Singapore Expats

Hotel changing confirmed price

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
Superglide
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Superglide » Mon, 04 Feb 2008 4:45 pm

Questions:

Is the online reservations company a third party, or is it an internal department of the hotel itself?

How was the 350Rm confirmed, was it a direct confirmation (auto generated online) or was it confirmed by phone or email later on?

Possible situation:

The hotel rooms were reserved by the third party online operator, who published his rates (350RM), but who found out later on (after contacting the hotel to get the confirmation of its reservation for its client), that the published rate was no longer available. The online operator should then have informed Op and say the published rate is no longer available, but instead the rate left, is 700Rm rate. Op could then have decided to accept or cancel.

Either ways, either the hotel itself or the online operator should not have confirmed the 350RM rate, if it was no longer available.

The question only is: Who did it wrong, the hotel or a third party online operator.

The fact that the rate suddenly changed from 350Rm to 700Rm is quite common, as room rates vary along the time before being booked.
If only we could pull out our brain and use only our eyes.
Pablo Picasso

Lyndan

Post by Lyndan » Mon, 04 Feb 2008 10:33 pm

Thanks for all your replies.

Just to be clear - I did not see the reference to 350 per night before I booked - yes if I go through a different link on the website I can see it now but when I booked I did not.

The confirmation i received was by email - it details the amounts and the deposit taken etc.

I replied to the online reservations company asking them why they are chaning the confirmed price and why they had just issued me a new confirmation at the increased price without even checking with me - I havent heard anything yet...

sundaymorning - I never said this was Ireland I merely said that Id know what to do in Ireland here I do not hence I am asking for help. I think you jumped the gun a bit in your reply to be honest.

sprite
Chatter
Chatter

Post by sprite » Mon, 04 Feb 2008 11:24 pm

Lyndan wrote:Thanks for all your replies.

Just to be clear - I did not see the reference to 350 per night before I booked - yes if I go through a different link on the website I can see it now but when I booked I did not.

The confirmation i received was by email - it details the amounts and the deposit taken etc.

I replied to the online reservations company asking them why they are chaning the confirmed price and why they had just issued me a new confirmation at the increased price without even checking with me - I havent heard anything yet...

sundaymorning - I never said this was Ireland I merely said that Id know what to do in Ireland here I do not hence I am asking for help. I think you jumped the gun a bit in your reply to be honest.

=; Lyndan, please, SMS is a grumpy old man who uses that excuse to his best advantage to make snap judgements and whip the poor, unfortunate misguided among us into shape. Be very thankful [-o< he didn't have his real gun :shooting: (which you would have to pry from his ol' country boy cold, dead fingers). :D

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 05 Feb 2008 12:34 am

Lyndan wrote: sundaymorning - I never said this was Ireland I merely said that Id know what to do in Ireland here I do not hence I am asking for help. I think you jumped the gun a bit in your reply to be honest.
Lyndan wrote:I'm from Ireland and this would not be accepted here as price confirmation received is the price you pay. Is it the same in this instance?
Not quite what you wrote now is it.
hamamatsu1999 wrote:So Lyndan, is it the first case or the second case?
cutiebutie wrote:unless the initial fault lies with the hotel in question, and that is not mentioned here.
sprite wrote:A lot of what ifs... there simply isn't enough information to make a real call here.
I took your reply at face value based on my interpretation of what you wrote. It would seem though, that I wasn't the only one who though there wasn't enough information reading the above posted messages. So all of us were actually speculating. And frankly I'm the only one who actually gave you some live information (albeit not what you wanted to read). Whether or not it would hold up in your case or not I haven't a clue but the research was done on your behalf and not mine. :-|
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 05 Feb 2008 12:36 am

sprite, your really do have a problem you know? :roll:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

TAJ
Regular
Regular

Post by TAJ » Tue, 05 Feb 2008 12:42 am

Hey, time to chill out. I have read lots of posts and replies and I am sure that SMS is not a grumpy old man!! The guy booking the hotel needs to do his research thoroughly, no need to start a fight on a Monday evening?!

Lyndan

Post by Lyndan » Tue, 05 Feb 2008 3:58 pm

The manager from the online reservations company called me just now and said they are going to honour the price I was quoted on my confirmation and apologed for just issuing the new confirmation at the increased price.

Thats again for all your help everyone. Next time ill be sure to wear a bullet proof vest when asking a question just for those who jump the gun a little! :roll:

familyof5
Chatter
Chatter

Post by familyof5 » Tue, 05 Feb 2008 4:09 pm

good for you Lyndan. enjoy your holiday.

sprite
Chatter
Chatter

Post by sprite » Wed, 06 Feb 2008 3:27 pm

Lyndan wrote:The manager from the online reservations company called me just now and said they are going to honour the price I was quoted on my confirmation and apologed for just issuing the new confirmation at the increased price.

Thats again for all your help everyone. Next time ill be sure to wear a bullet proof vest when asking a question just for those who jump the gun a little! :roll:
Thank goodness this was all settled! Hope you have a great trip, please give us a report on the hotel when you return.

hamamatsu1999

Post by hamamatsu1999 » Fri, 08 Feb 2008 4:57 pm

Just for everyone's reference.

http://www.singaporelaw.sg/rss/judg/30117.html

An interesting case

jpatokal

Post by jpatokal » Sat, 09 Feb 2008 12:46 am

hamamatsu1999 wrote:Just for everyone's reference.

http://www.singaporelaw.sg/rss/judg/30117.html

An interesting case
...but I'd hesitate to draw too many parallels:

In the early hours of the morning of 13 January 2003, six friends, the plaintiffs in this case, placed orders over the Internet for 1,606 sophisticated Hewlett Packard commercial laser printers (“the laser printer(s)”
Vaguely heretical thoughts on travel technology at Gyrovague