Singapore Expats

Everyone on FB Expat forums is a snowflake that can't handle the truth like us here can

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
PNGMK
Answers: 10

Everyone on FB Expat forums is a snowflake that can't handle the truth like us here can

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 23 Sep 2020 9:54 am

Geez they are sensitive and don't want to hear the hard facts.

Case in point a father on the "getting in and out of SG page" posts about needed in help getting his wife's parents in on an LTVP (they are from the UK) to help with their severely disabled new born who is in GlenEagles. Guy clearly only wants to hear the good news - I suggested (kindly) it might be time to pack up and head back to where you can get subsidized medical care. Guy blows his stack telling me he didn't want unsolicited advice - hello you posted for help!

The reality is mate, you're living in Singapore. You won't get a single cent or iota of help from the gahmen. Most (but not all) expat I've met in a similar situation has gone home. Expat life and disabled kids are generally incompatible and unfortunately a life changing situation. I do have a friend here with a physically capable but completely autistic kid and he has two maids to help but he is a wealthy man. The other case I can think of the child didn't need expensive medical help and the mother wasn't working.

I expect in a few months he will be posting about how broke he is a from the GE bills.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

abbby
Manager
Manager
Answers: 2

Re: Everyone on FB Expat forums is a snowflake that can't handle the truth like us here can

Post by abbby » Wed, 23 Sep 2020 10:12 am

Such a sensitive guy, I think he only wants to hear the good stuff. Well, let him have a shock when he sees his GE bills. He'll send himself packing.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made. - Groucho Marx (1890-1977)

PNGMK

Re: Everyone on FB Expat forums is a snowflake that can't handle the truth like us here can

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 23 Sep 2020 10:18 am

abbby wrote:
Wed, 23 Sep 2020 10:12 am
Such a sensitive guy, I think he only wants to hear the good stuff. Well, let him have a shock when he sees his GE bills. He'll send himself packing.
Agreed. Then the group moderators say I am rude... when I am telling the truth... guy has to face reality. I imagine bills already 100k plus.

Then the other FB people say "talk to MP" which we know almost never helps or "talk to HR to get your wife a payraise" which isn't going to happen... all sweet responses when really it should be "Pack your wife and kid up and send them back where the NHS will take care of the baby and your wife is close to her mum".

abbby
Manager
Manager

Post by abbby » Wed, 23 Sep 2020 11:01 am

Those are just sweet responses which are not likely not going to happen, talk to MP, what can the MP do..waive the bill? Wife pay rise sounds unrealistic for times like that and even with a pay rise, it's not going to help very much with GE's hefty bills.

Well, if they didn't buy maternity insurance for the newborn then it's likely they'll have to fork out every single cent, and special care units / NICU are extremely hefty, for newborns alone can start from $1,000 a day depending on what equipment is used for the day. On top of it, they have to pay for paediatrician's daily visit to the newborn.

Bill can easily reach $50,000- $100,000 or even more. Depending on duration of stay.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made. - Groucho Marx (1890-1977)

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 23 Sep 2020 11:09 am

I feel sorry for the guy but the sooner he drops his snowflake "high caste Brahman mummy boy" attitude the quicker he can stop bleeding money.

abbby
Manager
Manager

Post by abbby » Wed, 23 Sep 2020 11:12 am

Ya I feel sorry for him too...hope he wakes up to reality soon.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Wed, 23 Sep 2020 1:02 pm

Talking about ICU, Is his newborn well enough to travel on a regular flight? If not, the hospital bills may still be a cheaper option, although keeping the kid in GE surely does not sound like a budget friendly option.

mtnut

Post by mtnut » Wed, 23 Sep 2020 1:05 pm

Its possible they have company health insurance. I saw the thread - looks like the OP is under a lot of emotional stress. Guess its not surprising they snapped at you, but thought you replied gracefully anyway :)

sndy
Regular
Regular

Post by sndy » Wed, 23 Sep 2020 11:43 pm

May I ask which FB forum is this?

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Thu, 24 Sep 2020 10:18 am

mtnut wrote:
Wed, 23 Sep 2020 1:05 pm
Its possible they have company health insurance. I saw the thread - looks like the OP is under a lot of emotional stress. Guess its not surprising they snapped at you, but thought you replied gracefully anyway :)
OP is stressed and probably knows he needs to pull the trigger. Seems he is some sort of highly paid exec and probably is looking at going back on the dole in the UK. Thanks for the kind words.

Group is "Getting back to SG" and consists of mostly Indian EP holders trying to convince a few of us realists why Singapore should let them back in....(considering a massive % of imported cases are Indian EP's and the whole Temasek/StanChart debable they are not MOM flavour of the month).

https://www.facebook.com/groups/541094413507820/

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Sat, 26 Sep 2020 4:47 pm

PNGMK wrote:
Thu, 24 Sep 2020 10:18 am
mtnut wrote:
Wed, 23 Sep 2020 1:05 pm
OP is stressed and probably knows he needs to pull the trigger. Seems he is some sort of highly paid exec and probably is looking at going back on the dole in the UK. Thanks for the kind words.

Group is "Getting back to SG" and consists of mostly Indian EP holders trying to convince a few of us realists why Singapore should let them back in....(considering a massive % of imported cases are Indian EP's and the whole Temasek/StanChart debable they are not MOM flavour of the month).

https://www.facebook.com/groups/541094413507820/
Interesting, so that is where all the traffic from this forum has shifted. Personally, I am not comfortable with FB, with my real name interacting in forums. I love the anonymity and I can be myself.

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Sat, 26 Sep 2020 10:55 pm

Who is stupid enough to use a real name and birthday and Location on FB?

I complained about a hotel on a review site via FB. That hotel tried seriously to get me fired. Didn't work.

tt1973
Chatter
Chatter

Post by tt1973 » Sun, 27 Sep 2020 5:44 pm

In FB everyone knows who you are, your profile, you circle of friends, etc.

In a forum like this, we can continue to be anonymous.

Moreover, it is almost impossible to find old posts in FB.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sun, 27 Sep 2020 9:28 pm

It's not about whether you write under your real name but the connections you create that would allow to identify you. People tend to give away critical information and they do it more easily when they think they act anonymouselly. No, you are not, sooner you realize it, better for you.

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Mon, 28 Sep 2020 12:17 am

x9200 wrote:
Sun, 27 Sep 2020 9:28 pm
It's not about whether you write under your real name but the connections you create that would allow to identify you. People tend to give away critical information and they do it more easily when they think they act anonymouselly. No, you are not, sooner you realize it, better for you.
All the people who have fell in trouble recently(The JP Morgan guy, the guy who posted the flag, the lady from NTUC who complained about HDB block weddings etc) all got into trouble due to their real identity getting revealed through social media. So the danger of using your real name in social media is real.