Singapore Expats

Who would you like to meet?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
bushbride
Regular
Regular

Post by bushbride » Tue, 30 May 2006 11:47 am

These are great!

It makes me think that we have a lot of ‘old school’ music lovers, renaissance art lovers and writers, political icons, and hot bod lovers (of course!) in this forum.

On the ‘hot bods’ - no one mentioned the Hoff or Angelina Jolie?!
- Life is pretty simple: You do some stuff. Most fails. Some works. Da Vinci -

icedragon1420
Regular
Regular

Post by icedragon1420 » Tue, 30 May 2006 11:50 am

Strange one I'd like to meet myself guess you never really know how you actually are to other people.Also I have had the pleasure of meeting Nelson mandela i was still on high school and fortunatly a nerd as i was head of the school student council and our school was up the road from the presidents office.This was during the time he was president.Very enlighting experience as his has sharp wit and just oozes out hope.Now that im older the value of the experience is worth far more. :)
If time is money and money is time then where can i buy some?

bushbride
Regular
Regular

Post by bushbride » Tue, 30 May 2006 11:56 am

icedragon1420 wrote:Strange one I'd like to meet myself guess you never really know how you actually are to other people.Also I have had the pleasure of meeting Nelson mandela i was still on high school and fortunatly a nerd as i was head of the school student council and our school was up the road from the presidents office.This was during the time he was president.Very enlighting experience as his has sharp wit and just oozes out hope.Now that im older the value of the experience is worth far more. :)
Mandella - I am in envy of you icedragon!

What an interesting thing to want to meet yourself! It would be cool too meet my younger self and have a little heart to heart. I'd tell myself not to listen when people say 'you cannot do' something. :)

But, what happens icedragon if you get into an argument with yourself? I know I hate having arguments with myself because I never win! :D

icedragon1420
Regular
Regular

Post by icedragon1420 » Tue, 30 May 2006 12:16 pm

I would look at it its differently if i argued with myself there would be no way I could lose right? :P
If time is money and money is time then where can i buy some?

Baron Greenback
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Baron Greenback » Tue, 30 May 2006 12:19 pm

I'd quite like to meet myself, I wonder if we would get on.

Probably not :(
"An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools."
Hemingway

madwolfie
Manager
Manager

Post by madwolfie » Tue, 30 May 2006 12:23 pm

There are a few others that resides in my head... will like to meet them :)

bushbride
Regular
Regular

Post by bushbride » Tue, 30 May 2006 12:37 pm

icedragon1420 wrote:I would look at it its differently if i argued with myself there would be no way I could lose right? :P
Ok. That's what most people would think. But, when I get into an argument with myself, I ultimately allow myself to win by reaching some conclusion. Therefore, if you allow yourself to win have you actually won?

Baron, you are a very likable person. I am sure that you would get on with yourself (oh dear that didn't sound quite right) :lol:

Baron Greenback
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Baron Greenback » Tue, 30 May 2006 3:46 pm

I am sure if you met some of the great achievers from history it might be quite a let down.

Alexander Flemming for example - only discovered penicillin as he went on holiday & left the washing up in his lab in the sink, to return 2 weeks later & find mould - hey presto penicillin. You might find out that he had really bad personal hygiene :?

Meeting people who you fancy or admire might set them too high on a pedestal & you might just be disappointed. Perhaps it would be more interesting to meet some of the more notorious historical figures.

Hitler is too obvious, perhaps Pontius Pilate, Nero (now he was a nasty piece of work), Cain & Abel, Henry VIII and so on.

Or maybe some famous 2nds in history whose lives were overshadowed by those who came 1st. Now I bet they have some venomous stories to tell. Micheal Collins - wasn't he the guy that went to the moon but never got out to walk about with Neil & Buzz? I bet he hates those 2 for getting all the lime light, he probably has some great stories of Neil crying in his sleep, or Buzz wetting himself on take off. (f they ever went of course :wink: )
"An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools."
Hemingway

Loops
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Loops » Tue, 30 May 2006 11:16 pm

(f they ever went of course )

hmmm, yes, I was talking about that with my husband the other day and I'm beginning to wonder!

I'd like to meet some people from my past. I used to be a big fan of a band call the Icicle Works (who I imagine most of you have never even heard of) but I'd like to meet their lead singer who I used to have a big crush on and see if the crush is still there now he's in his 40s!

I'd like to meet Daniel Craig because I went to primary school with him and I'd love to have a chat with him about how his life is going.

Also some big celebs - people like Angelina Jolie and find out if she really is crazy. Marylin Monroe would be a good one and Cary Grant too.

Thomas Hardy and Charles Dickens too - I think they'd be worth chatting with.

I'd also like to meet myself when I was about 19 or 20 and give myself a slap and try and stop me from going off the rails.........although I have to admit, there were some fun times!

Robbie Williams - I'm not a big fan, but I quite like the guy, he seems like the sort of person who would be interesting to have a chat to.

Judd Nelson (used to fancy the pants off him when he was in Breakfast Club!)

Nobody particularly deep or meaningful - I'm far too shallow :D

If I did ever meet these people it would ideally be in a bar or something informal - not in a big crowd.