Singapore Expats

Ielts do it on purpose?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
chongapore

Re: Ielts do it on purpose?

Post by chongapore » Thu, 28 Jul 2016 5:09 pm

What rubbish! I had to take IELTS just once and got 9 9 8.5 8.5 and I had no tutors. I guess people overestimate the conspiracies and their abilities. Learn to speak and write the language properly, m'kay? For the record English is my second language.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 28 Jul 2016 8:01 pm

That explains why you didn't use commas between the scores and you misspelled okay. Additionally, if English is your second language, that means you had 10 to 12 years of study so in theory you should have aced all of them. Guess you were a slacker in school.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

BBCWatcher
Editor
Editor

Post by BBCWatcher » Fri, 29 Jul 2016 8:54 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:That explains why you didn't use commas between the scores...
I don't think there's any rigorous style rule addressing this situation. For example, Olympic judges' scores could be reported in prose without commas -- or at least that wouldn't be surprising or "wrong." There's even a bit of poetry or artistry there. Listing the scores without commas conveys a sense of monotony to the reader, and that's often appropriate in these circumstances.

I don't think you can ding Chongapore for that one. It's certainly not a capital offense in the English language.
...and you misspelled okay.
No, I'm afraid you're a bit out of date. Chongapore's use of "m'kay" provides some evidence that he's highly tuned into popular culture in the English speaking world, at least North America's part of it. That's impressive, and kudos to Chongapore! See here for a recent reference. And here. (Caution: The second link is Not Safe for Work.)

Never, never criticize someone else's grammar without checking first. Even if there's a language problem, it's usually best to ignore the problem unless there's some difficulty in understanding the writer.

On this occasion Chongapore has outscored you, SMS. ;)

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 29 Jul 2016 9:28 am

BS.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

BBCWatcher
Editor
Editor

Post by BBCWatcher » Fri, 29 Jul 2016 10:03 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:That explains why you didn't use commas between the scores and you misspelled okay.
Ironically, standard English grammar requires a comma after the word "scores" (or, alternatively, preferably, a repetition of the word "why"). I was trying to be polite in not pointing out that defect, but since you're not being polite.... ;)
sundaymorningstaple wrote:BS.
No, I'm afraid not. Check the references. I understood Chongapore's word choice immediately, and I was (and am) quite impressed. It was/is a perfectly used, perfectly placed bit of modern North American English -- very well played. "M'kay" entered popular English language vernacular at least as far back as 1999 with the release of the film South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut. That's just plain, demonstrated fact. The Oxford Dictionary agrees, although Oxford prefers the form "mkay" or "mmkay." (All are acceptable. The film used "m'kay," exactly as Chongapore wrote.) Chongapore's English is just more hip and modern than yours, that's all. Perhaps more clever, too, because "m'kay" is a replacement for another four letter word, as Mr. Mackey helpfully explained in the film. The second link I provided is a clip from the film.

"South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut" was not released in Singapore, to my knowledge. Netflix has that film available in several countries but not in Singapore. That film happened to be nominated for an Oscar (for "Best Music, Original Song": Blame Canada -- caution, Not Safe for Work).

You just missed this bit of evolution in the English language, SMS, that's all. This stuff happens when you're an expat, especially an elderly one. ;)

BBCWatcher
Editor
Editor

Post by BBCWatcher » Fri, 29 Jul 2016 10:33 am

If we're going to beat up on somebody's English grammar....
sundaymorningstaple wrote:....that means you had 10 to 12 years of study so in theory you should have aced all of them.
Standard rules of English grammar (and style) would require repairing this run-on sentence in some fashion. There are a couple possible solutions. Forming two sentences would work, as one example.
Guess you were a slacker in school.
Standard rules of English grammar would require using the personal pronoun "I" before the word "guess."

....Or we can keep beating up Chongapore for a fantastic, well played "South Park" reference. ;)

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Fri, 29 Jul 2016 12:04 pm

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Fri, 29 Jul 2016 3:24 pm

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: Ielts do it on purpose?

Post by ecureilx » Fri, 29 Jul 2016 8:11 pm

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 29 Jul 2016 9:18 pm

BBCW, I make no apologies about my English, I've said that many times on the forum. I didn't have the benefit of tertairy education like most of you did. I spent my time milking cows at 4:30 in the mornings. Cows do not have any real grammar needs, as they understand a cattle prod better. But I expect better of tertairy educated people who brag about their English even though it's no better than mine.

BBCWatcher
Editor
Editor

Post by BBCWatcher » Sat, 30 Jul 2016 2:25 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:But I expect better of tertairy educated people who brag about their English even though it's no better than mine.
The fact is that, on this occasion, Chongapore ran circles around you with a perfectly placed, perfectly pitched "South Park" reference. Score one for Chongapore, m'kay?

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 30 Jul 2016 7:41 pm

What is South Park?

BBCWatcher
Editor
Editor

Post by BBCWatcher » Sun, 31 Jul 2016 12:39 pm

A cultural phenomenon of some note with linguistic impact. The links provided upthread are useful.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 31 Jul 2016 2:51 pm

Is it like doonesbury? I normally don't watch cartoons or read comic books. In fact I normally dont' watch TV at all except for 30 minutes of news.

As the series, according to Wiki, started in 1997 and has never been shown in Singapore (and the rare times I go back to the US I sure don't have time for watching TV of any sort). I don't use torrents nor Hulu or whatever and don't use My Republic or ViewQuest, I guess it, like Game of Thrones, are two that I've never seen nor not in a great hurry to. In fact I sure there are dozens of shows I've not seen if they were not also shown here. Even then I might not because I don't like watching TV. I see it's supposed to be an Adult cartoon, but that sounds like an oxymoron to me. So I'll leave you to your cartoons, if it okay with you, M'kay? Oh, it's listed as Alternative English, so it's not universally accepted except on certain areas of the Internet apparently. So have it your way. I stand corrected, but I better never see a busiess letter typed that way. :-|