EP is the new PR

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
Post Reply
User avatar
Wd40
Director
Director
Posts: 4162
Joined: Tue, 04 Dec 2012 10:53 am
Location: SIndiapore

Re: EP is the new PR

Post by Wd40 » Tue, 03 Nov 2020 12:37 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Mon, 02 Nov 2020 11:50 am
WD40, your post above is exactly why Indians are having such a hard time gaining PR here. Assimilation is part of the game. This operating in a virtual commune and not integrating with the local population is a keystone of the immigration policy. Don't you think that ICA's field officers check out your habits here as well as the information you list on your application? I think I now possibly know why you have been consistently rejected over the years. Your actions speak louder than words.
It is not a deliberate thing to not integrate. Like I said, we tried. We applied for local school for my daughter and we didnt get a seat. There are enough local schools out there, but the authorities prefer to close them rather than giving the seats to foreigners. They prefer not to have more than 5% foreigners in any local school. They would rather have majority of foreigner kids go to International Schools. So I think you are giving too much weight to this integration thing.

The PR application form has nothing in it to prove integration and not everybody comes to forums like me for the authorities to know whether people are integrating or not. Basically, they have a checkbox criteria, you either meet them or you dont. There is no way to change that.

User avatar
Wd40
Director
Director
Posts: 4162
Joined: Tue, 04 Dec 2012 10:53 am
Location: SIndiapore

Re: EP is the new PR

Post by Wd40 » Tue, 03 Nov 2020 12:46 am

the observer wrote:
Mon, 02 Nov 2020 5:47 pm
In honesty, its a ubiquitous profile of a white collar bloke in sg, especially those in banking and tech. Nothing to shout about whilst still residing here in sg.

If OP had gotten a citizenship, education fees would have been $16 a month. And instead of renting, it would have been for paying down the mortgage. A must would be the OCI card so that he could retire in India if he chooses to when he’s had enough.

I’d think the latter proposition would have been more desirable.
Ofcourse, it would have been desirable to get PR and citizenship. But that is now a hypothetical thing and since I didnt get it, there is no point comparing that scenario. My point is, even not getting PR, is not such a bad thing, if you made good use of your time here.

User avatar
Max Headroom
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 909
Joined: Wed, 08 May 2013 11:31 am
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Re: EP is the new PR

Post by Max Headroom » Tue, 03 Nov 2020 1:40 pm

You always were my fav board pal, WD.

O:)

BigginHill
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 191
Joined: Mon, 22 May 2017 5:46 pm
Answers: 1

Re: EP is the new PR

Post by BigginHill » Tue, 03 Nov 2020 2:30 pm

Here's the "assimilation" distribution key:
bar_pic.png
TFR.JPG

bro75
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 585
Joined: Sun, 02 Sep 2012 8:06 am
Location: Singapore

Re: EP is the new PR

Post by bro75 » Tue, 03 Nov 2020 4:16 pm

Even though you did not get PR, you made good use of your time in SG, WD40.

User avatar
malcontent
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 863
Joined: Sat, 22 Dec 2007 11:52 am
Location: Pulau Ujong

Re: EP is the new PR

Post by malcontent » Tue, 03 Nov 2020 9:29 pm

Wd40 wrote:
Tue, 03 Nov 2020 12:46 am
Ofcourse, it would have been desirable to get PR and citizenship. But that is now a hypothetical thing and since I didnt get it, there is no point comparing that scenario. My point is, even not getting PR, is not such a bad thing, if you made good use of your time here.
I think continuing to reapply after rejection(s) could also be an indicator to them of how dedicated you are to sinking roots here, so if you are really serious about it, keep after it.
It’s not what happens to you, but how you react to it that matters ~ Epictetus

User avatar
malcontent
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 863
Joined: Sat, 22 Dec 2007 11:52 am
Location: Pulau Ujong

Re: EP is the new PR

Post by malcontent » Tue, 03 Nov 2020 9:35 pm

I wonder how they count the new hyphenated races... is Chinese-Something counted as Chinese, or all hyphenated goes to Others?
It’s not what happens to you, but how you react to it that matters ~ Epictetus

User avatar
Wd40
Director
Director
Posts: 4162
Joined: Tue, 04 Dec 2012 10:53 am
Location: SIndiapore

Re: EP is the new PR

Post by Wd40 » Tue, 03 Nov 2020 10:58 pm

malcontent wrote:
Tue, 03 Nov 2020 9:35 pm
I wonder how they count the new hyphenated races... is Chinese-Something counted as Chinese, or all hyphenated goes to Others?
I think it is the former. If you are a mixed race, you need to choose one dominant race and that will decide the category.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 38719
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 1:26 pm
Answers: 4
Location: Retired on the Little Red Dot

Re: EP is the new PR

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 03 Nov 2020 11:21 pm

I'm not sure, but I think i read something where the first listed race in a hyphenated surname is considered the dominant one. Or that the Father's Race would be listed first with the mother's following. Can't remember were I read it so please don't take it as the gospel.
Life isn't about avoiding the bruises. It's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it!

smoulder
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 519
Joined: Fri, 25 Dec 2015 11:05 pm

Re: EP is the new PR

Post by smoulder » Wed, 09 Dec 2020 3:03 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Tue, 03 Nov 2020 11:21 pm
I'm not sure, but I think i read something where the first listed race in a hyphenated surname is considered the dominant one. Or that the Father's Race would be listed first with the mother's following. Can't remember were I read it so please don't take it as the gospel.
I recall reading that there is a choice between making the mothers race the dominant one or the fathers race. I haven't yet been able to find out exactly what the rule is. Anyway, when we apply for citizenship for my daughter I shall soon find out. And I will give report on it in this forum :)

smoulder
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 519
Joined: Fri, 25 Dec 2015 11:05 pm

Re: EP is the new PR

Post by smoulder » Wed, 09 Dec 2020 3:20 pm

Wd40 wrote:
Tue, 03 Nov 2020 12:37 am
sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Mon, 02 Nov 2020 11:50 am
WD40, your post above is exactly why Indians are having such a hard time gaining PR here. Assimilation is part of the game. This operating in a virtual commune and not integrating with the local population is a keystone of the immigration policy. Don't you think that ICA's field officers check out your habits here as well as the information you list on your application? I think I now possibly know why you have been consistently rejected over the years. Your actions speak louder than words.
It is not a deliberate thing to not integrate. Like I said, we tried. We applied for local school for my daughter and we didnt get a seat. There are enough local schools out there, but the authorities prefer to close them rather than giving the seats to foreigners. They prefer not to have more than 5% foreigners in any local school. They would rather have majority of foreigner kids go to International Schools. So I think you are giving too much weight to this integration thing.

The PR application form has nothing in it to prove integration and not everybody comes to forums like me for the authorities to know whether people are integrating or not. Basically, they have a checkbox criteria, you either meet them or you dont. There is no way to change that.
Actually they do have boxes in the form to indicate integration. Some of these boxes include things like "are you a Malaysian" and "is your spouse a citizen". There is also "have you volunteered", but since the gahmen noticed this being abused, they take the answers with a pinch of salt these days.

Now it might seem unfair to you and some others that integration is viewed from such a "narrow" lens, but you have to understand that they have probably done enough of research to know the chances of integration the average Indian or any other non preferred race for that matter who is not married to a local. And they have enough good choices to pick from, so they are quite happy erring on the side of caution.

There was one gentleman from India who posted the other day about how he was approved recently on his first attempt after about 5 years in Singapore. He speculated that integration wise, he may have been successful because (in his words), he lives in an hdb, sends his kid to a local school (obviously they didn't have it easy to get admission) and is not a hindi speaker. Now some of these or all of them may or may not be signs of integration of an Indian from India in the eyes of the gahmen, but who knows. There may be some truth.

In any case, I think it's important to note that you really have to tick a lot of boxes before the gahmen takes you seriously enough to grant you a PR.

User avatar
malcontent
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 863
Joined: Sat, 22 Dec 2007 11:52 am
Location: Pulau Ujong

Re: EP is the new PR

Post by malcontent » Wed, 09 Dec 2020 3:25 pm

What race should one choose between:

1. Eurasian
2. Chinese-Caucasian
3. Caucasian-Chinese

What are the Pros/cons?
HDB ethnic integration policy?
ECF/CDAC/??? contribution rates?
Anything else?
It’s not what happens to you, but how you react to it that matters ~ Epictetus

smoulder
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 519
Joined: Fri, 25 Dec 2015 11:05 pm

Re: EP is the new PR

Post by smoulder » Wed, 09 Dec 2020 3:31 pm

malcontent wrote:
Wed, 09 Dec 2020 3:25 pm
What race should one choose between:

1. Eurasian
2. Chinese-Caucasian
3. Caucasian-Chinese

What are the Pros/cons?
HDB ethnic integration policy?
ECF/CDAC/??? contribution rates?
Anything else?
Will be interesting to discuss this. Probably deserves a separate thread. I plan (or hope to) have my daughter's primary race listed as Chinese and secondary as Indian. Someone suggested to try the other way around because of ethnic quota. However, I'm already staying in a brand new condo and I imagine that it may not be a factor. Apart from that, there is a whole lot of privilege involved in being the majority race. This is subjective to some - for me, it's a major part of the equation. I would also like my daughter to study Chinese as a mother tongue.

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “General Discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 36 guests