Singapore Expats

Will applying for citizenship effect my REP renewal?

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
e2power

Will applying for citizenship effect my REP renewal?

Post by e2power » Wed, 02 May 2012 3:31 pm

I am considering to apply for citizenship. I just curious, just in case they reject my application for citizenship, will that effect the chance for my REP to get renewed?

My REP will expire in Dec-2013, and this will be the 2nd renewal, the first renewal was about 9 years ago. I also notice that now REP is only been renewed for 5 years, no more 10 years?

Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

Post by Mad Scientist » Wed, 02 May 2012 3:54 pm

Get your second REP renewed then apply citizenship. DO NOT DO IT now.
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

e2power

Post by e2power » Wed, 02 May 2012 4:50 pm

Mad Scientist wrote:Get your second REP renewed then apply citizenship. DO NOT DO IT now.
MS, so are you saying if my citizenship application get rejected it may impact my PR?

Will the age become a problem? I will hit 40 by next year. No boys

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Wed, 02 May 2012 5:27 pm

He's trying to help you to avoid a potentially 'double whammy' situation.

Remember, there is NO guarantee that you will get to renew your REP if your citizenship application got rejected.

e2power

Post by e2power » Wed, 02 May 2012 5:37 pm

the lynx wrote:He's trying to help you to avoid a potentially 'double whammy' situation.

Remember, there is NO guarantee that you will get to renew your REP if your citizenship application got rejected.
ok... i got it....

i understand there is no guarantee for everything right? but does it mean if i get the citizenship application rejected, will this significantly lower the chance?

i read somewhere that there is invitation to apply for citizenship. if i do not get the invitation does this mean my chance is lower?

BTW, here is my profile:
Indon Chinese Male, Single, 39, US educated (both Bachelor and Master from top US uni), part time degree from Aussie uni done in SG (Master). Earning $10K+ now, own morgaged HDB with my sis for the past 8 years now. Our mom is here with LT pass. Been here since 1999, on landed PR scheme.

Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

Post by Mad Scientist » Wed, 02 May 2012 6:31 pm

e2power wrote:
the lynx wrote:He's trying to help you to avoid a potentially 'double whammy' situation.

ok... i got it....

i understand there is no guarantee for everything right? but does it mean if i get the citizenship application rejected, will this significantly lower the chance?

i read somewhere that there is invitation to apply for citizenship. if i do not get the invitation does this mean my chance is lower?

BTW, here is my profile:
Indon Chinese Male, Single, 39, US educated (both Bachelor and Master from top US uni), part time degree from Aussie uni done in SG (Master). Earning $10K+ now, own morgaged HDB with my sis for the past 8 years now. Our mom is here with LT pass. Been here since 1999, on landed PR scheme.
Sometime I wonder whether what I wrote is too simple to understand or it became too complicated to understand that it needs to be simplify.

OP ; which part my statement you do not understand? Do you want me to speak to you in Bahasa Indonesia?
These questions are two fold and you are muddying it worse that rojak mama.

1. PR renewal is based on 5 year tenure. You have to get your first renewal done before you can even proceed to do other things. No REP NO NEED TO KNOW ABOUT CITIZENSHIP.

2. Citizenship by invitation is not in your profile. Trust me. You came under family ties. Not married.SOP for Citizenship can be apply between 2 to 6 years. 6 years PRship has more chance of getting approval .
It does not mean if you are not invited your chance will be lower. Every application is on its merit and each application differs from the other
With such a High IQ , I would have thought you would understand a very simple statement.

Do you still need me to tell you in Bahasa Indonesia or Mandarin or Jawa
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

e2power

Post by e2power » Wed, 02 May 2012 6:59 pm

Mad Scientist wrote:
1. PR renewal is based on 5 year tenure. You have to get your first renewal done before you can even proceed to do other things. No REP NO NEED TO KNOW ABOUT CITIZENSHIP.
I have got my first renewal in 2003. So next year will be my second renewal.

In the other reply, you suggested to do it after the second renewal. I understand this from the Risk Mitigation strategy (to avoid double whammy effect). But in this reply, you mentioned that "REP no need to know about the citizenship"

So I am a bit confuse here, if applying citizenship has no "effect" for the chance for my REP get renewed, perhaps it is better to quickly submit the application and hope that I do not need to go through the hazzle for REP renewal next year?

Am I missing something?

BTW, you mentioned about "You came under family ties". I do not think I got my PR based on family ties, I believe I was under this :
In-Principle PR Application – under which international talents who reside outside of Singapore and are interested in living, studying or working here, may apply for approval (in-principle).

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 02 May 2012 8:27 pm

e2power wrote:
Mad Scientist wrote:

I think that MS mis-read your post. You had a 5 year REP initially when you came in on LPR (which is actually part of the PTS Scheme, not the Family Ties Scheme). At the time of your 1st renewal, they gave you a 10-year REP which is coming up for renewal in 2013 which will mean you will have been a PR for around 13 or 14 years at renewal. Well over the 6 year/1st renewal for optimum application for citizenship. How'em I doin' so far? ;-)

In the other reply, you suggested to do it after the second renewal. I understand this from the Risk Mitigation strategy (to avoid double whammy effect). But in this reply, you mentioned that "REP no need to know about the citizenship"

So I am a bit confuse here, if applying citizenship has no "effect" for the chance for my REP get renewed, perhaps it is better to quickly submit the application and hope that I do not need to go through the hazzle for REP renewal next year?

Am I missing something?

BTW, you mentioned about "You came under family ties". I do not think I got my PR based on family ties, I believe I was under this :
In-Principle PR Application – under which international talents who reside outside of Singapore and are interested in living, studying or working here, may apply for approval (in-principle).
I'm of mixed feelings about this. In theory, you should be in good shape to apply now with no problems. You tick all the right boxes and have been here as an LPR for 13 years already. I don't think being single is a real problem although you age, well, let's say, doesn't lead one to believing that you can contribute to the TFR here which is a primary concern for the granting of Citizenship. What impetus is there for the Government to give you Citizenship? Taxes? They are already getting that. In fact, in your current situation, you create additional liabilities to them instead of your becoming an asset as you are not producing any offspring to renew the population at all.

With that in view, if I were the government, I would have to think long and hard even renewing your REP again as it is obvious you never had any intentions of taking up citizenship until push came to shove. So, looking at it totally objectively, while coming from a different thought process, I come to the same conclusion as MS in so much as you might want to ensure your survival here for at least 5 more years. As you have read here I'm sure, we have already seen some who have not had their REPs renewed for reasons, at this point, unknown to us. But it is happening. Sorry, but you know me, I tell it like I see it. I hope I'm wrong, but my gut is pretty strange that way.

sms
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

e2power

Post by e2power » Wed, 02 May 2012 9:17 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
e2power wrote:
Mad Scientist wrote:

I think that MS mis-read your post. You had a 5 year REP initially when you came in on LPR (which is actually part of the PTS Scheme, not the Family Ties Scheme). At the time of your 1st renewal, they gave you a 10-year REP which is coming up for renewal in 2013 which will mean you will have been a PR for around 13 or 14 years at renewal. Well over the 6 year/1st renewal for optimum application for citizenship. How'em I doin' so far? ;-)

Am I missing something?

I'm of mixed feelings about this. In theory, you should be in good shape to apply now with no problems. You tick all the right boxes and have been here as an LPR for 13 years already. I don't think being single is a real problem although you age, well, let's say, doesn't lead one to believing that you can contribute to the TFR here which is a primary concern for the granting of Citizenship. What impetus is there for the Government to give you Citizenship? Taxes? They are already getting that. In fact, in your current situation, you create additional liabilities to them instead of your becoming an asset as you are not producing any offspring to renew the population at all.

With that in view, if I were the government, I would have to think long and hard even renewing your REP again as it is obvious you never had any intentions of taking up citizenship until push came to shove. So, looking at it totally objectively, while coming from a different thought process, I come to the same conclusion as MS in so much as you might want to ensure your survival here for at least 5 more years. As you have read here I'm sure, we have already seen some who have not had their REPs renewed for reasons, at this point, unknown to us. But it is happening. Sorry, but you know me, I tell it like I see it. I hope I'm wrong, but my gut is pretty strange that way.

sms
Sms thanks for the feedback. That's my worry too, as I aged.

Actually it is not because I will have to renew my REP next year than I am thinking to get the citizenship. The longer I stay here I found less reason why I will go back "home" as I feel here is more home than there.

So even for next year when I have to renew my REP there is chances for it o get rejected. This is why I ask my original post. Assuming I apply for citizenship now, I still have about 18 month to the time for my REP renewal.

Two possibilities:
Good news my application is approved so this will not be a problem.
Bad news my aplication got rejected. If this happen, will it mean my chance to get REP renewed will be lower compare if I do not attempt the citizenship application?

If no, isn't it better for me to try my luck? If it is, then I probably should not even try now. Or this something unknown?

Saint
Director
Director

Post by Saint » Thu, 03 May 2012 8:48 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:

sms
And how long have you been PR and how many times have you had your REP renewed SMS?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 03 May 2012 8:59 am

Three times and around 17 years I think. But I'm in a different situation entirely. I'm well over 55, which after that point in time, you don't even have to be employed if you are on the Family Ties scheme (which I am). My last was a 10 year renewal just before they stopped it but was told then that I didn't need to be working to continue to have it renewed. Additionally, I've produced the desired 2 Singaporean children (one of each flavour) and one is currently doing his NS. My only unticked boxes is that my wife is not Chinese but Indian.

I believe you are also in on the Family Ties Scheme aren't you?
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers