Singapore Expats Forum

Court Case against Condo Management

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.

Sponsored by:

AE Logistics - Singapore Movers
Post Reply
Mary Hinge
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri, 10 Jan 2020 2:35 pm

Court Case against Condo Management

Post by Mary Hinge » Fri, 10 Jan 2020 2:57 pm

Hello

Does anyone have any advice or experience of taking a condo management to court? We live out West and own an apartment but there is constant noise from the games room, common room and gym. We have told the MA, but they do nothing effective. I guess the Council doesn't care enough to fix the problem.

My family is disturbed every day, in early morning and late night. Don't the Management have By Laws regarding Noise from tenants, even in a condo common facility? MA have known about it for months and we are no closer to a fix. It is affecting our lives, our jobs, our kids and their sleep, as well as others living there. :???:

Is there any other way? Another mentioned mediation?

(Suggestions to 'simply' move not practical)

Xie xie ni
MH

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 36503
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 1:26 pm
Location: Retired on the Little Red Dot

Re: Court Case against Condo Management

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 10 Jan 2020 4:22 pm

Ear Plugs. (you already ruled out selling an moving). Guns are not allowed here.

User avatar
PNGMK
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6573
Joined: Thu, 21 Mar 2013 9:06 pm
Location: Sinkapore

Re: Court Case against Condo Management

Post by PNGMK » Fri, 10 Jan 2020 5:23 pm

1. Read your bylaws. IF there is a noise law insist it be enforced. Typically no noise after 10 and before 7 is the general rule. Call the police if the MA doesn't act outside those times.

2. IF your bylaws don't cover noise then call and EGM (20% of owners needed) and pass a motion to have a bylaw. You might also consider running for the MC and getting in to push this through.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 36503
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 1:26 pm
Location: Retired on the Little Red Dot

Re: Court Case against Condo Management

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 10 Jan 2020 8:28 pm

PNGMK, that exactly what I did when our RC, which is just below my unit, opened a Karaoke lounge. I couldn't get any satisfaction from the RC or the police, so I joined the RC and in 6 months had it closed. Stayed closed for 3 years. When we decided to reopen it, the KJ was informed that two office bearers of the RC lived just above (me and my neighbour) and would be monitoring it and if we complained he had to turn it down or we'd turn it off again. (I've been an RC member for over 11 years now). And yes, the Karaoke is shut down promptly at 10 and the volume is such that it is not intrusive and we can actually carry on a conversation in a normal tone of voice (not like our discussions at Eagles gatherings). ;-)

tiktok
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 193
Joined: Mon, 21 Jan 2019 5:04 pm

Re: Court Case against Condo Management

Post by tiktok » Fri, 10 Jan 2020 8:47 pm

MA, EGM, MC, RC, KJ... please explain to FOBs like me what they mean.
I not troll/wacko/spammer.
Me no expat. Me foreigner.

User avatar
singaporeflyer
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2141
Joined: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 9:49 am

Re: Court Case against Condo Management

Post by singaporeflyer » Fri, 10 Jan 2020 11:12 pm

tiktok wrote:
Fri, 10 Jan 2020 8:47 pm
MA, EGM, MC, RC, KJ... please explain to FOBs like me what they mean.
A bit of google with singapore included can help you.

Anyway, below is what I know in the above context

KJ - Karaoke Host
RC - Residents Committee
MA - Managing Agent of a condo
EGM - extraordinary general meeting ?

tiktok
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 193
Joined: Mon, 21 Jan 2019 5:04 pm

Re: Court Case against Condo Management

Post by tiktok » Fri, 10 Jan 2020 11:26 pm

Thanks. MC = medical certificate? They sure love them acronyms here :)
I not troll/wacko/spammer.
Me no expat. Me foreigner.

User avatar
singaporeflyer
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2141
Joined: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 9:49 am

Re: Court Case against Condo Management

Post by singaporeflyer » Fri, 10 Jan 2020 11:45 pm

tiktok wrote:
Fri, 10 Jan 2020 11:26 pm
Thanks. MC = medical certificate? They sure love them acronyms here :)
MC - Management corporation

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 36503
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 1:26 pm
Location: Retired on the Little Red Dot

Re: Court Case against Condo Management

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 11 Jan 2020 3:56 pm

And Medical Certificate. Both depending on the context in which it's used. The island cannot operate unless everything has an acronyms.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_S ... reviations This is already out of date. In fact, No matter when you look at it it will be out of date, even if only the next day.

Mary Hinge
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri, 10 Jan 2020 2:35 pm

Re: Court Case against Condo Management

Post by Mary Hinge » Sun, 12 Jan 2020 12:42 pm

PNGMK wrote:
Fri, 10 Jan 2020 5:23 pm
1. Read your bylaws. IF there is a noise law insist it be enforced. Typically no noise after 10 and before 7 is the general rule. Call the police if the MA doesn't act outside those times.

2. IF your bylaws don't cover noise then call and EGM (20% of owners needed) and pass a motion to have a bylaw. You might also consider running for the MC and getting in to push this through.
Thanks PNGMK.

1. I have requested the By Laws countless times, and not received them. Certain facilities are causing noise from 5am to 12am! I would hope i wouldn't need to call Police.

2. Sigh. Why do things have to be so difficult here? We heard such good things about efficiency and friendliness when we moved. Plus, the MC is controlled by a tiny group with a lot of proxy votes!

This is an issue that affects multiple residents. It looks like the MCST are in breach of government laws regarding noise. Anyone have any knowledge of what can be done to persuade them to do something without having to get lawyers involved?

User avatar
PNGMK
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6573
Joined: Thu, 21 Mar 2013 9:06 pm
Location: Sinkapore

Re: Court Case against Condo Management

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 13 Jan 2020 12:55 pm

1. BCA will have a copy of the by laws. Speak to them.
2. Proxy voting has been made MUCH harder. A voter can only present a max two proxies each, make sure you attend your AGM. Learn the procedures of how things are passed or not. The MC has more power than the MA.
3. Everything I've said above. Be careful when talking about lawsuits - the MC will use YOUR sinking fund to fight you back.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

Mary Hinge
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri, 10 Jan 2020 2:35 pm

Re: Court Case against Condo Management

Post by Mary Hinge » Mon, 13 Jan 2020 2:09 pm

PNGMK wrote:
Mon, 13 Jan 2020 12:55 pm
1. BCA will have a copy of the by laws. Speak to them.
2. Proxy voting has been made MUCH harder. A voter can only present a max two proxies each, make sure you attend your AGM. Learn the procedures of how things are passed or not. The MC has more power than the MA.
3. Everything I've said above. Be careful when talking about lawsuits - the MC will use YOUR sinking fund to fight you back.
Many thanks. Lucky there's no really hard headed people in this world who may try and fight their corner no matter how weak their stance is :-"

Mary Hinge
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri, 10 Jan 2020 2:35 pm

Re: Court Case against Condo Management

Post by Mary Hinge » Mon, 13 Jan 2020 2:11 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Fri, 10 Jan 2020 4:22 pm
Ear Plugs. (you already ruled out selling an moving). Guns are not allowed here.
I have those in use nightly. Bit harder for a baby though (and they are not very friendly passing young throats).

However, feeling like someone is trying to knock through your bedroom walls, floor and ceiling with a sledgehammer between 5am and midnight means that even the deaf would feel the vibrations that we suffer.

Mary Hinge
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri, 10 Jan 2020 2:35 pm

Re: Court Case against Condo Management

Post by Mary Hinge » Tue, 14 Jan 2020 4:00 pm

singaporeflyer wrote:
Fri, 10 Jan 2020 11:12 pm
tiktok wrote:
Fri, 10 Jan 2020 8:47 pm
MA, EGM, MC, RC, KJ... please explain to FOBs like me what they mean.
A bit of google with singapore included can help you.

Anyway, below is what I know in the above context

KJ - Karaoke Host
RC - Residents Committee
MA - Managing Agent of a condo
EGM - extraordinary general meeting ?
FOB? :? (fresh off?)

Post Reply


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Staying, Living in Singapore”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest