Singapore Expats

Why you might want to shut your business in Singapore

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: Why you might want to shut your business in Singapore

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 30 Jun 2016 11:24 am

Better question would be "Why wasn't he thinking?"
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

brunoeazzurra

Post by brunoeazzurra » Thu, 30 Jun 2016 11:27 am

If only he had followed The Police growing up -

Hate ads interrupting my Youtube forays early morning, but this one is hilarious -

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Thu, 30 Jun 2016 12:19 pm

JR8 wrote: Maybe soon just NTUC, and NTUC Finest will be left.
and mustafa.. :lol:
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 30 Jun 2016 12:59 pm

I knew it long before Police ever became a group even. My mother grew up in the coal mining camps of West Virginia.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

brunoeazzurra

Re: RE: Re: Why you might want to shut your business in Singapore

Post by brunoeazzurra » Thu, 30 Jun 2016 2:48 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:I knew it long before Police ever became a group even. My mother grew up in the coal mining camps of West Virginia.
I was referring to the revered author of the article.

And sure, you've been in Singapore longer than I've been on the face of the planet Image You probably grew up with Gordon Sumner

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Thu, 30 Jun 2016 2:53 pm

Dat korrek SMS. Hence the expression 'Singing like a canary in a coal-mine', meaning, in a very animated way.
Same origin for when a suspect gets hauled in by the cops and confesses everything -> 'Singing like a bird'.

As for 'Spain vs Europe', well, they did have their elections on Sunday :)

ps. I got the Police's first major hit 'Roxanne' on '45 when it charted. Picture sleeve + blue vinyl. Maybe worth a few quid...
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard

brunoeazzurra

Post by brunoeazzurra » Thu, 30 Jun 2016 3:00 pm

You have the single? I'll buy it off you - what's your ask?

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Thu, 30 Jun 2016 3:38 pm

I have indeed. My old case of records is somewhere in my parents loft and it's full of stuff from c75-85, mostly punk/new-wave/'alt'.
Lots of The Stranglers including what were rarities even then, like Japanese imports, coloured vinyl, bootlegs and so. The Damned, Jam, Stiff Little Fingers, Clash, Dead Kennedys, Ruts, Blondie [who together with the Police were considered new-wave, as curious as that might sound now].
A cousin of mine had similar, but he was a couple of years ahead of me, his collection included originals versions of the Sex Pistols 45s. Wonder if he still has them as they're worth $mucho!

My father is in that retirement 'clear out' phase and a few years ago asked me if I 'still have any use for your old records, I mean you don't even have a record player'. I pointed out that a copy one of my Stranglers '45s had recently sold on e-bay for a few £hundred. He always hated my music with a passion back in those days so he was more than a little surprised :)

brunoeazzurra

Post by brunoeazzurra » Thu, 30 Jun 2016 9:52 pm

Sweet! Any Pink Floyd recs? I chances upon a stash of flacs but looks like the converter screwed it up- unable to run the equaliser on them.

Have a few rare Bowies, Sex Pistols, T-Rex myself (all courtesy of the better half) interesting works.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Fri, 01 Jul 2016 1:38 am

Not originals [:-p] I kinda landed/instantly found my niche musically as a youth in about '75 and went forward concurrently from there (and later via Motorhead, Iron Maiden, AC/DC) until music finally lost it's way for me c82/3. Then I progressively went backwards and discovered styles/bands from say '65-75, like the formative pre-cursors of punk via the Velvet Underground and psychedelia etc into the New York Dolls and so on; The Doors, King Crimson, Yardbirds, Focus and many others.

Moved to Japan in the 90s and discovered techno/dance/house. Enjoyed that, as it had a very poor/druggie rap back home then. So I got to understand it in entirely appreciative and convivial places [the legendary Juliana's Tokyo club, etc]. In fact that's when The Prodigy first crossed my radar, they were a club/dance band back then, that morphed into more alt/heavy in later years - always easier to get a band if you know their evolution.

Strangely, Japan being Japan, they have a thing for British 'early music'. So in parallel I suddenly found myself buying CDs of such music dating back to c1200AD. I found it fascinating, it's impossible to fail to see parallels with say Jethro Tull, prog-rock, and hence how rock and music evolved post 1930s [from Delta blues].

That's a few core elements, blues and jazz get look-ins too. Curious how my taste and learning has evolved, like the tides ebbing forward [concurrently], then back again [for the roots/origins] :)

Lucky for you having that early stuff! T-Rex, that's a name I haven't heard in a while :) I recall the glam-rock period well, T-Rex, Mud, Slade et al... :) The first chart '45 I ever bought was Alvin Stardust hahaha.... and Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds - Elton John. Surprising how few people realise the latter was [the now] 'Saint Elton's' cover tribute to dropping acid [i.e. LSD - surprised SG never banned that one :)]

If you had to pick one Desert Island Disc what do you think it might be?
[FWIW: Mine miiiight be the album Rattus Norvegicus by The Stranglers]

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Fri, 01 Jul 2016 3:27 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYh1lRR1m6Y
'The Ramones - Blitzkrieg Bop (Live)'

Some early punk. Nice, when it was 'everyman', and 'anti-image'.
[I mean specifically the Ramones here, and most such bands before any of them 'made it']

brunoeazzurra

Post by brunoeazzurra » Tue, 05 Jul 2016 12:19 pm

Lucky for you, you were around to witness history as it was made! I was born too late and was following these bands only 1-2 decades after their most prolific years...I think the music industry suffered through the 90s and 2000's and 2010's. There is good music being produced but I somehow can't help but believe that the best music has all been made and the best songs have all been sung.

One relatively new genre/band that has deeply appealed to my sensibilities is the dark jazz band Bohren and der Club of Gore. Check them out especially "Sunset Mission". I wouldn't call them ground breaking, but I'm not looking for that at this point. Just something to accompany a glass of good single malt.

I don't have a Desert Island Disc. Too much pressure!

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Tue, 05 Jul 2016 7:17 pm

It was certainly an interesting time to be a teenager :) Though the wars and economic recessions that bred the anger that led into those genres of punk/alt weren't fun at all.
My father talks of early 50s 'rock n'roll' in a similar way, the likes of Bill Hailey and The Comets [Rock Around The Clock etc] were rebellious and exciting. I imagine the 30s Jazz-era must have been similar.
It makes you wonder what has to be going on in the world for a genre of music, later regarded as of historic significance, to happen. It could be said that jazz, blues and punk were all a result of poverty and protest; and perhaps good times don't tend to nurture historically significant new genres. Hmmm... :)

Bohren. I can't say I've heard of them. Thanks for the tip, I'll try and cue that one up in Youtube right now! :)

brunoeazzurra

Post by brunoeazzurra » Tue, 05 Jul 2016 9:56 pm

I totally get what you're getting at. I firmly believe that art that is truly beautiful is merely the expression of some profound pain/sadness/oppression/crisis. The "positive" happy stuff just doesn't seem deep enough.

And who better to communicate the angst of the universe than the Germans? A bit ornate, but quite a good review - http://thequietus.com/articles/14559-bo ... hts-review

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Wed, 06 Jul 2016 1:28 am

Sumptuously languid, thanks for posting, most interesting :)
Conjurers visuals for me, like these from the US artist Edward Hopper ...
http://www.edwardhopper.net/images/pain ... utomat.jpg
http://archives.skafka.net/Edward%20Hopper.jpg

ps. The mood created reminds me rather of post night-out chill-out/ambient music...