Singapore Expats

Renewal of REP for those PRS who surrender their Son's PR

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Tue, 08 Jan 2013 11:03 am

Kakibukit wrote:
The issue is not with us. The issue is with your NS requirements. We follow your NS policy. It says that if our sons cancel their PR before NS is due, they are allowed to leave. So where is the crime?
Correct. Today, there is no crime by the letter of the law. But when the spirit of the law is abused en masse, expect the letter of the law to change. If it doesn't, expect the public backlash to negatively impact future applicants from your country. But them, the common perception is people from your country don't give a shit about anyone but themselves. You demonstrate this yourself with your comments.

And here is link to TRE article, thanks OSOD for the tip:
http://www.tremeritus.com/2013/01/07/in ... l-service/

Hidy Ho
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Hidy Ho » Tue, 08 Jan 2013 11:11 am

This thread is now reported on AsiaOne ..

URL CENSORED DUE TO COPYRIGHT ISSUES

Saint
Director
Director

Post by Saint » Tue, 08 Jan 2013 11:36 am

Ever since the OP and his family (I don't believe this "A friend of mine...." for one moment) became PRs they have enjoy total financial benefits in terms of housing, education, health care, CPF etc etc. As soon as your family have to give back to Singapore you blatently refuse and send your Son packing off overseas. Yes you managed to cancel your Son's PR but most probably at the same time the ICA :wave: have flagged the rest of your family as "Undesireables" when the renewal of REP is due.

Singapore invited you to become PRs which allows you to stay in Singapore and contribute to it's success and in return enjoy certain benefits. Singapore can at any point, especially during the REP renewal process, withdrawal that invitation which I hope they will do or just give you a 1 year REP to sort out your exit from Singapore.

Kakibukit

Post by Kakibukit » Tue, 08 Jan 2013 12:59 pm

[quote="zzm9980"][quote="Kakibukit"]

The issue is not with us. The issue is with your NS requirements. We follow your NS policy. It says that if our sons cancel their PR before NS is due, they are allowed to leave. So where is the crime?[/quote]

Correct. Today, there is no crime by the letter of the law. But when the spirit of the law is abused en masse, expect the letter of the law to change. If it doesn't, expect the public backlash to negatively impact future applicants from your country. But them, the common perception is people from your country don't give a shit about anyone but themselves. You demonstrate this yourself with your comments.

------

I agree with you on this. So all your government needs to do is to implement more stringent measures and conditions on PR in Singapore, like those in Israel. This will make potential foreigners who want to work here think carefully before they take up jobs in Singapore and PR status for themselves, and their children. Until that's done, those PR kids who have in the past gave up the PR, before NS was due, have not violated or abused any immigration rules/laws.

Mi Amigo
Manager
Manager

Post by Mi Amigo » Tue, 08 Jan 2013 1:04 pm

Saint wrote:Ever since the OP and his family (I don't believe this "A friend of mine...." for one moment) became PRs they have enjoy total financial benefits in terms of housing, education, health care, CPF etc etc. As soon as your family have to give back to Singapore you blatently refuse and send your Son packing off overseas. Yes you managed to cancel your Son's PR but most probably at the same time the ICA :wave: have flagged the rest of your family as "Undesireables" when the renewal of REP is due.

Singapore invited you to become PRs which allows you to stay in Singapore and contribute to it's success and in return enjoy certain benefits. Singapore can at any point, especially during the REP renewal process, withdrawal that invitation which I hope they will do or just give you a 1 year REP to sort out your exit from Singapore.
^^^ +1

True, the relevant people may not have broken the law, but IMO their actions are cynical, selfish and against the spirit of the PR scheme. But it seems that nowadays the common attitude among many here is Me Me Me, take all you can and don't worry about giving anything back to the country that welcomed you in.

Hopefully those visitors from other sites reading these posts will see that not all 'FTs' are the same in their outlook and actions. Or alternatively, this may just spark another round of vitriolic 'anti-foreigner' rhetoric against all of us. Unfortunately I suspect the latter is more likely.
Be careful what you wish for

Mi Amigo
Manager
Manager

Post by Mi Amigo » Tue, 08 Jan 2013 1:24 pm

I note with interest that the OP ('Krishnaa Mohan') posted once on 13th December and hasn't posted again. Call me Mr. Suspicious, but do you think that post could have been planted by 'someone' to get a reaction?

On the other hand, there are a lot of details in the post for it to be a 'fishing' exercise.

[If I wasn't for my tin-foil hat, the conspirators would have got me by now ;-) ]

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Tue, 08 Jan 2013 1:44 pm

Mi Amigo wrote:I note with interest that the OP ('Krishnaa Mohan') posted once on 13th December and hasn't posted again. Call me Mr. Suspicious, but do you think that post could have been planted by 'someone' to get a reaction?

On the other hand, there are a lot of details in the post for it to be a 'fishing' exercise.

[If I wasn't for my tin-foil hat, the conspirators would have got me by now ;-) ]
Or he probably got frightened off by the reality-slap replies to his post?

Mi Amigo
Manager
Manager

Post by Mi Amigo » Tue, 08 Jan 2013 2:05 pm

Yeah, that's the more likely explanation. Mind you he was only asking on behalf of his friend ;-)

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Tue, 08 Jan 2013 2:18 pm

vishalgupta2 wrote:"Another Indian just abused the system..."
The TRE article also highlighted your comment :lol:

Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

Re: Renewal of REP for those PRS who surrender their Son's P

Post by Mad Scientist » Tue, 08 Jan 2013 2:24 pm

================

I say it from 1st hand experience. Your REP has nothing to do with your son's PR status. Singapore government is very rational. And I am not alone, I know another friend who is still in Singapore as PR but his son has given up his.

I have another friend who did it differently. He has never applied for PR for his sons, and they studied in Singapore as foreign students. So his son didn't have to do NS.

And to do it this way, your son has to give up PR status (if he was a PR from birth) before he is 12 years old. After that, they can study in Singapore as foreign students, and pay higher fees. I believe that applies even to citizens.

Even if my son wants to come back to work in Singapore, he still can by taking up NS again as a pre-condition. At least this was told to us when he gave up his PR status.

There must be unusual circumstances in your case if your REP is not renewed simply because your son has given up his PR.[/quote]

This is taken out from ICA guidelines. There is no way one can get away from this > If your "friend" is first gen PR his son is liable for NS period.Once your son given up the PR to regain it is not set in stone. This I can concur. It is not given pre condition once he serves NS his PR is return to him. It only removes his liability condition under first gen PR application which clearly states 2nd Gen PR needs to serves NS.

15. A SPR will lose his/her PR status if he/she travels out of Singapore or remains outside Singapore without a valid REP. On his/her return to Singapore, he/she may report to the Permanent Resident Services Centre, ICA, to apply for reinstatement of the SPR status. If the reinstatement is approved, an administrative fee of S$50 will be levied.
National Service Liability
16. Under the Enlistment Act, all male Singapore Citizens and Permanent Residents (PRs) are liable to register for National Service (NS) upon reaching 16½ years old. They are required to serve 2 years of full-time NS at 18 years old, followed by 40 days of Operationally Ready National Service per year till the age of 50 years (for officers) or 40 years (for other ranks).
17. Main applicants who are granted PR status under the first generation Professionals, Technical Personnel and Skilled Workers Scheme or the Investor Scheme are exempted from NS. Male children who are granted PR status under their parents' sponsorship are liable for NS under the Enlistment Act. All NS-liable males aged 13 years old and above, are required to obtain an Exit Permit (EP) when travelling overseas for 3 months or more.
18. NS-liable PRs are expected to serve NS. Renouncing or losing one's PR status without serving or completing full-time NS would have an adverse impact on any immediate or future applications to work or study in Singapore, or for Singapore Citizenship or PR status.
19. Male ex-Singapore Citizens and ex-Singapore Permanent Residents who are granted Singapore PR status are liable to be called up for NS regardless of the type of PR status they are granted. For further enquiries, please write to:-
Central Manpower Base
CMPB Podium
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

Mi Amigo
Manager
Manager

Post by Mi Amigo » Tue, 08 Jan 2013 3:40 pm

the lynx wrote:
Kind of ironic, no?

I took a quick peek at the TRE article - it certainly seems to have provoked a reaction. Unfortunately some of the comments are as rabid as I feared - e.g. a call to mount "a concerted effort to exterminate these parasitic scums." Not sure whether all us 'FTs' fall into this category, or just the NS dodgers; either way this is not exactly reasoned debate.

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager

Post by offshoreoildude » Tue, 08 Jan 2013 4:25 pm

Mi Amigo wrote:
the lynx wrote:
Kind of ironic, no?

I took a quick peek at the TRE article - it certainly seems to have provoked a reaction. Unfortunately some of the comments are as rabid as I feared - e.g. a call to mount "a concerted effort to exterminate these parasitic scums." Not sure whether all us 'FTs' fall into this category, or just the NS dodgers; either way this is not exactly reasoned debate.
There's some pretty hard core trolls on TRE.
Now I'm called PNGMK

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Tue, 08 Jan 2013 9:36 pm

re: the TRE article.

With copyright I understand you can quote excerpts of an article published elsewhere, as part of a wider discussion on that topic. But is using a screenshot of an entire copyrighted page from another website allowed?

It would be most unfortunate if TRE are breaking SGn law.

morenangpinay
Reporter
Reporter

Post by morenangpinay » Tue, 08 Jan 2013 10:43 pm

No its not allowed unless they obtain permission from the owner. Well someone must report them. In case they're reading. Your writers are crap.

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager

Post by offshoreoildude » Tue, 08 Jan 2013 11:26 pm

morenangpinay wrote:No its not allowed unless they obtain permission from the owner. Well someone must report them. In case they're reading. Your writers are crap.
Oh don't go there. We don't need a whole bunch of illiterate Sinky trolls over here.
Now I'm called PNGMK