Singapore Expats Forum

Going on holiday - how to prevent mold in the apartment?

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.

Sponsored by:

AE Logistics - Singapore Movers
User avatar
aargon
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 259
Joined: Sun, 20 Sep 2009 6:10 pm

Going on holiday - how to prevent mold in the apartment?

Post by aargon » Thu, 15 Nov 2012 4:11 am

I went away for two weeks last month, locked up the apartment and closed the curtains - biggest mistake of my life. Came home with a new coat of mold on all our furniture.

Heading away again - this time for one month in Dec! so scared shitless on what I will be coming home to - especially given its the stupidly wet and humid season here.


Aside from leaving all the windows open, and opening the curtains to let in as much sunlight as I can, I`m also toying with the idea of buying a fan with an auto timer (can you actually buy one that turns on daily at a set time?) so I can ventilate the rooms as much as possible.

Anyone have any other useful ideas????
Everybody was KungFu Fighting.....

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 12:43 pm
Location: K. Puki Manis

Post by JR8 » Thu, 15 Nov 2012 5:10 am

Timer switches like this...

http://www.google.co.uk/products/catalo ... CGUQ8wIwAA

p.s. We had mold too. Real problem. Once you have it you can never seem to get rid of it, just sort of hold it in abeyance via light and ventilation as you suggest.

User avatar
the lynx
Governor
Governor
Posts: 5274
Joined: Thu, 09 Dec 2010 6:29 pm
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Thu, 15 Nov 2012 8:32 am

Or get plenty of those dehumidifiers. Either electrical ones or Thirsty Hippos.

User avatar
aargon
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 259
Joined: Sun, 20 Sep 2009 6:10 pm

Post by aargon » Thu, 15 Nov 2012 9:32 am

JR8 wrote:Timer switches like this...

http://www.google.co.uk/products/catalo ... CGUQ8wIwAA

p.s. We had mold too. Real problem. Once you have it you can never seem to get rid of it, just sort of hold it in abeyance via light and ventilation as you suggest.
Thats a great idea. Just not sure if its safe using these things while we are away for such a long period of time. Call me cynical but I am worried of buying a faulty switch/fan and burning the apartment down...
Everybody was KungFu Fighting.....

User avatar
aargon
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 259
Joined: Sun, 20 Sep 2009 6:10 pm

Post by aargon » Thu, 15 Nov 2012 10:02 am

the lynx wrote:Or get plenty of those dehumidifiers. Either electrical ones or Thirsty Hippos.
dehumidifiers you need to empty out the water regularly - we`re away for 3 weeks so its not going to be much help.

Thirsty Hippos are a good idea - but again not sure about longevity.
Everybody was KungFu Fighting.....

User avatar
x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9409
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009 4:06 pm
Location: Singapore

Post by x9200 » Thu, 15 Nov 2012 10:18 am

aargon wrote:
JR8 wrote:Timer switches like this...

http://www.google.co.uk/products/catalo ... CGUQ8wIwAA

p.s. We had mold too. Real problem. Once you have it you can never seem to get rid of it, just sort of hold it in abeyance via light and ventilation as you suggest.
Thats a great idea. Just not sure if its safe using these things while we are away for such a long period of time. Call me cynical but I am worried of buying a faulty switch/fan and burning the apartment down...
It is safe. I am using them all year 'round. Go to any DIY store and they have at least 2-3 different types: electronic ones ~$20-40 and mechanical (as in the above link) ~$15. Ikea also sells (or used to) the mechanical ones.

User avatar
taxico
Director
Director
Posts: 3201
Joined: Sat, 10 May 2008 6:05 pm
Location: Existential dilemma!

Post by taxico » Thu, 15 Nov 2012 10:19 am

if your air-cons are programmable, running it on "dry" will help keep the growth in check.

User avatar
the lynx
Governor
Governor
Posts: 5274
Joined: Thu, 09 Dec 2010 6:29 pm
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Thu, 15 Nov 2012 10:24 am

aargon wrote:
the lynx wrote:Or get plenty of those dehumidifiers. Either electrical ones or Thirsty Hippos.
dehumidifiers you need to empty out the water regularly - we`re away for 3 weeks so its not going to be much help.

Thirsty Hippos are a good idea - but again not sure about longevity.
Not sure how bad is your humidity issue.

Just use one unit in every wardrobe, cabinet or near furniture. The trick is to peel half of the foil (instead of the whole thing) before placing the plastic cover on top, so that it won't end up absorbing too quickly.

User avatar
ev-disinfection
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 459
Joined: Fri, 18 Dec 2009 4:37 pm
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Post by ev-disinfection » Sat, 17 Nov 2012 4:52 am

Hi Guys,
There are De Humidifiers that comes with a PVC pipe attachment in the back of the machine, which drains the water into the floor trap.
(Novita.com.sg is a local brand that i always recommend)

Take note that the De-Humidifier / thirsty Hippos / Sun will not eliminate the mold spores but will stop or slow down it's growth.

Hope this helps....Be Well
Terence

User avatar
Brah
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1965
Joined: Sat, 18 Dec 2010 2:59 pm

Post by Brah » Sun, 18 Nov 2012 6:10 pm

I had big problems with mold in my last apartment.

Since then I run a dehumidifier every night in my bedroom a few hours before sleep. Before a trip I run it more often and longer. Also use hippos, but all of these ways are better as a practice not just in the case of when away.

When away I do as taxico said, program the air cons in each room for 2 hours a day, separate times each. Works pretty well. In some rooms I open the closet doors.

Leather stuff you may want to put in a place where there is sunlight but not too direct, such as a place where it's sunny only a short time, or near a window with translucent curtains.

Then there are those dry boxes for electrical and photo kit you can buy.

User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8337
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009 11:23 pm
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children

Post by nakatago » Sun, 18 Nov 2012 9:24 pm

Brah wrote:
Then there are those dry boxes for electrical and photo kit you can buy.
They're called dry boxes.

User avatar
x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9409
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009 4:06 pm
Location: Singapore

Post by x9200 » Sun, 18 Nov 2012 10:18 pm

...or dry cabinets for more practical sizes.

User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8337
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009 11:23 pm
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children

Post by nakatago » Sun, 18 Nov 2012 10:22 pm

D'oh. It's right there on Brah's post.

I've been sober too long. I need a drink. :P

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 36258
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 1:26 pm
Location: Retired on the Little Red Dot

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 18 Nov 2012 11:00 pm

Save it for this coming Friday night! :cool:

canadamba
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue, 20 Nov 2012 10:36 am
Location: Singapore

Post by canadamba » Tue, 20 Nov 2012 10:55 am

Need a house sitter?

Post Reply


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Staying, Living in Singapore”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests