Singapore Expats

SCDF ambulances are under strain

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
BBCDoc
Chatter
Chatter

Re: SCDF ambulances are under strain

Post by BBCDoc » Fri, 22 Oct 2021 5:22 pm

malcontent wrote:
PNGMK wrote:
Fri, 22 Oct 2021 11:18 am
It's only recently that Ambulances (and only SCDF) were legally permitted to run red lights.
That is crazy!

I guess that’s why I’ve often heard it said here that getting in a taxi is often a better bet if you need to get to the hospital fast.

US ambulance drivers are all trained to do whatever it takes to get you from point A to point B as quickly and safely as possible. They can drive off the road, jump the curb and drive on the sidewalk if need be. No traffic rules apply, but they still drive safely - using good snap judgements - at least you can be confident that they are doing their utmost and giving you the best shot of saving your life.
US was extremely civilised. Even in and around Baltimore, drivers would pull over to the side to create a lane for the emergency vehicle to run through.

I do joke that sometimes it could be the cops on an urgent donut run….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There's always room for one more

BBCDoc
Chatter
Chatter

Post by BBCDoc » Fri, 22 Oct 2021 5:24 pm

Btw, SGH have a non-deferral policy, even if they are overloaded.

One of the top cardiologists practices at Sengkang - less cardiologists so he gets to do more cases ($$$)

So if you have an AMI, consider Sengkang for short waiting time to the cardio

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Post by Lisafuller » Sat, 23 Oct 2021 12:18 am

PNGMK wrote:
Fri, 22 Oct 2021 4:39 pm
SCDF do not transport already dead people, the police coroner and casket services do that.

Every patient in an ambulance is assumed to be alive at the start of the journey but DOA does happen ("flatline")
That’s my point, the point of the ambulance is to get live people to the hospital ASAP so they stay that way. Dilly-dallying would only increase the chances of something going wrong.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Sat, 23 Oct 2021 12:22 am

BBCDoc wrote:
Fri, 22 Oct 2021 5:24 pm

One of the top cardiologists practices at Sengkang - less cardiologists so he gets to do more cases ($$$)

I’ve heard of the non-deferral policy, but wasn’t sure if it was true. A noble idea in theory, but actually is to both the hospital and the patient’s detriment in practice.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Sat, 23 Oct 2021 12:22 am

BBCDoc wrote:
Fri, 22 Oct 2021 5:22 pm
malcontent wrote:
PNGMK wrote:
Fri, 22 Oct 2021 11:18 am
It's only recently that Ambulances (and only SCDF) were legally permitted to run red lights.
That is crazy!

I guess that’s why I’ve often heard it said here that getting in a taxi is often a better bet if you need to get to the hospital fast.

US ambulance drivers are all trained to do whatever it takes to get you from point A to point B as quickly and safely as possible. They can drive off the road, jump the curb and drive on the sidewalk if need be. No traffic rules apply, but they still drive safely - using good snap judgements - at least you can be confident that they are doing their utmost and giving you the best shot of saving your life.
US was extremely civilised. Even in and around Baltimore, drivers would pull over to the side to create a lane for the emergency vehicle to run through.

I do joke that sometimes it could be the cops on an urgent donut run….

Exactly. In the US, “ambulance etiquette” is excellent, its like seeing Moses part the Red Sea.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sat, 23 Oct 2021 5:10 am

malcontent wrote:
Fri, 22 Oct 2021 11:10 am
PNGMK wrote:
Fri, 22 Oct 2021 6:52 am
malcontent wrote:
Thu, 21 Oct 2021 10:41 pm
Can anyone explain to me why ambulances in Singapore will turn on their lights and siren, and then stop and wait patiently at the red light? It just blows my mind!
They don't on urgent cases (P1) according to my son. Must be a lower priority.
Then why do they keep their emergency lights flashing if it’s not an urgent case? I thought the whole point of switching on the lights and siren is to signal to others that the vehicle needs to be given priority?

By switching them on when it’s not urgent, it’s like the boy who cried wolf… the public learns to ignore it and they don’t even bother to get give way anymore… the lights become meaningless if “abused” in this way.

When the lights are on and the siren is going in the US, people know it could be life or death and will immediately make way, because it won’t be switched on unless it’s a genuine emergency.

So I am still completely perplexed.
I have even recorded a situation near NUH where an ambulance full light flashing and on siren tried to pass through the cars at the traffic lights. Nobody gave a sh*t despite of the ambulance trying to maneuver its way.

It also happened to me a police car with the lights flashing approached and stopped behind me (at the traffic light), so I moved to the left to let them pass. They didn't and looked at me as I was an idiot.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Sat, 23 Oct 2021 12:29 pm

Lisafuller wrote:
Sat, 23 Oct 2021 12:18 am
PNGMK wrote:
SCDF do not transport already dead people, the police coroner and casket services do that.

Every patient in an ambulance is assumed to be alive at the start of the journey but DOA does happen ("flatline")
That’s my point, the point of the ambulance is to get live people to the hospital ASAP so they stay that way. Dilly-dallying would only increase the chances of something going wrong.
SCDF paramedics routinely pronounce death on arrival (they have the authority and the protocol is based on the ECG results so is objective), the police coroner usually attends deaths as well and determines cause of death and if unnatural if an autopsy is required. SCDF won't transport a dead body if the person is dead when they get to the location- the hospital will have a fit if they find out! SCDF try not have have patients die en route but they do and it's a PITA apparently for the hospital and SCDF guys. The coroner if attending may take the body to the morgue. GP's and other medicos can pronounce death as well and some people (esp Malays) prefer to have a GP do it so they can call an undertaker for immediate burial (this only works really for elderly or people who have been sick for awhile. I did it for my former FIL - I got my GP to attend and he pronounced time and cause of death so the family could bury my FIL immediately that night, you really need to know the GP as he needs to know the history - in this case you call the GP and not SCDF if your relative has died, if you call the SCDF that will involve coroner almost always which often makes an immediate burial impossible).
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

emergency234
Regular
Regular

Post by emergency234 » Sat, 23 Oct 2021 11:47 pm

PNGMK wrote:
Fri, 22 Oct 2021 1:56 pm

Specifically if you have a heart issue get a taxi or someone to drive you to SGH or NUH. No where else.

Don't wait for SCDF. And don't use a private ambulance. My GP says if you have a heart attack get to the NHCS at SGH if at all possible. If not there, then NUH.
That is wrong advice .Please do not get a taxi or get someone to drive someone with an MI to a hospital of ' your ' choice. Have seen quite a few of these collapse enroute and turn up dead! The SCDF chaps know exactly what to do if this happens.

emergency234
Regular
Regular

Post by emergency234 » Sat, 23 Oct 2021 11:50 pm

BBCDoc wrote:

If u think that u r having an AMI - u DO NOT choose ur hospital :shock: .

BBCDoc
Chatter
Chatter

Post by BBCDoc » Sun, 24 Oct 2021 5:11 am

emergency234 wrote:
BBCDoc wrote:

Actually, I would. I did troponin studies with some sites around Singapore, and got to know the labs and some top NHCS cardiologists quite well.

emergency234
Regular
Regular

Post by emergency234 » Sun, 24 Oct 2021 8:07 am

BBCDoc wrote:
Sun, 24 Oct 2021 5:11 am
emergency234 wrote:
BBCDoc wrote:

Actually, I would. I did troponin studies with some sites around Singapore, and got to know the labs and some top NHCS cardiologists quite well.

Yes,NHC would be first choice lol. I meant if unstable or periarrest MI.Then you don't pick your hospital - you might not make it.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Sun, 24 Oct 2021 11:36 am

emergency234 wrote:
Sat, 23 Oct 2021 11:47 pm
PNGMK wrote:

Specifically if you have a heart issue get a taxi or someone to drive you to SGH or NUH. No where else.

Don't wait for SCDF. And don't use a private ambulance. My GP says if you have a heart attack get to the NHCS at SGH if at all possible. If not there, then NUH.
That is wrong advice .Please do not get a taxi or get someone to drive someone with an MI to a hospital of ' your ' choice. Have seen quite a few of these collapse enroute and turn up dead! The SCDF chaps know exactly what to do if this happens.
Yes I agree if you've collapsed for sure. If you're having palpitations maybe a different matter.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Tue, 26 Oct 2021 12:05 am

x9200 wrote:
Sat, 23 Oct 2021 5:10 am
malcontent wrote:
Fri, 22 Oct 2021 11:10 am
PNGMK wrote:
Fri, 22 Oct 2021 6:52 am

They don't on urgent cases (P1) according to my son. Must be a lower priority.
Then why do they keep their emergency lights flashing if it’s not an urgent case? I thought the whole point of switching on the lights and siren is to signal to others that the vehicle needs to be given priority?

By switching them on when it’s not urgent, it’s like the boy who cried wolf… the public learns to ignore it and they don’t even bother to get give way anymore… the lights become meaningless if “abused” in this way.

When the lights are on and the siren is going in the US, people know it could be life or death and will immediately make way, because it won’t be switched on unless it’s a genuine emergency.

So I am still completely perplexed.
I have even recorded a situation near NUH where an ambulance full light flashing and on siren tried to pass through the cars at the traffic lights. Nobody gave a sh*t despite of the ambulance trying to maneuver its way.

It also happened to me a police car with the lights flashing approached and stopped behind me (at the traffic light), so I moved to the left to let them pass. They didn't and looked at me as I was an idiot.
So ridiculous, but unfortunately I’m not surprised at all. So many people here only care about themselves, its more important that they get to their destination sooner than be considerate.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Tue, 26 Oct 2021 12:14 am

PNGMK wrote:
Sat, 23 Oct 2021 12:29 pm
Lisafuller wrote:
Sat, 23 Oct 2021 12:18 am
PNGMK wrote:

SCDF paramedics routinely pronounce death on arrival (they have the authority and the protocol is based on the ECG results so is objective), the police coroner usually attends deaths as well and determines cause of death and if unnatural if an autopsy is required. SCDF won't transport a dead body if the person is dead when they get to the location- the hospital will have a fit if they find out! SCDF try not have have patients die en route but they do and it's a PITA apparently for the hospital and SCDF guys. The coroner if attending may take the body to the morgue. GP's and other medicos can pronounce death as well and some people (esp Malays) prefer to have a GP do it so they can call an undertaker for immediate burial (this only works really for elderly or people who have been sick for awhile. I did it for my former FIL - I got my GP to attend and he pronounced time and cause of death so the family could bury my FIL immediately that night, you really need to know the GP as he needs to know the history - in this case you call the GP and not SCDF if your relative has died, if you call the SCDF that will involve coroner almost always which often makes an immediate burial impossible).
So its true, patients are always live upon pick-up, whether or not they are upon arrival is another story.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Tue, 26 Oct 2021 12:18 am

emergency234 wrote:
Sat, 23 Oct 2021 11:47 pm
PNGMK wrote:

True. Call an ambulance, they know what to do and where to go. Better to pay more to stay alive.