Singapore Expats

Newly opened IKEA at JEM

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Newly opened IKEA at JEM

Post by Lisafuller » Wed, 12 May 2021 7:38 pm

Hi everyone, has anyone been to the newly opened IKEA at JEM? I’ve been thinking about making a trip down just to have a look as its not too far from me but was wondering if its even worth going.

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Re: Newly opened IKEA at JEM

Post by Wd40 » Wed, 12 May 2021 10:21 pm

We live nearby too(near lakeside MRT) but havent been there yet. As expats who live in fully furnished houses, there isnt much we can do at Ikea. When we used to live in Tampines we used to go to the Ikea there occasionally but cant remember buying anything of significance, I still remember the Almond cheesecake we had there was very nice, though.

abbby
Manager
Manager
Answers: 2

Post by abbby » Wed, 12 May 2021 10:31 pm

Lucky westies, they get everything...
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made. - Groucho Marx (1890-1977)

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 12 May 2021 10:48 pm

We got Ikea, Giant & Courts all within walking distance of each other in the Easterlies!
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

abbby
Manager
Manager
Answers: 2

Post by abbby » Thu, 13 May 2021 10:57 am

Not only that, you've got IMM, Jurong Point, JEM and Westgate too... :shock:
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made. - Groucho Marx (1890-1977)

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 13 May 2021 12:06 pm

I've got a PC, smartphone. I rarely go to any store anymore with the exception of the lumber yards/hardware stores and NTUC for foodstuffs.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Fri, 14 May 2021 11:45 am

Wd40 wrote:
Wed, 12 May 2021 10:21 pm
We live nearby too(near lakeside MRT) but havent been there yet. As expats who live in fully furnished houses, there isnt much we can do at Ikea. When we used to live in Tampines we used to go to the Ikea there occasionally but cant remember buying anything of significance, I still remember the Almond cheesecake we had there was very nice, though.
Our home is fully furnished as well, but we always enjoy going to fill up on hotdogs and we always end up buying one or two things we didn’t know we needed.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Fri, 14 May 2021 11:47 am

abbby wrote:
Wed, 12 May 2021 10:31 pm
Lucky westies, they get everything...
I would say the opposite, most of the good stuff is in the East!

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Fri, 14 May 2021 11:48 am

abbby wrote:
Thu, 13 May 2021 10:57 am
But you’ve got Changi City Point and Jewel!

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Fri, 14 May 2021 11:49 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Thu, 13 May 2021 12:06 pm
I've got a PC, smartphone. I rarely go to any store anymore with the exception of the lumber yards/hardware stores and NTUC for foodstuffs.
We buy most of our stuff online as well, especially since COVID hit, but we’ve alway liked going to IKEA as a family.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 14 May 2021 12:23 pm

I goes to ikea once a year and was disappointed last year. I usually only go during christmas week to pick up a couple of jars of pickled herring for new years eve. this past new years they didn't have any in the store so I left empty handed.

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Sat, 15 May 2021 12:48 am

Lisafuller wrote:
Fri, 14 May 2021 11:48 am
abbby wrote:
We used to live in Tampines for like 8 years and last 4 years in Jurong. The thing I miss the most about east is the beaches, we used to go to Changi and ECP quite often. From Jurong, the nearest in Sentosa and it is a pain to get there by public transport and now you need to book a slot online, how times have changed. :(

What we like about the west is the greenery, and the open spaces, Jurong lake gardens is awesome.

Malls are pretty much similar in both east and west. But the crowd is very different. In the east there are lots of Indian IT workers. In the west it is mostly locals, PRs. I used to bump into so many known people in Tampines. But in Jurong, almost nobody from my workplace live. They all have this feeling that Jurong is far, which is crazy, because our office is in the city and it is of the same distance from Changi or Jurong.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Sun, 16 May 2021 12:57 am

Wd40 wrote:
Sat, 15 May 2021 12:48 am
Lisafuller wrote:
Fri, 14 May 2021 11:48 am
abbby wrote:
We used to live in Tampines for like 8 years and last 4 years in Jurong. The thing I miss the most about east is the beaches, we used to go to Changi and ECP quite often. From Jurong, the nearest in Sentosa and it is a pain to get there by public transport and now you need to book a slot online, how times have changed. :(

What we like about the west is the greenery, and the open spaces, Jurong lake gardens is awesome.

Malls are pretty much similar in both east and west. But the crowd is very different. In the east there are lots of Indian IT workers. In the west it is mostly locals, PRs. I used to bump into so many known people in Tampines. But in Jurong, almost nobody from my workplace live. They all have this feeling that Jurong is far, which is crazy, because our office is in the city and it is of the same distance from Changi or Jurong.
We’ve also got West Coast Park, but yes, not many beaches at all.