New South African COVID Variant

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
Post Reply
Lisafuller
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2000
Joined: Sat, 07 Nov 2020 11:45 pm
Answers: 2

New South African COVID Variant

Post by Lisafuller » Sun, 28 Nov 2021 6:12 am

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/world/c ... on-2340746

Terrifying, seems like we can’t catch a break.

User avatar
abbby
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1546
Joined: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 3:00 am
Answers: 2
Location: Tiny Island

Re: New South African COVID Variant

Post by abbby » Sun, 28 Nov 2021 6:19 pm

yes so worrying..like a never ending cycle..and now Sydney's got their first 2 cases of the new variant from travellers from S Africa...
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made. - Groucho Marx (1890-1977)

Lisafuller
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2000
Joined: Sat, 07 Nov 2020 11:45 pm
Answers: 2

Re: New South African COVID Variant

Post by Lisafuller » Mon, 29 Nov 2021 3:10 am

abbby wrote:
Sun, 28 Nov 2021 6:19 pm
yes so worrying..like a never ending cycle..and now Sydney's got their first 2 cases of the new variant from travellers from S Africa...
Exactly, seems like every time we get close to properly managing the situation and moving towards a new normal, we regress further.

Myasis Dragon
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 401
Joined: Wed, 05 Feb 2020 7:13 am
Answers: 3

Re: New South African COVID Variant

Post by Myasis Dragon » Mon, 29 Nov 2021 6:04 am

Two reasons. Anti-vaxxers of every stripe make it hard to reach a high enough level of herd immunity. And rich countries that are too cheap to provide vaccines to poor countries ensure that there will be vast reservoirs of Covid, just waiting to mutate into the rest of the global population.

BBCDoc
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 419
Joined: Tue, 05 Oct 2010 11:21 pm
Location: Singapore

Re: New South African COVID Variant

Post by BBCDoc » Mon, 29 Nov 2021 7:04 am

Myasis Dragon wrote:Two reasons. Anti-vaxxers of every stripe make it hard to reach a high enough level of herd immunity. And rich countries that are too cheap to provide vaccines to poor countries ensure that there will be vast reservoirs of Covid, just waiting to mutate into the rest of the global population.
Thereby ensuring the market for COVID-related products continues to exist….


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There's always room for one more

Lisafuller
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2000
Joined: Sat, 07 Nov 2020 11:45 pm
Answers: 2

Re: New South African COVID Variant

Post by Lisafuller » Tue, 30 Nov 2021 1:34 am

BBCDoc wrote:
Mon, 29 Nov 2021 7:04 am
Myasis Dragon wrote:Two reasons. Anti-vaxxers of every stripe make it hard to reach a high enough level of herd immunity. And rich countries that are too cheap to provide vaccines to poor countries ensure that there will be vast reservoirs of Covid, just waiting to mutate into the rest of the global population.
Thereby ensuring the market for COVID-related products continues to exist….


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Seems like disease is just a playground for the rich. Behind every political/medical issue is an economic one.

Lisafuller
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2000
Joined: Sat, 07 Nov 2020 11:45 pm
Answers: 2

Re: New South African COVID Variant

Post by Lisafuller » Tue, 30 Nov 2021 1:35 am

Myasis Dragon wrote:
Mon, 29 Nov 2021 6:04 am
Two reasons. Anti-vaxxers of every stripe make it hard to reach a high enough level of herd immunity. And rich countries that are too cheap to provide vaccines to poor countries ensure that there will be vast reservoirs of Covid, just waiting to mutate into the rest of the global population.
Makes sense. If governments could get in the ground and make a sincere to help out, I doubt the present situation would be nearly as bad.

BBCDoc
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 419
Joined: Tue, 05 Oct 2010 11:21 pm
Location: Singapore

Re: New South African COVID Variant

Post by BBCDoc » Wed, 01 Dec 2021 6:58 am

Lisafuller wrote:
Myasis Dragon wrote:
Mon, 29 Nov 2021 6:04 am
Two reasons. Anti-vaxxers of every stripe make it hard to reach a high enough level of herd immunity. And rich countries that are too cheap to provide vaccines to poor countries ensure that there will be vast reservoirs of Covid, just waiting to mutate into the rest of the global population.
Makes sense. If governments could get in the ground and make a sincere to help out, I doubt the present situation would be nearly as bad.
Governments just need to step up to mandate vaccination as a serious public health action.

They did it for Smallpox and Polio. With the economic havoc, they should consider for C19.

Anyone know if the government is quantifying linked societal costs beyond unemployment such as mental health, familial stress, suicide…not to mention long term educational impact….

The fallout from letting this drag on will be felt for years…admittedly I was expecting more of a depopulation event for the elderly…it may still happen…


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There's always room for one more

musical box
Member
Member
Posts: 43
Joined: Thu, 20 Feb 2020 3:50 pm

Re: New South African COVID Variant

Post by musical box » Thu, 02 Dec 2021 11:02 am

if Moderna et al say 3rd dose not effective against new variant then we have a problem.

BBCDoc
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 419
Joined: Tue, 05 Oct 2010 11:21 pm
Location: Singapore

Re: New South African COVID Variant

Post by BBCDoc » Thu, 02 Dec 2021 8:08 pm

musical box wrote:if Moderna et al say 3rd dose not effective against new variant then we have a problem.
Moderna and Biontech will be easier to modify against Omicron than any of the other vaccines.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There's always room for one more

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “General Discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 40 guests