Singapore Expats

i'd like to learn French or Spanish

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
sapphire
Manager
Manager

Post by sapphire » Mon, 29 May 2006 3:04 pm

CD getting me hot? Hmmm...nah, not possible, he isn't Italian. :P
It's not getting any smarter out there. You have to come to terms with stupidity, and make it work for you.

afrenchmaninsingapore

Post by afrenchmaninsingapore » Mon, 29 May 2006 3:20 pm

moomoo wrote:Yeah, that website is indeed gd considering that it's a free online site for people to pick up a foreign language! But I need someone to guide me in the pronunciation and probably the grammar.

Haha... Now that you (afrenchmaninsingapore) mention! There's really some error in his French. Anyway, I have tried to pick up French by myself but I am having trouble with the pronunciation like I mentioned earlier. Yeah, movies are a good way to pick up a new language but it might be inadequate. Besides, I need to acquire a basic knowledge of French (written and spoken) in 2 1/2 months so learning through movies might be too slow. This is because I'll be going for student exchange in Canada where I would have to learn a "Basic French 1" module which is not for beginners... Btw, do you know where I can find French movies? I think they might aid in my learning of French despite it being inadequate. Thanks!! :D
As mentionned above, French in Canada, or more precisely in Quebec, is TOTALLY different in its pronunciation. The question then would be, do you want to learn French as French in France or French as International understandable French, and thus any kind of French would be ok.

The vocabulary is also totally different. For instance, "un char" in the Candian / Quebec French means a trolley, whereas in French "French" it means a tank, the army vehicule.... funny isn't it ?

You can get DVD in Carrefour, catch them on TV5, or (though I guess it would be a li'l bit illegal) via p2p networks :p

For the pronunciation, you can get rosetta stone methods (buy'em or download'em). Very good methods, same for japanese or english !

Amicalement,
AFrenchManInSingapore
La Vie est Belle ! Profitez en :-))
[email protected]

Baron Greenback
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Baron Greenback » Mon, 29 May 2006 3:22 pm

"un char" in the Candian / Quebec French means a trolley, whereas in French "French" it means a tank, the army vehicule.... funny isn't it ?

So that is why people push their trollies aorund Carrefour like they are at war :)
"An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools."
Hemingway

CardZeus
Chatter
Chatter

Post by CardZeus » Mon, 29 May 2006 3:30 pm

Baron Greenback wrote:
"un char" in the Candian / Quebec French means a trolley, whereas in French "French" it means a tank, the army vehicule.... funny isn't it ?

So that is why people push their trollies aorund Carrefour like they are at war :)

:lol: :cool: :lol:
The most incomprehensible thing about the world is that it is at all comprehensible.

Cheekybeek
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Cheekybeek » Mon, 29 May 2006 3:31 pm

Baron Greenback wrote:

I just had one of those 'uh huh' moments as Oprah would say.

BG you do realise you are now only a step away from discovering the meaning of life... just gotta figure out what a Swiss kiss is. :wink:

afrenchmaninsingapore

Post by afrenchmaninsingapore » Mon, 29 May 2006 3:32 pm

Baron Greenback wrote:

:D :D
I guess that's why...or maybe just 'cos they are hungry and scared not to find what they are looking for... Aren't you sometimes afraid of not finding exactly what you want in such big malls? :D

Btw, I'm your man anytime you wanna fight with trolleys on Carrefour Parking ^_^ Just like in theme park with bumpers cars ^.^ when I was a kid

AFMIS
La Vie est Belle ! Profitez en :-))
[email protected]