Singapore Expats

What are you all doing when restrictions are lifted?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

What are you all doing when restrictions are lifted?

Post by Lisafuller » Sun, 24 Apr 2022 11:43 pm

2 days to the 26th… what are you all looking to get up to when the time comes? I’m looking forward to taking full advantage of the no pax limit, maybe throw a party or go see a concert.

abbby
Manager
Manager
Answers: 2

Re: What are you all doing when restrictions are lifted?

Post by abbby » Mon, 25 Apr 2022 9:45 am

Actually am still in smaller setting with close friends and family...just so used to it..
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made. - Groucho Marx (1890-1977)

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 25 Apr 2022 5:51 pm

After 20 years of living with 8 adults and one small child in my house we now down to 2 & helper. I like having the peace and quiet. Not changing much of anything thing. I would like to go to the US for a while but that can wait until thing prove to be better.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Mon, 25 Apr 2022 10:32 pm

abbby wrote:
Mon, 25 Apr 2022 9:45 am
Actually am still in smaller setting with close friends and family...just so used to it..
Well, restrictions haven’t been lifted yet, so no doubt you’d still be in small groups. Honestly, it’s been so long since I’ve been around a big group of people that I don’t even remember what it feels like.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Mon, 25 Apr 2022 10:34 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Mon, 25 Apr 2022 5:51 pm
After 20 years of living with 8 adults and one small child in my house we now down to 2 & helper. I like having the peace and quiet. Not changing much of anything thing. I would like to go to the US for a while but that can wait until thing prove to be better.
8??? How did that work? You + your wife, 6 kids? I haven’t been back to the US since 2019, hope to take a trip back soon, maybe in June when my daughter is done with her internship. Will be a much needed break for all of us.

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Tue, 26 Apr 2022 12:06 am

I have a holiday planned in Jun to India, after 2 and half years. I was waiting for all restrictions to be lifted and now that they have been lifted, I am hoping to be able to travel with peace. I hope no more new variants or lockdowns. Touchwood.

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Tue, 26 Apr 2022 12:09 am

Lisafuller wrote:
Mon, 25 Apr 2022 10:34 pm
8??? How did that work? You + your wife, 6 kids? I haven’t been back to the US since 2019, hope to take a trip back soon, maybe in June when my daughter is done with her internship. Will be a much needed break for all of us.
Better book your flight tickets soon. I got my tickets pretty cheap on SQ for my trip to India when I booked in early Apr. I noticed, prices kept climbing and now they are already double the price at which I booked.

We are finally opening up and Jun is school holidays and everyone would want to travel and get out of this island.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 26 Apr 2022 1:41 am

Lisafuller wrote:
From 1988 to 1991 I work for the US Refugee program under the auspices of UNHCR resettling VN Boat People throughout SE Asia refugee camps. I guess when I finished that, and eventually bought this flat, the most useless of the extended in-laws (wife's siblings, parents, Nieces, Nephews and grand niece all thought I was still in the refugee or halfway house business and my wife always pictured herself as Mother Teresa and as they were her rellies (and she was the eldest of 7 children), what to do. It was like a zoo here most of the time.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

smoulder
Editor
Editor

Post by smoulder » Tue, 26 Apr 2022 1:49 am

Tue, 26 Apr 2022 1:41 am
Lisafuller wrote:
From 1988 to 1991 I work for the US Refugee program under the auspices of UNHCR resettling VN Boat People throughout SE Asia refugee camps. I guess when I finished that, and eventually bought this flat, the most useless of the extended in-laws (wife's siblings, parents, Nieces, Nephews and grand niece all thought I was still in the refugee or halfway house business and my wife always pictured herself as Mother Teresa and as they were her rellies (and she was the eldest of 7 children), what to do. It was like a zoo here most of the time.
This sounds so much like my ex wife's mother. We didn't have people staying over but we had a whole village "borrowing" (never returned of course) money from us ("me"). I'm surprised that you kept it together, because it drove me nuts and was a big reason why we split up.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 26 Apr 2022 1:58 am

I am nuts. Most here already swear I am. And yes, I've threatened but when the house/flat has her name first on the title (HDB) even though I paid for it, I can't afford to throw it all away. No more working life left to speak of at 74. HBP is kept in check with plenty of drugs. (and yes, I was the extended family banker as well so I know where you are coming from on that front!) Of course they never pay it back either thinking I will understand.

Addadude
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Addadude » Tue, 26 Apr 2022 10:43 am

smoulder wrote:
Tue, 26 Apr 2022 1:49 am
This sounds so much like my ex wife's mother. We didn't have people staying over but we had a whole village "borrowing" (never returned of course) money from us ("me"). I'm surprised that you kept it together, because it drove me nuts and was a big reason why we split up.
I am fortunate in that my wife is highly protective of me in this regard and manages such expectations from her family members very bluntly.
"Both politicians and nappies need to be changed regularly, and for the same reasons."

bro75
Reporter
Reporter

Post by bro75 » Tue, 26 Apr 2022 11:46 am

I am also traveling in June. Just a quick trip for errands and to visit parents. Otherwise, there is no change in my life for now.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Tue, 26 Apr 2022 11:05 pm

Wd40 wrote:
Tue, 26 Apr 2022 12:06 am
I have a holiday planned in Jun to India, after 2 and half years. I was waiting for all restrictions to be lifted and now that they have been lifted, I am hoping to be able to travel with peace. I hope no more new variants or lockdowns. Touchwood.
Sounds awesome. For the whole family? How long are you planning to be gone?

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Tue, 26 Apr 2022 11:06 pm

Wd40 wrote:
Tue, 26 Apr 2022 12:09 am
Lisafuller wrote:
Better book your flight tickets soon. I got my tickets pretty cheap on SQ for my trip to India when I booked in early Apr. I noticed, prices kept climbing and now they are already double the price at which I booked.

We are finally opening up and Jun is school holidays and everyone would want to travel and get out of this island.
Unfortunately, I don’t have the privilege to book in advance because my daughter’s schedule is still a mess for now, will only know the exact days that we can leave closer to June.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Tue, 26 Apr 2022 11:07 pm

Tue, 26 Apr 2022 1:41 am
Lisafuller wrote:
Goodness! Your wife sounds like a saint, I could never have distant relatives hanging around all the time (as much as I love family, I need my space).