Singapore Expats

DIY Home Repair: Light replacement advice

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
PNGMK
Answers: 10

Re: DIY Home Repair: Light replacement advice

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 23 Dec 2014 11:37 am

JR8 wrote:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrical ... c_ballasts

I was looking into the function of a 'ballast', and found the above. It was useful in explaining how it, the starter, and bulb work together... thot might be of interest to DIYers who aren't electronic engineers :)
I've had three ballasts (not the tube, not the starter, not the wiring) fail in the last two months. It's crazy - in 50 years I never seen a failed ballast! (they're electrically simple).... so now I just rip the fighting off and put up an LED based light.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Tue, 23 Dec 2014 11:44 am

PNGMK wrote:I've had three ballasts (not the tube, not the starter, not the wiring) fail in the last two months. It's crazy - in 50 years I never seen a failed ballast! (they're electrically simple).... so now I just rip the fighting off and put up an LED based light.
I've had issues with circuits of halogen low voltage lights (dichroic bulbs), and the associated transformers blowing. It gets expensive especially when they take out the bulbs too. What was quite clear in those situations was that it pays to get quality 'trannies'.

Pre-assembled fittings complete with trannies tend to use the cheapest components (and that includes most manufacturers, right down to IKEA).
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 23 Dec 2014 11:53 am

JR8 wrote:
PNGMK wrote:I've had three ballasts (not the tube, not the starter, not the wiring) fail in the last two months. It's crazy - in 50 years I never seen a failed ballast! (they're electrically simple).... so now I just rip the fighting off and put up an LED based light.
I've had issues with circuits of halogen low voltage lights (dichroic bulbs), and the associated transformers blowing. It gets expensive especially when they take out the bulbs too. What was quite clear in those situations was that it pays to get quality 'trannies'.

Pre-assembled fittings complete with trannies tend to use the cheapest components (and that includes most manufacturers, right down to IKEA).
Yes - I hear you. I assume the ballasts are cheap and either the insulation is failing in the heat/humidity or the winding is going open circuit. Drives me spare (I hate working on things above my head).
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

Steve1960
Editor
Editor

Post by Steve1960 » Tue, 23 Dec 2014 11:54 am

JR8 wrote: Pre-assembled fittings complete with trannies tend to use the cheapest components (and that includes most manufacturers, right down to IKEA).
I used the plain vanilla IKEA light units nothing but the base, bulb connectors and shade. Then fitted low energy fluorescent bulbs with built in ballast. I do agree on quality concerns though not all of those bulbs are made equal. I chose to buy Phillips and they seem to have been fine to date.

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Tue, 23 Dec 2014 1:04 pm

PNGMK wrote:
JR8 wrote:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrical ... c_ballasts

I was looking into the function of a 'ballast', and found the above. It was useful in explaining how it, the starter, and bulb work together... thot might be of interest to DIYers who aren't electronic engineers :)
I've had three ballasts (not the tube, not the starter, not the wiring) fail in the last two months. It's crazy - in 50 years I never seen a failed ballast! (they're electrically simple).... so now I just rip the fighting off and put up an LED based light.
You aren't alone I've replaced one of those things this year and I've had three blacked out tubes as well, it appears that the quality of electrical products are intentionally degraded to have customers buy them more quickly than necessary.

I went to Jalan Besar to get a replacement Ballast, i found one similar to the one zzm posted but the quality was atrocious, it looked like it was waiting to fail from right from the time I took it out of the shop. :lol:
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

Sanjana00

Post by Sanjana00 » Wed, 16 Dec 2020 6:40 pm

Hello there, so I opened my kitchen light today due to a fused bulb and found out that the starter holder was broken and brought a new one but I do not know how to take out the previous starter holder wires and set up the new one. Can somebody please help?

malcontent
Manager
Manager
Answers: 8

Post by malcontent » Thu, 17 Dec 2020 1:18 am

We installed over a dozen of the square LED type recessed lighting in our condo. Kind of regret it now. We have had problems with several of them not working over the years... not the LEDs themselves, but the other components can fail and then it won’t work (and these were supposed to be the best ones).
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr