Singapore Expats

Fishing?

Discuss about food, eating places, shopping centres, clubs, pubs, massage, sports, travel & holidays. Share tips on best place to chill, party, relax or travel destinations.
zachpope

Fishing?

Post by zachpope » Mon, 06 Feb 2012 9:34 pm

Anyone either interested or experienced in fishing in SG or neighboring areas? I will be looking into a variety of different fishing excursions and am open to company if anyones interested. I would also thoroughly appreciate any tips or advice if you have any!
Cheers,
Zach

Grumpy77
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Grumpy77 » Tue, 07 Feb 2012 5:42 pm

Hi Zach,

I fish locally in the reservoirs, as well as doing trips to the deep blue for food and photo ops.

Also do a few trips to Bkk each yr for the big Amazon catch n release.

If you want to grab a beer and chat about some upcoming trips, feel free to let me know.

Cheers, Stephen

zachpope

Post by zachpope » Thu, 09 Feb 2012 12:16 pm

Stephen,
Doesn't look like I can PM yet, but I'd be up for grabbing a beer and talking fishing. I'll probably be getting some gear this weekend. Send me an email at [email protected] and we can set something up. Looking forward to it. -Zach

Grumpy77
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Grumpy77 » Thu, 09 Feb 2012 4:15 pm

One more post and you should be there for PM activation.

Here's a good leading question to get you over the hump. What kind of fishing is of interest to you?

Fresh, salt, spinning, baitcast, bottom bashing, jigging, fly? Until you know what you want to do and what is mandatory vs optional, I'd suggest you don't go into a shop as they will try to sell you EVERYTHING.

Go slow on that unless you have a trip on the immediate horizon. Also suggest you look at used equipment if you don't have an aversion. Fishingkaki.com community has a mind-numbing amount of gear for sale. If you have time to scan, good to excellent deals can be found and you can meet up with local fisher-folk while at it.

I work in Raffles Place, live out west. If you are free after work Friday, that's as good a time for a beer as any. Else suggest a time.

zachpope

Post by zachpope » Thu, 09 Feb 2012 4:42 pm

Awesome. Thanks for the advice. As for fishing type, with so much around, im slightly overwhelmed with the options. I come from the US Midwest, fishing for predatory species like Bass and Northerns with anything from top water baits to bottom jigs. Open to all kinds, but figured I would get gear more towards that arena and find the suitable areas.

Anyway, Im free Friday after work, and would be up for grabbing a beer to discuss and get some input. Living in the East, meeting around Raffles would be preferable, but Id be up for either. Maybe 7p? Let me know what works. -Zach

Grumpy77
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Grumpy77 » Fri, 10 Feb 2012 9:05 am

You are going to be pleasantly suprised at the bass fishing here in Sg. Peacock's aren't real bass, amazon Cichlids actually, but same fishing style. And they are getting pretty big, up to 5kg.

I do well on the fly, but there are few places that work with the dense jungle impeding the back-cast. So the baitcast crowd has the best opportunity to jungle-bash and hunt for lunkers.

Sent a PM with hp number, I'll be at BQ Bar on boat quay at 7pm, about 100m in from OUB. Easy place to meet, let me know if you don't/can't get the pm.

AngelJoy
Chatter
Chatter

Post by AngelJoy » Mon, 30 Apr 2012 2:27 pm

hahah i dont fish but my dad's a super fan.

well,just saying.

snowysummer

Post by snowysummer » Fri, 04 May 2012 3:10 pm

Its better that you head out to the waters of indonesia of malaysia where you can really trawl and grab bigger catch. Go google for companies that arrange such trips, not to be missed.

NewSpace

Post by NewSpace » Thu, 10 May 2012 2:27 pm

Hi Guys,
Im a fishing fanatic. Use to write for a already dysfunc local fishing magazine. Nowadays, I either surfcasting at the beaches, luring along the coastline or go to paypond.

Can arrange to meet someday.

Tsilivi
Regular
Regular

Post by Tsilivi » Thu, 21 Jun 2012 10:24 pm

Hey. I'm about to return to Singapore with two fishing rods I have no idea how to use. Used to enjoy fishing with my Dad but he would set up my rods. Do you know of any fishing school type places? I'm kinda thinking if I just turn up with my rod and some bait somebody might take time out to show me how to set up but if there's some kind of class I'd be interested. Really missed fishing. Have found a quiet spot on Ubin I might try out first. Tips appreciated!