Singapore Expats Forum

Moving to Singapore to work as technician in petrochemical industry realistic?

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
Che777

Moving to Singapore to work as technician in petrochemical industry realistic?

Post by Che777 » Wed, 13 Jan 2021 4:36 am

Hello,

I keep it as short as possible: I am 28 years old and have been working as a chemical technician in Germany for around 3 years. I have a certification by a german educational institute that I am a certified chemical technician. It is not a university degree. My job here involves supervising chemical manufacturing processes and operate as a technician. It is definitely a blue collar job but anyways also here big companies here (like BASF, Bayer) require a certification/qualification to work in that position.

Do you think I can find a job like that in Singapore?
I have found job advertisements that match me but I’m not sure if an employer would go through that employment Pass to hire me because it is not a ‚high skilled‘ position like manager or banker.

Where should I start? Should I find a recruitment agency or apply directly to a company?
Maybe you have some tips for me.

Is my plan even realistic or are there maybe some problems I don’t know about yet like no demand, only citizens etc.

Thank you in advance

PNGMK
Governor
Governor

Re: Moving to Singapore to work as technician in petrochemical industry realistic?

Post by PNGMK » Thu, 14 Jan 2021 7:32 am

No. No chance. This is a field dominated by locals and Malaysians. Even if you found a job the wage would be too low to be liveable or the MOM won't issue a work pass for a foreigner.

There are FIVE local polytechs pumping out technicians every 6 months. There is no lack of qualified techs here for this work.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

Che777

Re: Moving to Singapore to work as technician in petrochemical industry realistic?

Post by Che777 » Mon, 18 Jan 2021 6:09 pm

PNGMK wrote:
Thu, 14 Jan 2021 7:32 am
No. No chance. This is a field dominated by locals and Malaysians. Even if you found a job the wage would be too low to be liveable or the MOM won't issue a work pass for a foreigner.

There are FIVE local polytechs pumping out technicians every 6 months. There is no lack of qualified techs here for this work.
So I guess I can forget about that?

What do you think would be the wage? Because you say it's too little to live by.

I put quit some hope into this idea so your answer is very discouraging to me :(

But better that I know the truth than having wrong hopes.

From what I read so far, seems that I will be constantly discriminated as a immigrant worker..
Would I ever have a chance to get a PR?

PNGMK
Governor
Governor

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 18 Jan 2021 7:18 pm

just above s pass level so they can hire Malaysians. 2.5 to 3.5 k per month. Pauper's wages.

you need to be on an EP to get a PR but the chances are low unless you are chinese race.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

Max Headroom
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Max Headroom » Mon, 18 Jan 2021 7:29 pm

Che, I'm afraid it's true, it's become a fair bit harder to get any kind of long-term permit to stay in Singapore. This applies even more now during the Covid era of course.

That said, you're odds are likely to improve after you've climbed a few career rungs, so why not make it a 5 year plan?

Incidentally, can I ask, what is it that draws you to Singapore? Why Singapore?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 1

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 18 Jan 2021 7:40 pm

Probably yellow fever. I caught it once in 1966 got over it by the end of 77. Had a relapse in '82 and still haven't gotten rid of it this time. :mrgreen: :cool: :lol: I've been told it's terminal this time.

Mal knows what I'm talkin' 'bout! :lol: