Singapore Expats

pls help me about US tourist visa...

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
sajibd

pls help me about US tourist visa...

Post by sajibd » Tue, 02 Sep 2014 3:45 pm

Hello everyone..

I want your help. Im thinking to apply US tourist visa next chinese new year. My uncle & his family live in NY. About 8years we didn’t meet. From long he wants me to go there even for short time (like 1 or 2weeks).
I’m working here in Singapore past 6years under WP & im Bangladeshi passport holder. Anyone suggest me what type of documents I need to show them & what papers my uncle need to send me or if you guys know any travel agency who really helpful for paper work I will contact with them.

I’m sorry for my bad English :)

Tanuki
Regular
Regular

Re: pls help me about US tourist visa...

Post by Tanuki » Tue, 02 Sep 2014 3:52 pm

sajibd wrote:Hello everyone..

I want your help. Im thinking to apply US tourist visa next chinese new year. My uncle & his family live in NY. About 8years we didn’t meet. From long he wants me to go there even for short time (like 1 or 2weeks).
I’m working here in Singapore past 6years under WP & im Bangladeshi passport holder. Anyone suggest me what type of documents I need to show them & what papers my uncle need to send me or if you guys know any travel agency who really helpful for paper work I will contact with them.

Don't waste your money on the agents. The US Dept of State website shows you all the requirements:
http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/e ... sitor.html

A tourist visa is not difficult to obtain.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Tue, 02 Sep 2014 3:55 pm

sajibd wrote:Hello everyone..

go to any travel agent who can submit the application

later, the US embassy will ask you to turn up for an interview and documents needed will be specified there.

normal, Bank statement showing decent balance, proof of property etc, to convince the US embassy staff that you are not on a one way ticket

In Singapore the embassy will only want YOUR proof of income / bank balance etc, rarely they even look at your uncle's promises

if you have travelled to other western countries, Australia, Canada etc, you need to show them the passport that has those visas

Good luck, btw.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Tue, 02 Sep 2014 3:56 pm

Tanuki wrote:
you don't hold an Asian passport right???

Tanuki
Regular
Regular

Post by Tanuki » Tue, 02 Sep 2014 4:02 pm

ecureilx wrote:
Tanuki wrote:
OK so slight edit change for above:

A tourist visa is not difficult to apply for...

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Tue, 02 Sep 2014 4:07 pm

Tanuki wrote:
ecureilx wrote:
Tanuki wrote:
OK so slight edit change for above:

A tourist visa is not difficult to apply for...
+1

:D

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Tue, 02 Sep 2014 4:45 pm

ecureilx wrote:
Tanuki wrote:
Coming from a backwater country known for...ahem...economic refugess, I know how difficult it can be to apply for visas for first world countries (Singapore doesn't count). You'll overstay and the burden is on you to convince them otherwise.

@OP: the key is to prepare as much documents as you can showing you will lose more if you overstay illegally in the US than if you'll come back to Singapore. You have to show the consul enough ties to your country of residence such that leaving/severing those ties will be cause much loss.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

Blade
Regular
Regular

Post by Blade » Tue, 09 Sep 2014 10:26 pm

Prepare to be photographed,finger printed.iris scanned,tagged,body scanned,interviewed and growled at..

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 09 Sep 2014 11:01 pm

.....and then they will give you over to TSA when you get there! :o :devil:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Wed, 10 Sep 2014 9:22 am

@sajibd

The below discussion might give you some general background info on the physical aspect of the US visa application process...

http://forum.singaporeexpats.com/ftopic ... asc-0.html

BedokAmerican
Chatter
Chatter

Post by BedokAmerican » Mon, 15 Sep 2014 6:19 am

Sajibd,

I read this thread and the one posted by JR8 and found it interesting. I've never been to the American Embassy in Singapore, but it sounds very much like a typical DMV or SSA office, minus the interviews. I guess that's no shocker.

One thing to note is that if you go to the USA, please wear deodorant if you don't already wear it. Talc powder doesn't cut it. Get the deodorant, even if you think you don't need it. Trust me on this. I don't mean to sound offensive, rude or stereotypical, I'm just trying to be helpful. You'll blend in much better because you won't stink.

I mention deodorant because you mentioned you're a native of Bangladesh. Nothing wrong with Bangladesh, but often it's not the cultural norm for some (SOME, not all) people to wear deodorant. I spoke to a fellow American who traveled to Dhaka for work and they said there were lots of body odor smells but the people who live there don't recognize it because they're used to it. Americans will quickly notice body odor, even if one person isn't wearing deodorant, and they'll do their best to get away from them or cover their noses/breathe through their mouths. They'll be too scared to tell someone they stink, though, because it might be seen as rude.

Once again, please accept my apologies if I offended you or anybody else. And if you already wear deodorant, that's wonderful (and commuters on the MRT here in Sg are probably grateful).

Hopefully you'll get your visa and that you have a nice time visiting your relatives in New York.

Sergei82
Editor
Editor

Post by Sergei82 » Mon, 15 Sep 2014 9:52 am

Got 10 years US tourist visa in June. I wonder, how situation changed recently for Ukrainians. It may be even easier to go to US now - according to some people who visited US recently, Americans give full moral support to Ukrainians in their struggle with Russia (unfortunately, they have weak Obama, so it may have become harder). Europeans though in general despite their rhetoric though hate Ukraine for its existence and for their economical troubles they must take on because of closing ties with Russia (all because of this "damned" Ukraine).

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Mon, 15 Sep 2014 11:06 am

Sergei82 wrote:Got 10 years US tourist visa in June. I wonder, how situation changed recently for Ukrainians. It may be even easier to go to US now - according to some people who visited US recently, Americans give full moral support to Ukrainians in their struggle with Russia (unfortunately, they have weak Obama, so it may have become harder). Europeans though in general despite their rhetoric though hate Ukraine for its existence and for their economical troubles they must take on because of closing ties with Russia (all because of this "damned" Ukraine).
Definitely lots of support. Lots of Ukrainians too. Anecdotally, even the ethnic Russians I know here hate Putin. But that could be a lot to do with why they're in the US and not back in Russia.