Singapore Expats

Visa extension - more than 90 days ?

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
Zeke

Visa extension - more than 90 days ?

Post by Zeke » Sun, 08 Jun 2014 6:15 pm

Hello all

Parents are coming to visit me next week. Most likely they are going to get 90 days as they are from an EU country.

Is it possible to stay more than 90 days if they want to?

They can change their return date at no cost.

taxico
Director
Director

Re: Visa extension - more than 90 days ?

Post by taxico » Sun, 08 Jun 2014 8:11 pm

Zeke wrote:Hello all

Parents are coming to visit me next week. Most likely they are going to get 90 days as they are from an EU country.

Is it possible to stay more than 90 days if they want to?

They can change their return date at no cost.
i'm gonna say it's possible, but probably not for another 90 days. i don't see any harm in trying as long as your parents don't run afoul of any laws (working, etc).

// the EU's a big community - which country?

not to offend anyone but i daresay due to different profiles applied, someone from say bulgaria might be treated slightly at passport control compared to another person from... benelux (as of 2014)
Aut viam ad caelum inveniam aut faciam

Zeke

Post by Zeke » Sun, 08 Jun 2014 10:24 pm

I understand you! After a quick research i found this from wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visa_policy_of_Singapore

Anyways i checked and for my country they allow 90 days.

Question is will they give to my parents a 90 days visa on the spot when they arrive? Or they will get the standard 30 days visa and then i have to extent online to 90? If the latter sounds a bit difficult to extent for second time...even for an extra week...

Any thoughts?

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Mon, 09 Jun 2014 12:28 am

The visa might say 90d multiple entry visa or something to that effect, but in reality one is permitted to stay only for 30d and then you have to apply for a visa extension online for another 30d.
there is no visa extension possible for a second time I believe ( correct me I am wrong ) , the person must then exit the country for a period of seven days and then can come back in, I know some people go to bintan,johor for a day or two and try to come back, but immigration may suspect you are a visa runner and then possibly even deny your next visa application.
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Mon, 09 Jun 2014 1:25 am

rajagainstthemachine wrote:The visa might say 90d multiple entry visa or something to that effect, but in reality one is permitted to stay only for 30d and then you have to apply for a visa extension online for another 30d.
there is no visa extension possible for a second time I believe ( correct me I am wrong ) , the person must then exit the country for a period of seven days and then can come back in, I know some people go to bintan,johor for a day or two and try to come back, but immigration may suspect you are a visa runner and then possibly even deny your next visa application.
Not at all correct. If ICA stamps their passport with a 90 day SVP, they can stay 90 days. No ins or outs needed. Also note most countries don't need actual visas to come to Singapore; a big exception being India and thus the above might be your experience with an actual visa.

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Mon, 09 Jun 2014 7:25 am

zzm9980 wrote:
rajagainstthemachine wrote:The visa might say 90d multiple entry visa or something to that effect, but in reality one is permitted to stay only for 30d and then you have to apply for a visa extension online for another 30d.
Not at all correct. If ICA stamps their passport with a 90 day SVP, they can stay 90 days. No ins or outs needed. Also note most countries don't need actual visas to come to Singapore; a big exception being India and thus the above might be your experience with an actual visa.
I wasn't referring to India actually, it was a other European country but not part of the EU, I knew someone from there who was on a job finding mission who ended up with a visa rejection later

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Mon, 09 Jun 2014 11:08 am

No one in the EU needs a visa to enter:
http://www.ica.gov.sg/page.aspx?pageid=96

Any country not on that list gets an SVP stamp on entry. Most EU countries get 90 days, and they can stay the entire time. Not hop in and out for chops.

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Mon, 09 Jun 2014 11:29 am

I somehow read this as Non EU instead of EU so my apologies for the error.

AngMoG
Reporter
Reporter

Post by AngMoG » Mon, 09 Jun 2014 1:34 pm

Unless there's a child that needs to be taken care of - what are they going to do in Singapore for 90 days?! Not to offend anyone, but it is not the most interesting (nor the cheapest) country around. You can see everything there is too see in less than a week (and that is already stretching it).

Note that the stamp you get on entry is essentially an on-arrival, single-entry tourist visa. Which means every time they enter and exit, it will be a new stamp = new visa. If they stay in Singapore 90 days non-stop, it should not be an issue to extend by exiting, staying away for a few days and re-entering, but one cannot do that too often. Alternatively, one can apply for an extension (i.e., stay in Singapore), but again, that's up to the ICA to grant or not.

On re-entry, they may get another 90 days, another 30 days, or 7-14 days, depending on how the immigration officer decides.

durain
Director
Director

Post by durain » Mon, 09 Jun 2014 6:34 pm

just dont expect another 90 days when you go over to JB. you probably will get a 30 days visa at the causeway.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 09 Jun 2014 7:34 pm

Unless it's your third visa run, then you will probably get three days. Enough for you to pack yer bags and buy a plane ticket. You will also need to spend at least 6 months out of the country if that happens (and the probability is very high that it will happen).
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Mon, 09 Jun 2014 7:48 pm

Why would they wish to stay in SG as tourists for more than 90 days, when most visitors stay an average of just 2.5days?

You might give this some thought (in advance of being asked), as for sure ICA will be pondering the same question.

durain
Director
Director

Post by durain » Mon, 09 Jun 2014 7:58 pm

JR8 wrote:Why would they wish to stay in SG as tourists for more than 90 days, when most visitors stay an average of just 2.5days?
unless some visitors need extra days for visiting orchard towers again and again :D

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Mon, 09 Jun 2014 9:41 pm

AngMoG wrote:Unless there's a child that needs to be taken care of - what are they going to do in Singapore for 90 days?! Not to offend anyone, but it is not the most interesting (nor the cheapest) country around. You can see everything there is too see in less than a week (and that is already stretching it)...
i think so long as the visitor is a bona fide tourist/business person (only partaking in activities that are allowed by immigration law and don't pack odd items in their bag), have proof of funds to finance their stay in the country, and an onward/return ticket, they should (and probably would) be allowed to reside in the country for the maximum allowed duration...

immigration officers are on the look out for possible persons that may break immigration laws, so don't give them a reason to keep you out/restrict your maximum duration of stay.
Aut viam ad caelum inveniam aut faciam

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Mon, 09 Jun 2014 11:12 pm

durain wrote:
JR8 wrote:Why would they wish to stay in SG as tourists for more than 90 days, when most visitors stay an average of just 2.5days?
unless some visitors need extra days for visiting orchard towers again and again :D

but isn't Thailand a better option than Orchard Towers?