Singapore Expats

EP Holder Pregnant with Married Singaporean

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: EP Holder Pregnant with Married Singaporean

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 05 Mar 2015 9:25 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:I wasn't conflicted at all..... :???: :cool:
I conflicted myself .. Image

As usual .....

tom_box

Post by tom_box » Sun, 08 Mar 2015 12:37 pm

Sorry to jump in, but after reading this I wonder, if in the birth certificate the father of the child is listed and he is a SC, it is as much his child ans hers, isn't it? So would it not be possible for the man himself (who is a SC) to apply for his child to get the SC? Even regarding the counseling and advice, the man himself (who is a SC) could go to the relevant agencies to ask for advice himself --- if he is as supportive as claimed.

A further thing would be if he would become a legal guardian of the child, i.e the mother would surrender her rights to be legal guardian of the minor. Thus, taking the mother out of the equation completely. Thus, even though he is not married, he is a SC and he has his own child that is legally under his care. I can't imagine that the government would not grant his own child, under his care a citizenship or PR.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Sun, 08 Mar 2015 1:13 pm

tom_box wrote:Sorry to jump in, but after reading this I wonder, if in the birth certificate the father of the child is listed and he is a SC, it is as much his child ans hers, isn't it? So would it not be possible for the man himself (who is a SC) to apply for his child to get the SC? Even regarding the counseling and advice, the man himself (who is a SC) could go to the relevant agencies to ask for advice himself --- if he is as supportive as claimed.
my 2 cents, there is nothing stopping placing x, y or z as father, in the Birth certificate, seen that enough of times.

Getting SC retrospectively is very tough now, vs earlier days.

The relevant agencies, yes, they are supposed to help, but will look at the case with heavily tinted glasses.

As for your next paragraph, not a bad idea, though I am again sure SG Inc has tightened such loopholes too ..

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 08 Mar 2015 1:39 pm

Sadly, in today's Singapore, things get abused and then the government tends to solve all piss-ant problems with a 12 lb sledge hammer. It doesn't matter whether paternity has been established and registered here. What matters is the fact that the union is a legal one.

Singapore is a very pragmatic country, to the point of obstinacy about certain things. From their point of view, unless there is a legal obligation/union. Then, by law, the father cannot be held for support of the child. therefore, there is always the chance of the child becoming a ward of the state. This, in their eyes, is unacceptable as this means the taxpayer will have to support them. It's rather cruel, but at the same time, if the father of the child was man enough to impregnate her, then he should be man enough to accept the responsibility of marrying the woman. The fact that he is already married with children, means he is already not the dependable sort so the government is wise not to allow this. Hard, like I said, but pragmatic at the same time.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers