Singapore Expats

Travel Ideas

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Tue, 11 Mar 2014 9:47 am

uscate is spot on about Siem Reap, and if you are thinking about going, let me know... I know the best, in town, original hotels... not the new monstrosities that have been built on the highway going to the airport.

Consider also simply renting motorbikes... easy to ride... catch a guide for cheap at any of the many temple sites.

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Tue, 11 Mar 2014 9:50 am

Strong Eagle wrote:uscate is spot on about Siem Reap, and if you are thinking about going, let me know... I know the best, in town, original hotels... not the new monstrosities that have been built on the highway going to the airport.

Consider also simply renting motorbikes... easy to ride... catch a guide for cheap at any of the many temple sites.
Oh SE, motorcycles are banned in Siem Reap. I'm not sure since when but it was in effect even before I backpacked there in 2011. Another option is to visit Phnom Penh, hire a bike, and ride it all the way to Siem Reap to be able to use it. They only ban renting from Siem Reap but not using it altogether.

My option was bicycle but my advice is to only use bicycles when you have a lot of time and you're on at least 3-day pass to Angkor Wat park. Otherwise hire a tuk-tuk for a day.

Girl_Next_Door
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Girl_Next_Door » Tue, 11 Mar 2014 10:34 am

I agree with Strong Eagle, give the travel agents a miss. Book your flights online, and you have ample budget airlines options to pick from, ranging from Tiger, Air Asia, Jetstar, Firefly, etc. For hotels, there are a lot of websites to pick as well, depending on your budget. Once you arrive in most SE asia cities, you should be able to get a cab to the hotel. The airport usually manages the cabs well, so they are either by meter or its a fixed rate (non-negotiable). In some cities, its worth taking a motorbike and ride a bit, get familiar with the city. Otherwise, if you have map out a few sites you want to go, you can negotiate with your taxi driver (from airport) to drive you around. At least you are in control of the agenda and food that you will be eating. You won't be dragged to some "souvenir" shops with over-priced gifts or mediocre restaurants.

Strong Eagle

Post by Strong Eagle » Tue, 11 Mar 2014 10:53 am

the lynx wrote:
Strong Eagle wrote:uscate is spot on about Siem Reap, and if you are thinking about going, let me know... I know the best, in town, original hotels... not the new monstrosities that have been built on the highway going to the airport.

Oh SE, motorcycles are banned in Siem Reap. I'm not sure since when but it was in effect even before I backpacked there in 2011. Another option is to visit Phnom Penh, hire a bike, and ride it all the way to Siem Reap to be able to use it. They only ban renting from Siem Reap but not using it altogether.

My option was bicycle but my advice is to only use bicycles when you have a lot of time and you're on at least 3-day pass to Angkor Wat park. Otherwise hire a tuk-tuk for a day.
That's mighty bizarre. Wife and I rented Honda Waves for about USD 5 per day... rode to so many places... easy to do with slow traffic, narrow roads meandering through the rain forest.

It looks like the tuk-tuk drivers and local mafia rather conspired to halt this practice. Too bad. I saw some posts that said hotels would "lend" you a bike.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 11 Mar 2014 11:24 am

Strong Eagle wrote:Hua Hin, Thailand, home of the King's summer home. Quaint, good eats, decent beach (although brown water here). Buddhist temple with thousands of rather tame monkey walking about. For extra fun, take the single engine Cessna Caravan from BKK.
+1 - good location - no a lot of prostitution either.

Strong Eagle

Post by Strong Eagle » Tue, 11 Mar 2014 12:34 pm

PNGMK wrote:
Strong Eagle wrote:Hua Hin, Thailand, home of the King's summer home. Quaint, good eats, decent beach (although brown water here). Buddhist temple with thousands of rather tame monkey walking about. For extra fun, take the single engine Cessna Caravan from BKK.
+1 - good location - no a lot of prostitution either.
Indeed... rather confined to a small area in the center of town with well defined boundaries. I suspect that being the king's summer residence has something to do with that.

TJ43

Post by TJ43 » Wed, 12 Mar 2014 7:41 pm

One of my favorite places is Bali!! Amazingly beautiful, reasonable prices, a great holiday all around! 8-)

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 12 Mar 2014 10:31 pm

Okay TJ, you have your five posts and your PM function has been activated. Can you please stop posting silly posts that serve no useful function. --moderator
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

thecookieguy

Post by thecookieguy » Sun, 20 Apr 2014 11:44 pm

Head to Hanoi if you'red up for something relaxing, if not, bangkok!

Dert42
Regular
Regular

Post by Dert42 » Mon, 21 Apr 2014 8:16 am

We just went to Krabi last weekend.
It was awesome! Lots to do. On the cheap side. Food was good and the people were kind.

AirAsia is 0 for 4 with being on time and 1 for 4 with destroying luggage and doing nothing about it.

triste
Regular
Regular

Post by triste » Mon, 21 Apr 2014 12:55 pm

First, everything that has been said of Siem Reap is true. It's a must visit with cheap, excellent food, reasonable hotels, and of course the fabulous temples. You can not rent motorbike anymore, it's true, but you can ride a tuk tuk all day for US $12 and your driver will wait for you while you tour the sights.

Second, I had a similar experience going to China out of US, slightly better than what has been described here, but still way too much shopping for my liking. We'd like to organize our own trip next time, but are concerned about the flights within China,

what airlines do people recommend or not recommend within China? Obviously I can't fly Jet Star from Beijing to Xi'an, though I wish I could!

Gizajob

Post by Gizajob » Thu, 01 May 2014 10:59 pm

I have flown many times in China on budget airlines.
They have all been of very good quality - just get booking, there's nothing to worry about.

If you're off to Beijing let me know if you want the number of a driver I use.
£80 all day - plays Mozart in his car while he drives to The Wall.