Singapore Expats

CHEATED - HDB WINDOW SECURITY LOCK

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
KTV@

CHEATED - HDB WINDOW SECURITY LOCK

Post by KTV@ » Wed, 27 Jul 2011 3:11 pm

They (about 7-8 persons) come to you and said they are authorised from HDB for puroses to look and check your window for security reason....... Also do demo, how to open the window without tools from outside.Meanwhile, told you that theft cases happened in where and where especially break in through window. Final, they recommand you to install the security lock which cost about S$45 per locker.

Initialy, two units of windows (corridor) agreed to install. After installed. they told that 11 lockers used. The salesperson agreed to offer further discount if choose to install for room windows and balcony windows....At the end, total costs about S$8xx.

Is the price is reasonable? I feel like cheated, why paid such amount for that security locker.

Anyone install the locker also?
KTV@KTV@

ksl
Governor
Governor

Re: CHEATED - HDB WINDOW SECURITY LOCK

Post by ksl » Wed, 27 Jul 2011 3:29 pm

KTV@ wrote:They (about 7-8 persons) come to you and said they are authorised from HDB for puroses to look and check your window for security reason....... Also do demo, how to open the window without tools from outside.Meanwhile, told you that theft cases happened in where and where especially break in through window. Final, they recommand you to install the security lock which cost about S$45 per locker.

Initialy, two units of windows (corridor) agreed to install. After installed. they told that 11 lockers used. The salesperson agreed to offer further discount if choose to install for room windows and balcony windows....At the end, total costs about S$8xx.

Is the price is reasonable? I feel like cheated, why paid such amount for that security locker.

Anyone install the locker also?
Sounds like Ex Sim Lim guys
After installed. they told that 11 lockers used.
Not being Singaporean I find Singlish difficult! How 11 used, for Initially, two units of windows (corridor) agreed to install, doesn't make sense :roll: :???: $45 per lock, but you have labour charges too which was how much?

Yes you have been ripped off or talked into replacing all the locks, which you was so hesitant about.. Lodge a complaint with CASE
Last edited by ksl on Wed, 27 Jul 2011 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JayCee
Reporter
Reporter

Post by JayCee » Wed, 27 Jul 2011 3:52 pm

Didn't you ask to see their credentials when they said they were authorised by HDB? Did you check with HDB before you let them go ahead with the work?
I HAVE MASTERS!

Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Wed, 27 Jul 2011 3:55 pm

JayCee wrote:Didn't you ask to see their credentials when they said they were authorised by HDB? Did you check with HDB before you let them go ahead with the work?
Now that would be using your common sense........

Tigerslayer
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Tigerslayer » Wed, 27 Jul 2011 9:34 pm

Thats quite a mark up for labour and doesn't sound very transparent.

Sounds dodgy to me. Why would they bring 7-8 people?? Unless they were children... are you sure it wasn't bring your family to work day?

mrswkn
Regular
Regular

yes

Post by mrswkn » Thu, 28 Jul 2011 5:21 pm

I got ripped off too.
Last edited by mrswkn on Wed, 17 Apr 2013 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Barri

Post by Barri » Fri, 05 Aug 2011 12:30 pm

You let an invasion of 7 or 8 people in your house without asking for identification or to leave the rest outside??!??

I am glad you only lost some money for locks. :?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 05 Aug 2011 1:53 pm

As Addadude coined so many years ago, "Low Crime doesn't mean No Crime" Con artists abound in this country. All they need to do is make up an official looking pass that mentions HDB (doesn't have to say they ARE HDB) and the less educated/Chinese educated won't understand and take it that because they wear these "passes" on lanyards around their necks, that they are actually representing the government/HDB. The Garbage Chute door replacement outfits have to be the worst of the lot.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Fri, 05 Aug 2011 1:57 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote: The Garbage Chute door replacement outfits have to be the worst of the lot.
We duct-taped* ours and go out of our way to go downstairs to put the trash into the dumpster.

*we's gots roaches frommit.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

LittleRunningBear

Post by LittleRunningBear » Sat, 06 Aug 2011 1:15 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:As Addadude coined so many years ago, "Low Crime doesn't mean No Crime" Con artists abound in this country. All they need to do is make up an official looking pass that mentions HDB (doesn't have to say they ARE HDB) and the less educated/Chinese educated won't understand and take it that because they wear these "passes" on lanyards around their necks, that they are actually representing the government/HDB. The Garbage Chute door replacement outfits have to be the worst of the lot.
Sorry to intrude but can you elaborate the part in bold?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 06 Aug 2011 6:41 pm

Around once ever 6 months or so, you will be bombarded with con-artists all with their "name-tags" on landyards around their necks and having a piece of paper showing that they are authorized by HDB to replace the garbage chute door in your flat. Upon close inspection and questioning you will find that that "are" authorized by HDB as legitimate contractors, but not as they profess, are there to inspect and replace said units on "behalf" of the HDB and a "very good rate" As soon as you ask to see their contact numbers, license numbers and tell them as soon as you contact HDB to verify that HDB is sending them, they quietly & quickly disappear. You will, on rare occasions also get similar BS in your mail box. They prey on the stupidity of HDB dwellers and the HDB dwellers innate fear of the gahmen.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

LittleRunningBear

Post by LittleRunningBear » Sun, 07 Aug 2011 7:36 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Around once ever 6 months or so, you will be bombarded with con-artists all with their "name-tags" on landyards around their necks and having a piece of paper showing that they are authorized by HDB to replace the garbage chute door in your flat. Upon close inspection and questioning you will find that that "are" authorized by HDB as legitimate contractors, but not as they profess, are there to inspect and replace said units on "behalf" of the HDB and a "very good rate" As soon as you ask to see their contact numbers, license numbers and tell them as soon as you contact HDB to verify that HDB is sending them, they quietly & quickly disappear. You will, on rare occasions also get similar BS in your mail box. They prey on the stupidity of HDB dwellers and the HDB dwellers innate fear of the gahmen.
Thanks for the clarification!

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sun, 07 Aug 2011 7:58 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:They prey on ...the HDB dwellers innate fear of the gahmen.
What a ...... weird dynamic SGns put up with.
:?

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Sun, 07 Aug 2011 9:02 pm

you should ask to see their HDB identification card. i think it's also their office access card.

it's a credit card sized ID card with the red HDB housing logo, their photo and some details.

if you don't see it, don't let them in. HDB officers are usually very happy to show it to you.
Aut viam ad caelum inveniam aut faciam

Tigerslayer
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Tigerslayer » Sun, 07 Aug 2011 9:07 pm

Glad I read this since we were actually considering the garbage chute replacement thingy.

I think I will go down the duct tape path and just take it all downstairs..