Singapore Expats

Stupid news articles

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
jalanjalan
Chatter
Chatter
Answers: 2

Re: Stupid news articles

Post by jalanjalan » Thu, 25 May 2023 9:33 pm

Lisafuller wrote:
Thu, 25 May 2023 6:24 pm
Agree that feelings and sentiments will change based on one's personal preferences and aspirations. You can't be jealous of something that you don't want.

That being said, I believe you've missed my point. If our government is supposed to be filled with commoners like us, then why aren't they living like us? 7000 ft.² is already about seven times the size of a average home in the country, but 70,000? That's crazy.
Oh I get your point, I just don't agree with it. I sincerely don't care if they live in a solid gold mansion, so long as they came by their wealth honestly and do their work faithfully.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Post by Lisafuller » Thu, 25 May 2023 11:11 pm

jalanjalan wrote:
Thu, 25 May 2023 9:33 pm
Lisafuller wrote:
Thu, 25 May 2023 6:24 pm
Agree that feelings and sentiments will change based on one's personal preferences and aspirations. You can't be jealous of something that you don't want.

That being said, I believe you've missed my point. If our government is supposed to be filled with commoners like us, then why aren't they living like us? 7000 ft.² is already about seven times the size of a average home in the country, but 70,000? That's crazy.
Oh I get your point, I just don't agree with it. I sincerely don't care if they live in a solid gold mansion, so long as they came by their wealth honestly and do their work faithfully.
Well, agree to disagree.

smoulder
Editor
Editor

Post by smoulder » Fri, 26 May 2023 11:55 am

Lisafuller wrote:
Wed, 24 May 2023 10:40 pm
jalanjalan wrote:
Tue, 23 May 2023 11:07 pm
Lisafuller wrote:
Tue, 23 May 2023 4:48 pm
Actually, upon reading a little deeper into the issue, I believe the problem some members of the public have isn't about whether or not the properties were rented legally, but more about how the ministers are able to afford them at all if they're supposed to be making the salaries of public servants, and on the same note, why they would choose these properties if they are supposed to be living among the people.
Most comments just sound like green-eyed envy to me. :mrgreen:
Ridout is next to HDB actually - I used to live across the street from that cute McDonalds tea garden.
I believe that is what contributes to a lot of the publics anger. They live right next to HDBs, where people are living in shoeboxes, while they live minutes away in mansions on plots of land large enough to be re-developed into a whole block of units.
That's life. Someone can afford to live in a king size mansion whereas most people will live in small middle class apartments. Tough titty.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Fri, 26 May 2023 9:24 pm

smoulder wrote:
Fri, 26 May 2023 11:55 am
Lisafuller wrote:
Wed, 24 May 2023 10:40 pm
jalanjalan wrote:
Tue, 23 May 2023 11:07 pm

Most comments just sound like green-eyed envy to me. :mrgreen:
Ridout is next to HDB actually - I used to live across the street from that cute McDonalds tea garden.
I believe that is what contributes to a lot of the publics anger. They live right next to HDBs, where people are living in shoeboxes, while they live minutes away in mansions on plots of land large enough to be re-developed into a whole block of units.
That's life. Someone can afford to live in a king size mansion whereas most people will live in small middle class apartments. Tough titty.
And some will live in a drain - did you see the article about the man who was found living in the sewer along Hume Avenue?

malcontent
Manager
Manager
Answers: 8

Post by malcontent » Sat, 27 May 2023 2:23 am

If anyone is “angry” about how the better offs live… that’s the kind of small mindedness that is keeping ‘em poor.

It’s called crab mentality in the Philippines, apparently when you put a bunch of crabs in a bucket and any one of them starts to get away, the other crabs pull it back in — so in the end, all of the crabs stay trapped in the bucket.
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Sat, 27 May 2023 3:10 am

malcontent wrote:
Sat, 27 May 2023 2:23 am
If anyone is “angry” about how the better offs live… that’s the kind of small mindedness that is keeping ‘em poor.

It’s called crab mentality in the Philippines, apparently when you put a bunch of crabs in a bucket and any one of them starts to get away, the other crabs pull it back in — so in the end, all of the crabs stay trapped in the bucket.
True. Most of those who are angry about how well others live are not taking the right steps to improve their own lives. Which is why when you pop in to the singapore pools booths, you more or less see the same kind of people - squandering their money, hoping that they get their big break.

jalanjalan
Chatter
Chatter
Answers: 2

Post by jalanjalan » Sat, 27 May 2023 11:40 am

malcontent wrote:

locally known as "Sinkie pwn Sinkie"
(things I learn on edmw)

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Sat, 27 May 2023 11:07 pm

Pwn?

smoulder
Editor
Editor

Post by smoulder » Sun, 28 May 2023 1:47 am

Lisafuller wrote:
Sat, 27 May 2023 11:07 pm
Pwn?
Internet lingo since 1920 lol.... Deliberately misspelled version of "own"

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sun, 28 May 2023 9:08 am

Lisafuller wrote:
Sat, 27 May 2023 3:10 am
malcontent wrote:

True. Most of those who are angry about how well others live are not taking the right steps to improve their own lives. Which is why when you pop in to the singapore pools booths, you more or less see the same kind of people - squandering their money, hoping that they get their big break.
I think it may be actually worse than that. It is not that they are particularly unhappy with what they have. They are unhappy because others have more. My neighbor has a brand new Ferrari so if it happens there is a gold fish around granting me 1 wish the wish is not going to be, I want such Ferrari, but rather than that, I want my neighbor's Ferrari to disappear :)

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Sun, 28 May 2023 4:40 pm

x9200 wrote:
Sun, 28 May 2023 9:08 am
Lisafuller wrote:
Sat, 27 May 2023 3:10 am
malcontent wrote:

I think it may be actually worse than that. It is not that they are particularly unhappy with what they have. They are unhappy because others have more. My neighbor has a brand new Ferrari so if it happens there is a gold fish around granting me 1 wish the wish is not going to be, I want such Ferrari, but rather than that, I want my neighbor's Ferrari to disappear :)
"Comparison is the thief of joy".

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Sun, 28 May 2023 4:41 pm

smoulder wrote:
Sun, 28 May 2023 1:47 am
Lisafuller wrote:
Sat, 27 May 2023 11:07 pm
Pwn?
Internet lingo since 1920 lol.... Deliberately misspelled version of "own"
Ah, from Urban Dictionary,

"PWN (verb)

1. An act of dominating an opponent.

2. Great, ingenious; applied to methods and objects."

tiktok
Reporter
Reporter

Post by tiktok » Wed, 31 May 2023 2:56 pm

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/asia/ma ... st-3525066

Headline: Malaysian girl hospitalised after eating cannabis-laced biscuits, dad arrested

OMG this is exactly the dangers we have been warned about! This dangerous narcotic is killing children. We are so lucky that we hang people who try to bring in this drug to our safe clean country.

Yes, these will be the thoughts of the average PAP supporter. But let's look at the facts:

- The biscuits have not been tested for cannabis
- The girl has not been tested to see if she consumed cannabis
- The father tested positive for cannabis

It's a pretty amazing feat of logic to get from these facts to "cannabis-laced biscuits".

After the sensational and misleading headline, CNA closes the article with the advice "not to make any speculations about the case". Too bad they didn't follow this advice.
I not troll/wacko/spammer.
Me no expat. Me foreigner.

smoulder
Editor
Editor

Post by smoulder » Wed, 31 May 2023 4:36 pm

tiktok wrote:
Wed, 31 May 2023 2:56 pm
https://www.channelnewsasia.com/asia/ma ... st-3525066

Headline: Malaysian girl hospitalised after eating cannabis-laced biscuits, dad arrested

OMG this is exactly the dangers we have been warned about! This dangerous narcotic is killing children. We are so lucky that we hang people who try to bring in this drug to our safe clean country.

Yes, these will be the thoughts of the average PAP supporter. But let's look at the facts:

- The biscuits have not been tested for cannabis
- The girl has not been tested to see if she consumed cannabis
- The father tested positive for cannabis

It's a pretty amazing feat of logic to get from these facts to "cannabis-laced biscuits".

After the sensational and misleading headline, CNA closes the article with the advice "not to make any speculations about the case". Too bad they didn't follow this advice.
It is a copy of the same article doing the rounds in the Malaysian media. Word for word.

The highlighted portion - the reading comprehension is not very strong here. Either that or you deliberately chose to twist the facts to suit your narrative. Hint - they quoted the Perak police chief, it's not CNA telling you that. Big difference.

tiktok
Reporter
Reporter

Post by tiktok » Wed, 31 May 2023 4:45 pm

If you read what I wrote carefully, I do not say that CNA provided the advice, only that they closed off the article with that advice. Yes it implies slightly that they gave the advice, just as every word they print implies it has their editorial approval.

Either way it's a ridiculous article.
I not troll/wacko/spammer.
Me no expat. Me foreigner.