SINGAPORE EXPATS FORUM
Singapore Expat Forum and Message Board for Expats in Singapore & Expatriates Relocating to Singapore
Search found 3 matches
Search found 3 matches • Page 1 of 1
- Mon, 01 Jul 2019 2:23 am
- Forum: Strictly Speaking
- Topic: Don't want to renounce Singapore citizenship
- Replies: 9
- Views: 3770
1. Renouncing US citizenship has severe tax consequences. 2. If you renounce US citizenship, you will have a (very) hard time getting green card again. The IRS is no less strict with regards to tax evasion than Mindef is to NS evasion. Renouncing US citizenship is automatically assumed to be tax eva...
- Mon, 01 Jul 2019 1:55 am
- Forum: National Service
- Topic: Can I be exempted from NS?
- Replies: 12
- Views: 1543
Parent sponsorship doesn't matter. As long as get PR before 18, need to do NS. Eg. when I was in school, back when policy was lax, some of those who come to study and live with "foster" families got PR with invitation letter from ICA, still need to do NS. You can cancel any time, even half way throu...
- Mon, 01 Jul 2019 1:20 am
- Forum: PR, Citizenship, Passes & Visas for Foreigners
- Topic: Need advice on citizenship
- Replies: 7
- Views: 2019
I find it shocking that doing NS no longer guarantees citizenship. I definitely would not have got citizenship without the accelerated program, given my performance during NS. Wonder how do second gen PR justify doing NS nowadays? I cannot imagine having one's immigration status left in limbo for so...