Singapore Expats

Noisy koel birds disturbing my sleep

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
abbby
Manager
Manager
Answers: 2

Noisy koel birds disturbing my sleep

Post by abbby » Sun, 05 Dec 2021 11:21 am

My old place has this irritating koel birds making a lot of noise in the wee hours of the morning, in my new place, it's also here...and wakes me in the wee hours again...can't they just rid themselves?? They're such a pest with their irritating noises and they seem not to migrate...
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made. - Groucho Marx (1890-1977)

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: Noisy koel birds disturbing my sleep

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 05 Dec 2021 8:07 pm

I've lived with them for the past 38 years, first in Seletar Camp and now in my HDB Flat which fronts a park (perfect place for them). I don't even hear them anymore and I don't use Aircon so my window are always open unless it raining from both sides at once. To me they are just "white" noise. And no, Koel are not migratory birds.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

malcontent
Manager
Manager
Answers: 8

Post by malcontent » Mon, 06 Dec 2021 12:09 am

My wife doesn’t like to hear the creatures of the night but I find it really comforting and it actually helps me get to sleep.

I grew up in the country, so summer nights were spent falling asleep with the windows open and the toads croaking in the distance.

However, in recent years we’ve had more and more wild chickens around our condo and the roosters mistake the street lights for the sun coming up at 2am… that can be a little annoying, have to admit.
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 06 Dec 2021 1:32 am

I've got the perfect curry pot for those critters if you can catch 'em!
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

abbby
Manager
Manager
Answers: 2

Post by abbby » Mon, 06 Dec 2021 9:39 am

How do you guys sleep with its noise...i find it extremely annoying to be woken up by their 'alarm clocks' at 6-7am...drives me crazy..
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made. - Groucho Marx (1890-1977)

smoulder
Editor
Editor

Post by smoulder » Mon, 06 Dec 2021 11:10 am

abbby wrote:
Mon, 06 Dec 2021 9:39 am
How do you guys sleep with its noise...i find it extremely annoying to be woken up by their 'alarm clocks' at 6-7am...drives me crazy..
I have an angry bird (nearly 2 year old toddler) who wakes me up at least once or twice a night. I use 10mg of melatonin to ensure that I get a half decent sleep despite the disruptions.

JWNYsg
Regular
Regular

Post by JWNYsg » Sat, 25 Dec 2021 9:29 am

Cook them 🙊

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Post by Lisafuller » Sun, 26 Dec 2021 1:52 am

abbby wrote:
Sun, 05 Dec 2021 11:21 am
My old place has this irritating koel birds making a lot of noise in the wee hours of the morning, in my new place, it's also here...and wakes me in the wee hours again...can't they just rid themselves?? They're such a pest with their irritating noises and they seem not to migrate...
The worst part is you can’t do anything to shut them up, seems like they are the most chirpy when I am in need of the most rest, so annoying.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Sun, 26 Dec 2021 1:54 am

malcontent wrote:
Mon, 06 Dec 2021 12:09 am
My wife doesn’t like to hear the creatures of the night but I find it really comforting and it actually helps me get to sleep.

I grew up in the country, so summer nights were spent falling asleep with the windows open and the toads croaking in the distance.

However, in recent years we’ve had more and more wild chickens around our condo and the roosters mistake the street lights for the sun coming up at 2am… that can be a little annoying, have to admit.
Same here! There are roosters on the grounds of the condo that start making noise early in the morning. Not sure how they got here or if they are owned by any resident, although I don’t see how they could have gotten in on their own as this is a fully gated property. Perhaps they came through the Bukit Timah Nature reserve somehow (the condo is somewhat connected through the forest).

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Sun, 26 Dec 2021 1:57 am

abbby wrote:
I close all my windows and blast the Aircon but sometimes even this is not enough, have to resort to playing white noise. Funny how the white noise you choose to play doesn’t bother you but the noise you don’t choose does.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Sun, 26 Dec 2021 1:59 am

smoulder wrote:
Mon, 06 Dec 2021 11:10 am
abbby wrote:
I have an angry bird (nearly 2 year old toddler) who wakes me up at least once or twice a night. I use 10mg of melatonin to ensure that I get a half decent sleep despite the disruptions.
I’ve never tried melatonin, is it really effective? Some days I like to have a bit of chamomile tea, not sure if it works, sometimes I almost feel like it keeps me up!

malcontent
Manager
Manager
Answers: 8

Post by malcontent » Sun, 26 Dec 2021 9:48 am

Lisafuller wrote:
Sun, 26 Dec 2021 1:59 am
smoulder wrote:
abbby wrote:
I’ve never tried melatonin, is it really effective? Some days I like to have a bit of chamomile tea, not sure if it works, sometimes I almost feel like it keeps me up!
I would be careful with melatonin. It’s something your body produces naturally, but you don’t want to mess with nature too much. At least that is what I read.

The only time I take sleep aids is when I have an early morning flight and need to sleep early the night before, which is incredibly hard for me to do since I’m a night owl.

My sleep aids are usually simple, cheap over the counter ones I buy in the US or I just take NyQuil which has the same ingredient. Unfortunately these have now all expired, and I don’t believe they sell OTC sleep aids here. Maybe I’ll need to get a prescription.
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

smoulder
Editor
Editor

Post by smoulder » Sun, 26 Dec 2021 11:06 am

malcontent wrote:
Sun, 26 Dec 2021 9:48 am
Lisafuller wrote:
smoulder wrote:

I would be careful with melatonin. It’s something your body produces naturally, but you don’t want to mess with nature too much. At least that is what I read.

The only time I take sleep aids is when I have an early morning flight and need to sleep early the night before, which is incredibly hard for me to do since I’m a night owl.

My sleep aids are usually simple, cheap over the counter ones I buy in the US or I just take NyQuil which has the same ingredient. Unfortunately these have now all expired, and I don’t believe they sell OTC sleep aids here. Maybe I’ll need to get a prescription.
Melatonin doesn't need a prescription. You can get it in GNC, although I usually buy it online at iHerb.
Lisafuller wrote:

It is pretty effective. I started out using it because I switched to working out /jogging at 10pm (baby reasons). Because of the timing, I had to intake caffeine prior to working out or I'd just feel really beaten up. So that's when I started taking melatonin to be able to sleep post workout. Unfortunately, since my daughter is a problem feeder who doesn't eat enough solid food, she wakes us up 1 or 2 times in the night. So now unfortunately, I've been taking melatonin daily. It's either try to be natural end up with sleeping issues or get nearly average sleep.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Mon, 27 Dec 2021 2:59 am

malcontent wrote:
Lisafuller wrote:
smoulder wrote:

I wouldn’t be taking it regularly, just some nights when I really can’t sleep. Some days I’m up till 6am… pretty bad.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Mon, 27 Dec 2021 3:00 am

smoulder wrote:
Sun, 26 Dec 2021 11:06 am
malcontent wrote:
Lisafuller wrote:

Melatonin doesn't need a prescription. You can get it in GNC, although I usually buy it online at iHerb.
Lisafuller wrote:

It is pretty effective. I started out using it because I switched to working out /jogging at 10pm (baby reasons). Because of the timing, I had to intake caffeine prior to working out or I'd just feel really beaten up. So that's when I started taking melatonin to be able to sleep post workout. Unfortunately, since my daughter is a problem feeder who doesn't eat enough solid food, she wakes us up 1 or 2 times in the night. So now unfortunately, I've been taking melatonin daily. It's either try to be natural end up with sleeping issues or get nearly average sleep.
Sacrifices of a parent… if I were in your shoes would probably do the same thing. Can’t function well without sleep.