Singapore Expats

Student Pass expired but i didnt surrender it, help?

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
papertown

Student Pass expired but i didnt surrender it, help?

Post by papertown » Fri, 10 Jun 2011 5:30 pm

Hi.

My student pass was expired since April but i didn't surrender it, partly because i wasn't informed that i had to ( i know it's my own fault that i didnt read up enough about it prior to this :( ) .

so i have the expired student pass with me, but i do not stay in Singapore anymore. but whenever i do pay a visit to Singapore occasionally, i use those embarkation cards and get my passport stamped, like a tourist. i had been in and out of Singapore this way for a few times and no one said a thing at the immigration checkpoint.

i hope that i won't be deemed as residing in singapore illegally for holding on to the expired student pass :( but im still kinda scared. should i go return my overdue expired student pass at the ICA?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 10 Jun 2011 6:05 pm

In a word....

Yes.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

papertown

Post by papertown » Fri, 10 Jun 2011 6:21 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:In a word....

Yes.
ok. thanks for the quick reply.

i really dont know what to anticipate..i hope i wont get arrested or anything. oh man.

Saint
Director
Director

Post by Saint » Fri, 10 Jun 2011 8:10 pm

Were you studying a Masters?

ausinsg
Regular
Regular

Post by ausinsg » Sun, 12 Jun 2011 2:06 am

Did you leave Singapore by the date which the student pass expired though?

You should return the student pass to them. But if you left the country and the student pass expired once you are outside of the country, then you came back and entered with a social visit pass, you have made a minor mistake, but you have not been here illegally.

In a typical situation when you return your student pass, they normally take it back, and issue you with a social visit pass, and a letter which has the date by which you need to leave the country.

Maybe give ICA a call and explain your situation and ask what is the best thing to do.

FaeLLe
Chatter
Chatter

Re: Student Pass expired but i didnt surrender it, help?

Post by FaeLLe » Tue, 14 Jun 2011 12:15 pm

papertown wrote:Hi.

My student pass was expired since April but i didn't surrender it, partly because i wasn't informed that i had to ( i know it's my own fault that i didnt read up enough about it prior to this :( ) .

so i have the expired student pass with me, but i do not stay in Singapore anymore. but whenever i do pay a visit to Singapore occasionally, i use those embarkation cards and get my passport stamped, like a tourist. i had been in and out of Singapore this way for a few times and no one said a thing at the immigration checkpoint.

i hope that i won't be deemed as residing in singapore illegally for holding on to the expired student pass :( but im still kinda scared. should i go return my overdue expired student pass at the ICA?
You are exactly in the same situation as me.

I never handed in my Student Pass (was here for an MBA) when I left Singapore after my studies.
Eventually came back few years later on an EP and never really returned my Student Pass. It is still at home with me.

Immigration records indicate you exited the country while still having a valid visa. So you wont be treated as an over stayer.

If you have the card with you I think you can just walk up to MOM and drop it in the box that says card return or something.

Alternatively just hang on it till asked, feign knowledge of having the need to return it.

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Tue, 14 Jun 2011 2:44 pm

Cancellation of Student’s Pass
Foreign students must surrender their Student’s
Pass for cancellation within 7 days from the date
of cessation or termination of their study.
Students may surrender their Student’s Pass at
the Student’s Pass Unit, 4th floor, ICA Building, or
at the checkpoints when departing the country. A
copy of the cancellation form is available at the
Student’s Pass Unit or can be downloaded from
ICA’s website at www.ica.gov.sg.
Students who surrender their Student’s Passes at
ICA will be granted a short stay in Singapore on
cancellation of their Student’s Passes. If the
student wishes to have a longer period of stay to
look for jobs on completion of their courses,
he/she may submits an application for a one-year
(non-renewable) long term social visit pass at the
Social Visit Pass Unit for consideration

Though i doubt you will get the cane :lol: :P
You're probably not the only ones it happens too, so i guess providing no laws have been broken you are safe, if you have broken the law...you will be dealt with!

FaeLLe
Chatter
Chatter

Post by FaeLLe » Tue, 14 Jun 2011 3:18 pm

ksl wrote:
You're probably not the only ones it happens too, so i guess providing no laws have been broken you are safe, if you have broken the law...you will be dealt with!
Ill drink to that!

hahnhahn

Post by hahnhahn » Wed, 22 Jun 2011 4:19 pm

Hi to all,

I was reading through the forum threads and would like to check with you all on a few things on my girlfriend.

1) With a VALID student pass, does she need an entry visa if she were to visit SG again?

2) With an EXPIRED student pass, does she need to return/surrender the expired student pass? If she did not return/surrender the expired student pass, can she successfully get her entry visa to SG again?

3) By CANCELLING her student pass, can she successfully get her entry visa to SG again?

Thanks for helping.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 22 Jun 2011 5:01 pm

hahnhahn wrote:Hi to all,

I was reading through the forum threads and would like to check with you all on a few things on my girlfriend.

1) With a VALID student pass, does she need an entry visa if she were to visit SG again?

2) With an EXPIRED student pass, does she need to return/surrender the expired student pass? If she did not return/surrender the expired student pass, can she successfully get her entry visa to SG again?

3) By CANCELLING her student pass, can she successfully get her entry visa to SG again?

Thanks for helping.
Have you read this thread yet?
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

G_Yamada

Post by G_Yamada » Sat, 26 Aug 2017 12:22 pm

hi, I have a expired student pass that I have not returned. H probably won't be coming to Singapore anytime soon because of how busy my work is. I'm wondering if I can have someone who's transiting to Singapore return my student pass for me?

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Sun, 27 Aug 2017 11:50 am

G_Yamada wrote:hi, I have a expired student pass that I have not returned. H probably won't be coming to Singapore anytime soon because of how busy my work is. I'm wondering if I can have someone who's transiting to Singapore return my student pass for me?
Post it to ICA?

G_Yamada

Post by G_Yamada » Sun, 27 Aug 2017 6:19 pm

ecureilx wrote:
G_Yamada wrote:hi, I have a expired student pass that I have not returned. H probably won't be coming to Singapore anytime soon because of how busy my work is. I'm wondering if I can have someone who's transiting to Singapore return my student pass for me?
Post it to ICA?
Problem is my friend is only transiting. Probably not enough time to go out. Any way to return it in the airport?

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Sun, 27 Aug 2017 6:25 pm

G_Yamada wrote:
ecureilx wrote:
Post it to ICA?
Problem is my friend is only transiting. Probably not enough time to go out. Any way to return it in the airport?
So why can't you post it yourself?

Oh, you are busy

In that case why not just bother about it?

G_Yamada

Post by G_Yamada » Sun, 27 Aug 2017 7:13 pm

Just need to be sure. Coz posting it from my town is quite expensive(even if it's just mail) and we if unlucky I would get squeezed for quite some more sum. That is why I'd like to avoid posting it from my town.

Just need to be sure if not returning it would not cause me trouble in the future.