Singapore Expats

How to get slim like the locals

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
Casi

Balance diet!

Post by Casi » Sat, 25 Oct 2008 12:58 pm

Just think if you are having balance diet that will do. Personlly I eat a lot everyday especially dinner, plus wine/beer for sure! I do work out in gym 4 times a week, not burning lots of calories but toning your body for sure. Stay away the fast food and greasy food! :D

bluskye

Post by bluskye » Tue, 28 Oct 2008 5:01 pm

SMS, there's definitely something to what you wrote. If I generally eat breakfast, it's usually small and may consisit of coffee with either fruit, fruit yoghurt or toast or cereal and I find myself getting hungry late morning. When I skip eating, I don't feel the same hunger pangs.
I agree! its the same for me. I skip breakfast and I can get on with my day till past 11am, then i have an early lunch. But once I eat something, I feel theneed to graze all day long!

The best way to lose weight is to be in an unhappy relationship. I lost 6 kg in 4 months and have kept it off for about a year now! I guess that was my silver lining! :wink:

Min_Ong

Post by Min_Ong » Wed, 29 Oct 2008 3:03 am

i think it still boils down to genetics first. i know so many unhealthy people who are slim anyways. and the obsessed me, i have some extra curves.

and to my knowledge, us locals don't eat out that often. recently i dont. unless im out dining or some occasions. my bf is away for half a year now, so i've been eating out significantly lesser and have dropped some weight. when he comes back for the weekends and we eat out, thats when i pack it back.

i think it boils down to eating at home. :) rice, veg, fish, chicken, soup, egg. simple homecooked. maybe its the way our home food is cooked? steamed, grilled, etc with ginger/onions/bellpeppers/chilli/salt. simple things.

avoid the soft drinks, sugared drinks, alcohol. drink more soya bean, tea, water, herbal drinks. even fruit juices are sugar packed. but i have mine everyday. can't resist it.

cut out the fat from your meat.
never eat skin from meat. occasional bites maybe.
blot your food before you eat if you must. (i do that sometimes)
eat a small breakfast.
eat more fish.
more fruits and veg.
more lean meat. chicken.
avoid pasta or potatoes.
more rice, whole grain or white noodles.

but really,singapore's hawker food is fat fat fat.

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Post by Vaucluse » Thu, 30 Oct 2008 9:38 am

Min_Ong wrote:i think it still boils down to genetics first.

but really,singapore's hawker food is fat fat fat.
Genetics it is . . . then you hit 40 and everything goes pear-shaped . . . literally.

Fat, fat, fat? Then you're choosing the wrong, wrong, wrong dishes.

'nuff said Image

Bafana

Post by Bafana » Thu, 30 Oct 2008 10:09 am

Not all the locals are slim - More of them are than in Aussie but expect that's to do with National Service requirements. In other words regular exercise.
Be Like Water

Min_Ong

Post by Min_Ong » Fri, 31 Oct 2008 2:18 pm

Vaucluse wrote:
Fat, fat, fat? Then you're choosing the wrong, wrong, wrong dishes.
hahaha. name me some un-fatty hawker food.

i can only name yong tau foo, fish sliced noodles (white)(loaded with msg), porridge (sometimes msg) and rojak. and maybe mixed veg rice (depends on what you pick).

tendency for hawker food to be soaked with oil/fat is rather high.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 31 Oct 2008 4:39 pm

Oil/fat or white starches which are just as bad.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

micknlea
Reporter
Reporter

Post by micknlea » Fri, 31 Oct 2008 10:36 pm

Bafana wrote:Not all the locals are slim -
I was just thinking that this week whilst whiling away a few hours in the A&E at NUH. There I was in the mindnumbing mode that sitting in a boring place with nothing to do but count your brain cells dying or watch the people go past.

It was doing the latter of course that it struck me. The majority of people there were overweight. It was really quite amazing. I suddenly woke up and started to do some serious observation. (Ah the things you do when bored ****less). It worked out at about only 2 or 3 out of 10 there were not overweight.

Made me feel better anyway... :P
"My husband said it was him or the cat...I miss him sometimes." - Unknown

Splatted
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Splatted » Sat, 01 Nov 2008 7:41 pm

micknlea wrote:It worked out at about only 2 or 3 out of 10 there were not overweight.

Made me feel better anyway... :P
Of course, the degree of overweight is a relative thing, isn't it?

Perhaps the opening question should be reworded to "How to shrug off morbid-obesity and just be slightly chubby like the locals"?

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 01 Nov 2008 9:06 pm

Splatted, that's what did it for me. When I graduated from "Overweight" to "Obese" at a BMI of 34+ I decided it was time to turn my life around. So, now I am well past 40, I'm no longer "Pear-shaped" so I don't think Pear-shaped is an ordained thing as much as people are just too lazy or complacent to do anything about it. (aside from those with emotional problems, etc). I'm now wearing the same size I wore when I was discharged from active military service in July 1968. and that was 40 years ago.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

splat

Post by splat » Wed, 05 Nov 2008 8:41 pm

I'm an expat and have also noticed the amount of skinny locals eating at Hawker centres.

In most traditional society's people ate high saturated fat, and real foods.
The introduction of highly processed foods is what makes you fat. Cheap fake fats like vegetable oil, margarine, also white sugar, white flour, cereals and packaged goods with additives, milk powder etc. Lean meat is not good for you - our bodies need the fats. The "western diet" is incredible unhealthy.

Natural food keeps you skinny - including lard and fatty meats. This is why Singaporeans are still skinny most of the food is not highly processed and they use real fats like lard and palm oil which are actually very good for you. They eat way less sugar and still use natural sugars like palm sugar and honey as sweeteners.

Through history there were villages untouched by processed foods that ate very high fat content food, yet they were all trim and healthy, from Eskimo's to Swiss villagers who ate butter, cream and raw milk as the highest percentage of their food intake.

The thing in common is that the food is real and unprocessed.

Any-way that's my 2 cents as to why Singaporeans are trim and healthy.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 05 Nov 2008 10:48 pm

Published fact. 30% of Singaporeans are overweight. Don't know where you are looking unless it's just outside one of the Fitness Centres. 1 out of every three. Look around you. See two skinny locals? Good, then you might be the one out of three who is FAT. :P

Also, most of the trim ones are not healthy either. Just because you are trim does not mean you don't carry bad fat around your heart. Trim is only a visual term. It is not a measure of fitness.

splat

Post by splat » Wed, 05 Nov 2008 11:38 pm

yes but did you notice the fat ones are all at McDonalds not the hawker centers. And the women mostly go a nice pear shape and seem to hide the weight well, I think they still can look quite nice.
There are overweight people here but I don't think it has reached the epidemic of the west just yet. I still think that western food is a major cause of obesity.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 06 Nov 2008 7:00 am

Course you, like I used to do, could be looking at them with "US" or "Oz" tinted glasses where Oz has overtaking the US as the most "Fat" nation in the world. Comparatively speaking I suppose. But not when it come to BMI (and for Asians their BMI numbers are lower than a westerners).

molihua

Post by molihua » Sun, 09 Nov 2008 6:26 pm

I actually see a lot of thin expat females around.

why so much talk of being fat? It is nothing to do with being local or expat?

You can be little fat but dance beautifully. Really I see it last week.
This asian lady a bit fat but can line dance so nicely .......

Watch Rachel Ray on channel 5 most morning 9 or 9.30am i think.
she interview this Dr lawrence who says out low fat, out low calories.

Eat more olive oil, sardines , slow cook oats to stay younger and rid the wrinkles. He say fix the structure of our face by eating avocados not inject botox.

what u cook for dinner is important? cook hearty stuff like chilli, pasta soup and eat less meat. i love veges.