Singapore Expats

PR rejected 2013

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
Priyaamies

Re: PR rejected 2013

Post by Priyaamies » Thu, 26 Feb 2015 11:43 pm

SMS,

Should we wait to reapply or just not apply at all after this?
Give me an opinion.

Thanks

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Fri, 27 Feb 2015 6:03 am

Priyaamies wrote:SMS,

Give me an opinion.

Thanks
I think the answer is pretty clear. The question is, do you want to hear it or do you only want to hear what you want?
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Fri, 27 Feb 2015 8:04 am

what I don't understand about this government is, the rules are not clearly set, and it's unfair to someone who genuinely wants to settle down here. Other countries have better visibility in their residency rules.
I am not anything to do with Immigration or such thing, but on an average, I get a dozen queries from distant relatives, friends, and such, asking how they can 'boost' their chance of getting PR in SG, and 9 out of them are asking to setup base here for business

Now if the rules were very transparent, what would these folks do ? they will tailor everything to win 'points' - yep, I know like a decade ago a guy who wanted to move to Australia re-manufactured his past experience to suit what gave highest points, and got in. Singapore is too crowded, and being too transparent may only help those who want a base for whatever good or nefarious reason, to exploit the system, I believe, and that why ICA is very stingy in even explaining why the PR is rejected.
MPs cannot do anything. Trust me. A lot have tried. Including my PAP card carrying boss for a member of his own family. I tried years ago using two different MPs of a 3 year span and a Mayor as well. To no avail.
They will graciously write a letter so as not to disappoint you, but they already know the score.
Exactly, seen it too many times, that I suggest going to MP if you want to feel good, unless you have a real great case that ICA had overlooked.

as I mentioned long time ago, the only personal case I recall the MP letter worked is a guy who had awards from MHA, 25 year NCSS (or was it MCYS ? ) award, who's REP was refused, and the MP wrote a letter and ICA reviewed his case favourably. All others, nothing happens, other than ICA already having made up their mind, possibly, just looked at it and still decided NO !
we want to live in Singapore because it's a safe and secure country. We have both had offers in the US and other countries, but we would very much like to stay here.
I shouldn't say this, but this kind of "we got offer from US", nowadays doesn't bode well with the natives, the natives who are willing to foresake economic growth over crowding !!

Unfortunately, a lot of people want to be in Singapore, and that, forget India, I may easily estimate a few hundred thousand Filipinos, Indonesian and the likes, for a start. But this little Red Dot is too cramped.

As for Appeal/Re-applying, if you are that desperate, do what you like, but don't have high expectations, unless you can rebrand yourself or your husband as a scientist, technologist or something on that lines
Priyaamies wrote:Nope. For us stability is important than the money. Because he got several offers with other banks. Also he is in Compliance domain. Not technical
I am not belittling the folks in ICA, but I have seen for a fact, for them, BANK is all they see, not what side of banking. How would Compliance in a bank be different from Banking IT ? Is that a job that can never be moved out of Singapore ?

What gives ? What if the bank itself moves everything out of Singapore ?

I know a bank contractor, from occupying 5 floors in a building, have shrunk to 1 floor, the others all being moved to another Asian country, and that includes non-citizens of that country as well.

PS, actually, I am convinced that 9 out of 10 Sub-continent folks applying for PR is not much their love for Singapore, but .. vs US or Australia, how close Singapore is to "HOME" !!!
Last edited by ecureilx on Fri, 27 Feb 2015 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Fri, 27 Feb 2015 8:05 am

nakatago wrote:
Priyaamies wrote:SMS,

Give me an opinion.

Thanks
I think the answer is pretty clear. The question is, do you want to hear it or do you only want to hear what you want?
Or more like since OP decided what to do, do YOU want to say it ?? :D :D

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Fri, 27 Feb 2015 8:46 am

Priya, read carefully every word that SMS and Ecureilx have written. Sadly, no matter how big shot high flyer you think your husband is, there are 10s of 1000s of Indians in similar or better profile, yes better than compliance, infact compliance is just the need of the hour, once banks have their systems in place, these jobs are the 1st to go, as they only add to cost and don't generate revenue. Also there is a big big push to increase locals in banking. Just absorb this.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Fri, 27 Feb 2015 9:20 am

in fact, the only sure-win solution for PR is if you go under the "investor" scheme !!

Just save up for the required amount !

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Fri, 27 Feb 2015 9:27 am

That VP from Deutsche bank, Sambath Kannan's comment on facebook, and the witch hunt that followed, didn't make it any better for us, either :(

Priyaamies

Post by Priyaamies » Fri, 27 Feb 2015 10:28 am

Thanks all for your replies.
Appreciate it!

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 27 Feb 2015 10:43 am

Priyaamies wrote:Thanks all for your replies.
Appreciate it!
Priya,

We are not deliberately trying to rain on your parade, here. We tend to err on the side of caution and do not, if we can help it, blow smoke (feel good words) but rather give the unvarnished truth as we see it. The regulars here have amassed a heck of a lot of anecdotal data that is constantly shifting regarding the current unspoken policies of the government here. We try our best to give the most accurate answers as we currently see them. Some of us are in those industries, some of us are HR functionaries, and some of us have been here for too long already! :cry: But you can always look on it as getting an accurate reading and if you go ahead and apply, you might get lucky! Or you might end up foregoing another offer that may well have had more legs in the long term but might have meant a major shift to a different country. We just try to give you enough perspective so as to help you make that decision and the attitude needed IF you do. If you apply in the face of overwhelming odds, two things can happen. More of the same or you get lucky (like the odds of winning the US powerball). Good Luck in any case.

sms
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Fri, 27 Feb 2015 11:22 am

^^^^^^^^
+1... and Like

Who has taken over the body of SMS... some kinder and gentler soul?

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Fri, 27 Feb 2015 12:03 pm

Priyaamies wrote:I guess we'll have to wait it out. Safety first. I don't think US, UK , Australia are safe. ](*,)
Talk about a ridiculous generalisation :o I wouldn't be surprised if ICA would interpret it in the same way. An old adage comes to mind, re: being wary of a friend who criticises or back-stabs his other friends to you in conversation; i.e. it can be a good indicator that they might smile to your face, but then criticise you in a similar way to their other friends.

Sometimes I wonder if there is some kind of metric used by ICA re: PR applications, a kind of 'Desperation Index'. Because one gets a sense that those exhibiting high levels of desperation via the likes of repeat applications, running to MPs (when they can't even vote, for heavens sake!) are precisely the kind of people SG do not favour. Sudden 'volunteering' also carries a scent of cynical desperation, and is often selfish rather than selfless IMHO.

The point being made earlier, and in the whole it seems, is that presently SG doesn't want you as PRs. I suspect that they consider that you are applying more for self-centred reasons, rather than you fitting into SGs current needs and policies. And they've seen legions of your fellow countrymen get PR here and then shortly thereafter quit for greener pastures, even to 'unsafe' western countries.

So right now you're a square peg, slamming away desperately to fit a round hole. Have you read 'Who moved my cheese?'; it would seem prescient to your situation?

[Just my 2c, and in case it's not apparent, this is meant 101% constructively!]

p.s. Genuine LOL at the Eagle above ^ :lol:
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Fri, 27 Feb 2015 12:20 pm

JR8 wrote:
Priyaamies wrote:I guess we'll have to wait it out. Safety first. I don't think US, UK , Australia are safe. ](*,)
Talk about a ridiculous generalisation
Haven't you heard?

* Everything in Australia is trying to kill you.
* All Americans have guns.
* Extremist Muslims are taking over the UK.

She forgot Canada:

* Canada is a frozen tundra of a wasteland.

:roll:
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Fri, 27 Feb 2015 12:43 pm

JR8 wrote: Sudden 'volunteering' also carries a scent of cynical desperation, and is often selfish rather than selfless IMHO.
Continuing a thought on a broader philosophical theme... [hey, it's been a 3-espresso morning!]

Since genuine charity entails that it be entirely selfless; is listing 'charitable deeds' diametrically the reverse, and hence self-defeating?

Might it be that listing such deeds, perhaps with a eye to gaining merit from them maxes out ICAs Bull$hitometer-Bell?

On the flipside, might not mentioning them, but ICA discovering said deeds during part of their background research into the applicant, positively count in your favour?

I of course realise that even if that were so, it'd still be a micro facet when compared versus the whole of an application...
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard

bgd
Manager
Manager

Post by bgd » Fri, 27 Feb 2015 12:47 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:^^^^^^^^
+1... and Like

He's just having an off day, he'll bounce back. :D

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Fri, 27 Feb 2015 1:43 pm

bgd wrote:
Strong Eagle wrote:^^^^^^^^
+1... and Like

He's just having an off day, he'll bounce back. :D
Image Image