Singapore Expats

Is life in Singapore more relaxing than in London?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
x9200

Re: Is life in Singapore more relaxing than in London?

Post by x9200 » Thu, 05 Mar 2015 10:06 pm

kaseyma wrote:Of course, there are quite a few other authentic restaurants where the Thais are, in Golden Mile.
However, am not sure if you would like it there.
They do not cater to Western tastes, since almost all of their clientele is Thai.
:P
Local (in a broader sense) perception of the Western taste is roughly f%@&%# up as much as the food prepared following this perception.

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Fri, 06 Mar 2015 9:48 am

Agreed. The Thai restaurants in Orchard Towers and Golden Mile are worlds better and cheaper than the multi-chain types. But can't say much about the hygiene level :-/

Brah
Manager
Manager

Post by Brah » Fri, 06 Mar 2015 10:06 am

the lynx wrote:Agreed. The Thai restaurants in Orchard Towers and Golden Mile are worlds better and cheaper than the multi-chain types. But can't say much about the hygiene level :-/
It's been a while since being back to Golden Mile so don't remember so well, but been to 3 places in OT, pretty scary on the cleanliness side, how they manage a B is beyond me. I found the food to be so-so. And for the record, I prefer my Thai food to be Thai style, and the hotter the better.

Having said that, there are a lot of places like that - next time you go to BQ have a walk down that corridor behind the shops on the water and peek into the kitchens. Very, very scary.

I've yet to find decent Thai food here, save for a couple of higher-end places that lack one thing or another. But Golden Mile deserves another shot.
Ape Shall Not Kill Ape.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Fri, 06 Mar 2015 10:11 am

x9200 wrote:
kaseyma wrote:Of course, there are quite a few other authentic restaurants where the Thais are, in Golden Mile.
However, am not sure if you would like it there.
They do not cater to Western tastes, since almost all of their clientele is Thai.
:P
Local (in a broader sense) perception of the Western taste is roughly f%@&%# up as much as the food prepared following this perception.
Strange isn't it. I'm wondering who would choose to move to Asia and then demand a 'westernised' version of Asian food :???: What I want is a product that is authentic as could be, and then I'm free to decide what I can afford, and what I can take/enjoy, and what I'll pass on.

What I specifically do not want is an adapted or neutered version of the original! Thus, finding the un-neutered/adapted/$corner-cut version of a cuisine or dish becomes the challenge.

--- And these stereotyped 'Western tastes'; if they were limited to that minority then why is it so difficult to find authentic regional cuisine here? Might it be that it is the locals rather than 'Western tastes' that want cheap+neutered?
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard

x9200

Post by x9200 » Fri, 06 Mar 2015 10:37 am

Perhaps not cheap but neutered for sure. You know, no Westerner can take any spicy food. It is so bad that there are some touristic enclaves where a Westerner can not get some normal, local food at all. One of them, from my experience, is Koh Phi Phi.

I had a dinner once or twice in Golden Mile, but it was like 10y ago when I also traveled prety frequently to Thailand. I don't remember anything bad about this experience what is probably a good sign. Any other place (restaurants) I have tried in Singapore the food was so-so, neutred and not good quality in general.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Fri, 06 Mar 2015 12:08 pm

x9200 wrote:Perhaps not cheap but neutered for sure. You know, no Westerner can take any spicy food. It is so bad that there are some touristic enclaves where a Westerner can not get some normal, local food at all. One of them, from my experience, is Koh Phi Phi.
Hehe... agreed. But SG is not a 'touristic enclave' such as KPP. And I further agree, that when abroad in such holiday destinations, despite it being their home cuisine I still have to seek the genuine article rather than the tourist offerings.

Just try the Berjaya Tioman for an example of what Malay food shouldn't be. But getting the real-deal isn't hard, if you ask around, and are willing to leave the confines of the hotel compound.
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard