Singapore Expats

Mass exodus

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
local lad
Chatter
Chatter

Mass exodus

Post by local lad » Tue, 05 Apr 2022 4:22 pm

HI,

Since the garmen is tightening of foreigners applying/ renewing for EP /S Pass by raising the salary bar, will there be an exodus of expats leaving , like what HK is experiencing now?

smoulder
Editor
Editor

Re: Mass exodus

Post by smoulder » Tue, 05 Apr 2022 5:25 pm

It's not future tense. It has already been happening.

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Fri, 08 Apr 2022 6:53 pm

smoulder wrote:
Tue, 05 Apr 2022 5:25 pm
I dont know man, the whole world has a lot of sh!thole countries with very talented people in them and Singapore will always by attractive to those people. I see no problem with Singapore attracting talent. Especially look at hong kong what a crappy place it has become. What alternative do you have in Asia now? I wish someone told me this when I came to SG in 2009, I would have begged borrowed stealed and bought a condo then.

smoulder
Editor
Editor

Post by smoulder » Fri, 08 Apr 2022 7:47 pm

Wd40 wrote:
Fri, 08 Apr 2022 6:53 pm
smoulder wrote:
I dont know man, the whole world has a lot of sh!thole countries with very talented people in them and Singapore will always by attractive to those people. I see no problem with Singapore attracting talent. Especially look at hong kong what a crappy place it has become. What alternative do you have in Asia now? I wish someone told me this when I came to SG in 2009, I would have begged borrowed stealed and bought a condo then.
Singapore is quite attractive to many still, most notably all those sh!thole countries you reference. I don't think that's the issue. Rather, it seems that people are being shut out.

Which is why, these stats are coming out.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... utive-year

malcontent
Manager
Manager
Answers: 8

Post by malcontent » Fri, 08 Apr 2022 9:31 pm

Populist sentiments will always drive a nation toward mediocracy, away from meritocracy.

In the past, they were always a clear eyed about this and would do what is right over what is popular. That seems to be ebbing away.
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Fri, 08 Apr 2022 10:56 pm

smoulder wrote:
Fri, 08 Apr 2022 7:47 pm
Wd40 wrote:
smoulder wrote:
Singapore is quite attractive to many still, most notably all those sh!thole countries you reference. I don't think that's the issue. Rather, it seems that people are being shut out.

Already rents are going through the roof. I have colleagues in my office renting Melville park 2bedroom for 2.5k and the owner expects 3.5k upon renewal and he has 20 people viewing the house and people jumping on top of each other to secure the house. So, I think Singapore doesnt even have the capacity right now for any surge of expats. The construction shortfall, Malaysian workers preferring to rent in SG and young Singaporeans moving out of their parents house to their own inorder to work from home, all these factor have caused a massive housing shortage. It is pretty ugly out there.

malcontent
Manager
Manager

Post by malcontent » Sat, 09 Apr 2022 12:30 am

Wd40 wrote:
Fri, 08 Apr 2022 10:56 pm
smoulder wrote:
Fri, 08 Apr 2022 7:47 pm
Wd40 wrote:

Already rents are going through the roof. I have colleagues in my office renting Melville park 2bedroom for 2.5k and the owner expects 3.5k upon renewal and he has 20 people viewing the house and people jumping on top of each other to secure the house. So, I think Singapore doesnt even have the capacity right now for any surge of expats. The construction shortfall, Malaysian workers preferring to rent in SG and young Singaporeans moving out of their parents house to their own inorder to work from home, all these factor have caused a massive housing shortage. It is pretty ugly out there.
Well said - with so many working from home, more space is needed to cope. My colleagues overseas can’t understand why it’s such a challenge here when they have spare bedrooms, an extra study or even a full fledged home office!

I’m constantly getting kicked out from one room to the next.
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 11 Apr 2022 9:04 am

There is zero reason for Europeans or Americans to move this short sighted country run by anal power hungry idiots.

Having just come back from Europe this place is the shits.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

jwoods1864
Regular
Regular

Post by jwoods1864 » Mon, 11 Apr 2022 9:43 am

PNGMK wrote:There is zero reason for Europeans or Americans to move this short sighted country run by anal power hungry idiots.

Having just come back from Europe this place is the shits.
While a lot of the West was going to shit in 2020 I was quite thankful to be in Singapore. However, I think the tides turned from early 2021!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

malcontent
Manager
Manager

Post by malcontent » Mon, 11 Apr 2022 12:35 pm

Well…. why don’t you tell us how you really feel!!??

:lol: 8-) :cool:

tiktok
Reporter
Reporter

Post by tiktok » Mon, 11 Apr 2022 2:24 pm

Reasons to dislike Singapore:
- Soft dictatorship
- Nepotism, greed and cronyism in the government
- Nanny state, surveillance, excessive rules
- Too hot, no seasons
- Expensive alcohol and tobacco
- Expensive cars
- Expensive real estate, or simply forbidden from buying
- Crap natural environment, hiking, beaches etc.
- No arts scene
- Education system produces robots
- Opaque and racist PR policy
- Insignificant history and culture
- Decades behind with recycling
- Cannabis is illegal, severe penalties for drug use
- Capital punishment

Reasons to like Singapore:
- Food
- Pretty women
- Low income taxes (but you pay in other ways)
I not troll/wacko/spammer.
Me no expat. Me foreigner.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 11 Apr 2022 2:59 pm

Pfft plenty of prettier women elsewhere.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

malcontent
Manager
Manager

Post by malcontent » Tue, 12 Apr 2022 1:43 am

I may be in the minority, but the weather is my top plus here. I grew up in a place that had up to 5 months of freezing weather each year. I still appreciate the endless summer, even after 27 years.

My biggest minus… it’s not just cost of living, but what you get for your money here… it can feel like a slap in the face! I’ve come to accept paying through the nose even when it’s absurd and makes no sense, but I still find it insulting.

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Wed, 13 Apr 2022 12:18 am

I just feel there is all around mediocrity at workplaces here, which makes it easy to survive here if you are even average. I have worked with people in the US, Western Europe and Eastern Europe and the quality there is top notch. Average people like me have no chance over there. That is why I am stuck here. Kind of bird in hand situation. Too lazy to upskill and compete with the best in US or Europe.

I mean in Europe and US, most innovative companies have already moved to remote working. There all that matters is output. While here managers are just eager to see the asses of their employees back in office. What you do doesnt matter, it is all about posturing here.

malcontent
Manager
Manager

Post by malcontent » Wed, 13 Apr 2022 12:46 am

Wd40 wrote:
Wed, 13 Apr 2022 12:18 am
I just feel there is all around mediocrity at workplaces here, which makes it easy to survive here if you are even average. I have worked with people in the US, Western Europe and Eastern Europe and the quality there is top notch. Average people like me have no chance over there. That is why I am stuck here. Kind of bird in hand situation. Too lazy to upskill and compete with the best in US or Europe.

I mean in Europe and US, most innovative companies have already moved to remote working. There all that matters is output. While here managers are just eager to see the asses of their employees back in office. What you do doesnt matter, it is all about posturing here.
Yep, I have had to retrain some local employees here who thought it was necessary to put on the “I’m so busy” routine. I told them, there are times when you really will be busy, so don’t feel guilty about the times you are not — knock off early, enjoy yourself while you can, because there will be times you have to put in extra hours because of a genuine need. I also told them, if you are too busy all the time, it is a real concern and we will need to take a closer look at your work to figure out how things can be done differently to improve efficiency. I also lead by example and do the same thing with my time. I can definitely see the results, they are happier in their job, more focused on results and feel like they can be honest with me because my expectations are clear.

Return to “General Discussions”