Singapore Expats

How has living in Singapore changed your life?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
emjay

How has living in Singapore changed your life?

Post by emjay » Thu, 09 Oct 2014 1:23 pm

Hopefully moving to Singapore has had a positive impact on people's lives. But for some, maybe not? How has living in Singapore changed your life for better or worse:
Personally
Family
Financially
Socially
Mentally
Whatever?

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Re: How has living in Singapore changed your life?

Post by the lynx » Thu, 09 Oct 2014 2:25 pm

emjay wrote:Hopefully moving to Singapore has had a positive impact on people's lives. But for some, maybe not? How has living in Singapore changed your life for better or worse:
Personally
Family
Financially
Socially
Mentally
Whatever?
One thing that is constant in this question, is that we all change. And each one of us is the sum of all experiences we have.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Thu, 09 Oct 2014 2:35 pm

@OP. Why are you asking?

- There's enough O level students doing 'cookie' surveys as it is...

emjay

What?

Post by emjay » Thu, 09 Oct 2014 2:42 pm

JR8 wrote:@OP. Why are you asking?

I have no idea what you are talking about. As someone moving over there, it would be interesting to get a feel for what the significant life changes people experience. But hey, read it some other weird way if that's what floats your boat.

emjay

Post by emjay » Thu, 09 Oct 2014 2:44 pm

the lynx wrote:
emjay wrote:Hopefully moving to Singapore has had a positive impact on people's lives. But for some, maybe not? How has living in Singapore changed your life for better or worse:
Personally
Family
Financially
Socially
Mentally
Whatever?
One thing that is constant in this question, is that we all change. And each one of us is the sum of all experiences we have.
Awesome, thanks for that that Gandhi. Really helpful. No doubt the sarcasm will be lost on you.

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Thu, 09 Oct 2014 2:47 pm

Financially - Yes, our savings rate here is higher than my home country

Family - Yes, our daughter was born while we were here :)

Mentally - Yes, my world view is now broader.

Physically - Yes, I have grown 5 years older now :(, I dont blame it on Singapore though.
Last edited by Wd40 on Thu, 09 Oct 2014 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Thu, 09 Oct 2014 3:17 pm

emjay wrote:
the lynx wrote:
Personally
Family
Financially
Socially
Mentally
Whatever?
Awesome, thanks for that that Gandhi. Really helpful. No doubt the sarcasm will be lost on you.
Lynx Gandhi its a politician
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 09 Oct 2014 4:57 pm

How did "emjay" become "emjay"? :???:
Last edited by sundaymorningstaple on Fri, 10 Oct 2014 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

x9200

Post by x9200 » Thu, 09 Oct 2014 6:52 pm

Unless something has changed in more recent versions of phpbb it required manual editing of the sql tables so I wonder the same.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Re: What?

Post by JR8 » Thu, 09 Oct 2014 6:53 pm

emjay wrote:
JR8 wrote:@OP. Why are you asking?
I have no idea what you are talking about. As someone moving over there, it would be interesting to get a feel for what the significant life changes people experience. But hey, read it some other weird way if that's what floats your boat.
Oh, you're moving here?

Did you think of telling people that, before the rather ethereal list of questions? Suggestion: You need to help people in order to help you, rather than imagine that they're mind-readers.

beppi
Manager
Manager

Post by beppi » Thu, 09 Oct 2014 7:17 pm

Personally Yes, quite a lot
Family Yes, I have one now
Financially Yes, I earned and saved some money in Singapore
Socially Yes, I do have new friends (and lost some old ones)
Mentally Yes, I became wiser
Whatever? Yes, that too!
Does this answer help you?
(I guess not.)

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Thu, 09 Oct 2014 7:22 pm

Personally - I'm more of a twat now.
Family - They hate me even more.
Financially - I spent it all on piss and hookers
Socially - see above
Mentally - what do you think from being in bars and brothels at all hours?
Whatever?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 09 Oct 2014 8:15 pm

x9200 wrote:Unless something has changed in more recent versions of phpbb it required manual editing of the sql tables so I wonder the same.
The last time that was done was a number of years ago for "Eric from the Netherlands". It has to be done by Admin, so I'm guessing she figures she shouldn't have been using her real name (true) and approached Pal/Joop to change it. Makes sense to me, especially with her uppity attitude toward Lynx and some others here who are only trying to help.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

x9200

Post by x9200 » Thu, 09 Oct 2014 8:17 pm

emjay wrote:
the lynx wrote:
Personally
Family
Financially
Socially
Mentally
Whatever?
3 people told you pretty directly that your question list is rather silly and you still didn't get it but please be our sarcasm guru.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Thu, 09 Oct 2014 8:22 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
x9200 wrote:Unless something has changed in more recent versions of phpbb it required manual editing of the sql tables so I wonder the same.
The last time that was done was a number of years ago for "Eric from the Netherlands". It has to be done by Admin, so I'm guessing she figures she shouldn't have been using her real name (true) and approached Pal/Joop to change it. Makes sense to me, especially with her uppity attitude toward Lynx and some others here who are only trying to help.
Clearly the case.