Singapore Expats

Mens shoe repair

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
Jgrif96229
Regular
Regular

Mens shoe repair

Post by Jgrif96229 » Tue, 29 Sep 2020 10:20 pm

Got a $130 sgd quote to put new leather soles on my dress shoes from a mall repair shop
Is this a bit much?
Need a referral that might be less.
by abbby » Thu, 01 Oct 2020 5:05 pm
Perhaps you can get a quote from this shop at Holland Village food centre (he faces the outside road), I had my heel soles changed and I remember they lasted and the shoes felt nice after the replacement. And was affordable.
Go to full post
Joseph griffin

abbby
Manager
Manager
Answers: 2

Re: Mens shoe repair

Post by abbby » Wed, 30 Sep 2020 9:41 am

It sounds costly, why not get a second opinion or quote from another shop before you commit?
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made. - Groucho Marx (1890-1977)

malcontent
Manager
Manager
Answers: 8

Post by malcontent » Wed, 30 Sep 2020 7:55 pm

Jgrif96229 wrote:
Tue, 29 Sep 2020 10:20 pm
Got a $130 sgd quote to put new leather soles on my dress shoes from a mall repair shop
Is this a bit much?
Need a referral that might be less.
I would never pay that. That is about what I normally pay for brand new shoes. Incidentally, my last pair had leather soles and they sure didn’t last very long.

I always buy two pair of dress shoes every time I go back to the US. Wear one and keep the other in a dry box so they don’t get moldy... same for leather belts. Even after being here 24 years, 80-90% of what I wear is purchased in the US, and it’s not just because I’m stubborn!

For shoe repair, I normally do it myself, but if I had to engage outside services, I wouldn’t go anywhere around Orchard or downtown. They will are likely to stick it to you, especially if you are an ang moh.
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

Jgrif96229
Regular
Regular

Post by Jgrif96229 » Wed, 30 Sep 2020 10:08 pm

Yes, We both thought that it was more than the price when they were new. We have had other soles replaced in US for $40 to $50 stateside.
There in a travel back to US suitcase when travel opens up to US.

The other scam is the sneaker cleaners
Cheaper to buy a new pair at a pop up shoe store clearance vendor.

Most shoes made in Asia are cheaper to buy and fix in US
Joseph griffin

tt1973
Chatter
Chatter

Post by tt1973 » Thu, 01 Oct 2020 7:32 am

Why fix a shoe when the repair cost is higher than new? I am sure the leather would have also shown significant wear and tear not just the soles.

Get a new pair instead.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 01 Oct 2020 11:40 am

Yeah, I'm an old fogey. Fix them if the topsides and insoles are in good shape. Anything you buy today are not likely to give you the same service nor will they be as comfortable. Shop around, there are a number of decent cobblers in town. If they are good shoes it might be worth it to resole them. I'm a believer of restoration and recycling when restoration isn't possible or practical.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

abbby
Manager
Manager
Answers: 2

Post by abbby » Thu, 01 Oct 2020 5:05 pm

Perhaps you can get a quote from this shop at Holland Village food centre (he faces the outside road), I had my heel soles changed and I remember they lasted and the shoes felt nice after the replacement. And was affordable.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made. - Groucho Marx (1890-1977)

malcontent
Manager
Manager
Answers: 8

Post by malcontent » Thu, 01 Oct 2020 6:28 pm

I was just thinking about it - every single piece of footwear I currently own was purchased in the US. Dress shoes, casual shoes, gym shoes, sandals. Over the years I have tried... probably bought at least a dozen pairs locally. The prices are usually higher (sometimes much higher), styles are often wacky & sizes are very limited (for my size foot). But one nice thing about the footwear shopping in Singapore, you can know if they have your size instantly by checking the bottom of the display shoe - wish they did that in the US!
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr