Singapore Expats

Fish Restaurants

Discuss about food, eating places, shopping centres, clubs, pubs, massage, sports, travel & holidays. Share tips on best place to chill, party, relax or travel destinations.
StephenJonesPonty

Fish Restaurants

Post by StephenJonesPonty » Sun, 18 Sep 2022 6:48 pm

We are visiting Singapore - arriving this coming Saturday - for a two week stay that will include the F1 weekend. We are staying close to Orchard Road (hotel Jen Tanglin)

Can anyone recommend any good fish restaurants.

We have already been to Sg several times and are well used to using the MRT system so distance is no particular issue.

Thanks in advance,
Steve
Lover of Singapore - visited many times - looking to live there.

YYCole
Regular
Regular

Re: Fish Restaurants

Post by YYCole » Sun, 18 Sep 2022 8:56 pm

If you like Chinese style, Riverside Grilled Fish (Have both spicy or non spicy). Multiple locations. Raffles City (just nice for your F1), or Vivo City.

Else Greenwood Fish Market is also not a bad option. (It is at bukit timah or Sentosa)

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Post by Lisafuller » Sun, 18 Sep 2022 9:36 pm

StephenJonesPonty wrote:
Sun, 18 Sep 2022 6:48 pm
We are visiting Singapore - arriving this coming Saturday - for a two week stay that will include the F1 weekend. We are staying close to Orchard Road (hotel Jen Tanglin)

Can anyone recommend any good fish restaurants.

We have already been to Sg several times and are well used to using the MRT system so distance is no particular issue.

Thanks in advance,
Steve
You’ve got to check out No Signboard Seafood (this is the name). Really fresh, and prepared a variety of ways. A little pricey though, but I think it’s well worth it. How long are you staying? Hotel Jen is awesome.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 18 Sep 2022 11:09 pm

YYCole wrote:
Sun, 18 Sep 2022 8:56 pm
Else Greenwood Fish Market is also not a bad option. (It is at bukit timah or Sentosa)
Regarding the Bukit Timah location, unless you are a hiker and like an uphill trek to build up a sweat getting there from MRT on the main road, you would need to take a taxi (best bet). Don't drive as parking is a B**ch! it is surrounded by old bungalows and duplex housing and VERY narrow streets. The one parking lot there is totally insufficient. However, having said that I ate there recently, July, I think. and the food, was decent but not impressive enough to go for a repeat performance. Also, they have heaps of different fare but you need to ask (preferably by calling before you make a trip up there as it seems that due to covid/russia/china, etc. their actual selection of seafood is considerably less that what is on their menu. I used to walk up and down Watten Estates twice a day back in 1982 but I was in my late 30's and still in my prime.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

StephenJonesPonty

Post by StephenJonesPonty » Sun, 18 Sep 2022 11:24 pm

Thanks for all of the replies.
Greatly appreciated.

Steve

malcontent
Manager
Manager
Answers: 8

Post by malcontent » Sun, 18 Sep 2022 11:30 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Sun, 18 Sep 2022 11:09 pm
YYCole wrote:
Regarding the Bukit Timah location, unless you are a hiker and like an uphill trek to build up a sweat getting there from MRT on the main road, you would need to take a taxi (best bet). Don't drive as parking is a B**ch! it is surrounded by old bungalows and duplex housing and VERY narrow streets. The one parking lot there is totally insufficient. However, having said that I ate there recently, July, I think. and the food, was decent but not impressive enough to go for a repeat performance. Also, they have heaps of different fare but you need to ask (preferably by calling before you make a trip up there as it seems that due to covid/russia/china, etc. their actual selection of seafood is considerably less that what is on their menu. I used to walk up and down Watten Estates twice a day back in 1982 but I was in my late 30's and still in my prime.
^^ This, I have been to Greenwood many times, the only way to have any chance to park there is to come at an odd hour, and even then, no guarantees. I’ve only eaten at Greenwood Fish Market once. Quality is good, but for the price, it just isn’t great value for money IMO, so I haven’t been back.
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Tue, 20 Sep 2022 2:17 am

YYCole wrote:
If you like Chinese style, Riverside Grilled Fish (Have both spicy or non spicy). Multiple locations. Raffles City (just nice for your F1), or Vivo City.

When you say Chinese style do you mean something like ChongQing grilled fish? Or something more local.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Tue, 20 Sep 2022 2:19 am

YYCole wrote:
Yes!! Parking is absolutely horrible. Lucky for me I have a friend living along Linden Drive so I’m able to park in their garage when necessary but even then it’s too much of a hassle.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Tue, 20 Sep 2022 2:20 am

malcontent wrote:
Sun, 18 Sep 2022 11:30 pm
YYCole wrote:
^^ This, I have been to Greenwood many times, the only way to have any chance to park there is to come at an odd hour, and even then, no guarantees. I’ve only eaten at Greenwood Fish Market once. Quality is good, but for the price, it just isn’t great value for money IMO, so I haven’t been back.
Have you tried Rubato? Along the same stretch. Really famous Italian food, but crazy expensive.

BBCDoc
Chatter
Chatter

Post by BBCDoc » Sat, 24 Sep 2022 1:01 pm

I was very impressed by the fisherman stew at Sentosa Greenwood FM.

Turf City had some good restaurants upstairs too, where you can choose your food from the tanks and tell them how to cook it, always good to have a group of people to enjoy a good diversity of dishes.

Don’t go to Smith’s for Fish and Chips…rip off

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There's always room for one more

YYCole
Regular
Regular

Post by YYCole » Sun, 25 Sep 2022 3:35 pm

Lisafuller wrote:
Tue, 20 Sep 2022 2:17 am
YYCole wrote:

When you say Chinese style do you mean something like ChongQing grilled fish? Or something more local.
Yeah i meant ChongQing Grilled Fish. Not Singaporean style

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Mon, 26 Sep 2022 2:20 am

BBCDoc wrote:
Sat, 24 Sep 2022 1:01 pm
I was very impressed by the fisherman stew at Sentosa Greenwood FM.

Turf City had some good restaurants upstairs too, where you can choose your food from the tanks and tell them how to cook it, always good to have a group of people to enjoy a good diversity of dishes.

Don’t go to Smith’s for Fish and Chips…rip off

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have nothing against Smith’s but I must agree. They are overpriced - lad and dad has far better fish and chips.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Mon, 26 Sep 2022 2:21 am

YYCole wrote:
Sun, 25 Sep 2022 3:35 pm
Lisafuller wrote:
Tue, 20 Sep 2022 2:17 am
YYCole wrote:

Yeah i meant ChongQing Grilled Fish. Not Singaporean style
Got it, for ChongQing style fish I like TanYu.

StephenJonesPonty

Post by StephenJonesPonty » Thu, 06 Oct 2022 9:22 am

Thanks All.
We are still in Singapore (going home on Saturday 8th October)

Steve

abbby
Manager
Manager
Answers: 2

Post by abbby » Thu, 06 Oct 2022 10:49 am

You can try red house seafood restaurant at esplanade/grand copthorne. You can also try their chilli crabs/pepper crabs.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made. - Groucho Marx (1890-1977)