is ashamed of the way some of her country folk behave.....Get a life and look within...that's where the problem is...not with us...we are all really quite happy...unlike you! :D

I been here for a while now and i gotta say it aint easy being green... i get plenty of racist remarks from youths telling me to leave this country , telling me to serve national service " if im a man? " and contributing to this country 0_o.......? and i thought most singaporeans were the ones saying that white/brown/black people are racist LOL .... im not the only ones afterall ROFL