Singapore Expats

Another post by foreigners to rile up locals

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sun, 03 Jun 2012 7:05 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Hell, I've been sayin' it for 30 years. In fact, the only "girls" with any dress sense are the trannies. :P
Dunno.... some of the SPGs convincingly dress like $10 hookers.

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Sun, 03 Jun 2012 10:48 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:I've always said guys in particular have no dress sense here. Why do they wear their ties so they hand 6 inches below their belt? :???:
Natural selection, SMS, natural selection...

Think of all the possible ways to die with that thing. Kindda weed out the bad dressers :twisted:

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Mon, 04 Jun 2012 3:07 am

After some time away from SG, on returning this week I was struck by a number of things.

- The apparent total lack of dress sense some people have. I'm not suggesting this is unique to SG, but what seems unusual is people who seem to believe they have made an effort to look fashionable, and yet it is such a total clashing fail.

- How it appears routine for MRT carriages to have many if not all seats removed.

- How much I hate Changi airport :)

- The amount of people whose employment requires them to harass people on the street and try and sell them stuff they didn't realise they wanted or needed.

- The constant and debilitating noise. Raffles Place, oh my god! So noisy I could barely think. The acoustics of the place seem awful, with a constant level of din permanently there. Not just construction, but PA systems blaring music and people having to yell to be heard over it. City Hall area was not much better, the background baseline of noise is quite incredible.
Thursday night 11pm a concert going on near the hotel at Padang area (?), Led Zep being blasted out so loud I could hear it inside the hotel room. Next morning, similar happening coming from a PA... GnR and Michael Jackson's Thriller.... noise noise noise!

- How friendly taxi drivers from the airport seem to be.

- How boxes must be ticked with no common sense applied*.

- Yeah the walking and holding a mobile thing, as if it is gives special powers that you needn't look where you're going.

- The bargain of green-lip mussels at $2.90kg! (Market Place, City Hall)

- The move towards plastic banknotes... don like ah.

* I called and made an appointment at 1.30pm with my dentist for 3pm that same afternoon. At 2pm they called me (on my EU mobile #) to reconfirm, because 'we reconfirm all appointments beforehand so that people don't forget' :roll: :lol:

- Shock moment. On the MRT, a middle aged Chinese women was about to sit down in a Reserved Seat, but stopped and gave it instead to a 'about pensioner age' Australian women who had got on at the same stop.

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Mon, 04 Jun 2012 8:42 am

JR8 wrote:Shock moment. On the MRT, a middle aged Chinese women was about to sit down in a Reserved Seat, but stopped and gave it instead to a 'about pensioner age' Australian women who had got on at the same stop.
This.

Welcome back JR8 by the way :)

poodlek
Reporter
Reporter

Post by poodlek » Mon, 04 Jun 2012 11:42 am

JR8 wrote: - The constant and debilitating noise. Raffles Place, oh my god! So noisy I could barely think. The acoustics of the place seem awful, with a constant level of din permanently there. Not just construction, but PA systems blaring music and people having to yell to be heard over it. City Hall area was not much better, the background baseline of noise is quite incredible.
Thursday night 11pm a concert going on near the hotel at Padang area (?), Led Zep being blasted out so loud I could hear it inside the hotel room. Next morning, similar happening coming from a PA... GnR and Michael Jackson's Thriller.... noise noise noise!
This has been a big struggle for me lately, I've even resorted to wearing earplugs when I'm at home by myself, even then I could still hear kids screaming like @r$e#ol3s out by the pool for hours on end this weekend. I know kids are kids, but is screaming like you're getting your legs sawed off really necessary to have a good time in the pool? *hrmpf* I must be getting old. Even at 3am there's always some noise from the highway or my noisy a/c unit or something. I'd give my spleen for an hour or two of silence.

morenangpinay
Reporter
Reporter

Post by morenangpinay » Mon, 04 Jun 2012 12:46 pm

the way i see it they have fashion sense but they are bit lazy on dressing up. I think i read somewhere before ...a survey of somekind where SG girls were asked why they prefer foreign men over local men...one of the answers were they dont dress well.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Mon, 04 Jun 2012 2:16 pm

the lynx wrote: Welcome back JR8 by the way :)
Thanks! :) After installing a completely new OS on my little netbook (used on holidays), and it working better than ever before, I got it all the way to the PH to switch it on the first morning and find the HDD (actually SSD chip) was not recognised. I.e. given circumstances, completely buggered! :cry:

p.s. Another thing I noticed is that as most people seem to have web enabled devices these days there are very few (if any) internet cafes around. And since people don't tend to like lending others their electronics, if you don't have your own device you are rather up the creek.

Poodle. My observations were made on waiting to chope a table at The Sandwich Shop. Just the background noise was so high I could barely follow a conversation, and that became annoying (I accept my hearing is not what it once was). We had dinner at Canele Patisserie at City Hall. Sure it was about 9pm Friday night but we joked about yelling to be able to hear each other (my wife usually doesn't register background noise as an annoyance).

Oh by the way, have you tried those silicone earplugs? Rather like the old malleable wax ones just a little less messy. They really completely work. In fact so well I'd caution against using them if you are hoping to be woken by an alarm clock!

morenangpinay wrote:the way i see it they have fashion sense but they are bit lazy on dressing up.
Nah... I said they seem to make an effort but fail on an epic scale.

I mean like a dumpy little girl in calf high stiletto gladiator sandals, calf length lace edged leggings, two or three layered and clashing tops, finished off with a crochet bolero jacket with fur trim.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Tue, 05 Jun 2012 1:49 am

JR8 wrote: I mean like a dumpy little girl in calf high stiletto gladiator sandals, calf length lace edged leggings, two or three layered and clashing tops, finished off with a crochet bolero jacket with fur trim.
I'd bet a paycheck any local would tell you that's a PRC girl.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Tue, 05 Jun 2012 1:52 am

zzm9980 wrote:
JR8 wrote: I mean like a dumpy little girl in calf high stiletto gladiator sandals, calf length lace edged leggings, two or three layered and clashing tops, finished off with a crochet bolero jacket with fur trim.
Bingo.

Now 50% of the population ah? lol...

the lynx
Governor
Governor

Post by the lynx » Tue, 05 Jun 2012 8:53 am

JR8 wrote:Nah... I said they seem to make an effort but fail on an epic scale.

I mean like a dumpy little girl in calf high stiletto gladiator sandals, calf length lace edged leggings, two or three layered and clashing tops, finished off with a crochet bolero jacket with fur trim.
Layers and fur trim?!

Wrong country.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Tue, 05 Jun 2012 9:20 am

nakatago wrote:The way I see it, here's this snob who thinks very lowly of people who are not up to his snooty standards. On the other hand, we have this people who get offended by the slightest criticism, even from someone to whom they shouldn't pay attention in the first place.

And then there's us who ready our umbrellas, shields and ponchos knowing that animal waste matter will hit spinning aerofoils.
me too +1 ^^^
I am actually more bothered by the tourists eating out in some more fancy places wearing shorts and sandals rather than locals who are often better and more tastefuly dressed but in the everyday setting tends to put on too much of the glitering stuff.
And I am constantly bothered by the way women walk here.

beenthere
Regular
Regular

Post by beenthere » Tue, 05 Jun 2012 9:35 am

x9200 wrote: And I am constantly bothered by the way women walk here.
How do they walk?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 05 Jun 2012 10:40 am

When they wear too high high heels? Like they've got a corncob......... :oops:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Tue, 05 Jun 2012 11:00 am

beenthere wrote:
x9200 wrote: And I am constantly bothered by the way women walk here.
How do they walk?
Velociraptors.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Tue, 05 Jun 2012 11:26 am

zzm9980 wrote:
Or Hong Kong / Taiwanese ..

Well, I attended some function, which was full of HK / Taiwan representative .. the women were dressed pretty outlandish, and with a lot of Fur stuff and fish net stockings - even for the older women ..